Not possible to save projects without files

tovinho

yes, I can do that tomorrow (I use an external drive to save them), and now I'm at home. But trying to be faster, the project I'm talking about has only audio files. And this is not the first time it happens. I'm not sure, but I think LPX sometimes does it, and sometimes not.

Thank you for your attention. Tomorrow I'll send the screeshots.

Yep, had that too. I looked at my screen with the disbelief of a disappointed parent and shook my head... :roll: . "No, I told you NOT to copy the audio files, dammit!"

The project:

417693708_pic2013-11-10at10_30_26.thumb.PNG.6870bce6750e5593afd7b9ed02ef4033.PNG

The Save As... dialog:

498006364_pic2013-11-10at10_30_51.PNG.4b65178b7bf1c0e07d1bc85297c3d4ec.PNG

The result:

1045963851_pic2013-11-10at10_33_36.PNG.6469bd924b5e8be5d531df8d9663546f.PNG

As an extra test, I then proceeded to delete the copied audio files from the test project and opened the test project again - sure enough, the audio files are reported "missing". Clicking the "search" button in the "missing" dialog however, locates them all in less than a second and the project loads.

Still, it is annoying to have to manually delete the unwanted copies.

Edited by Eriksimon

• 1 month later...

I just checked again, and it was my bad: I tested it on a project with only few MB of audio files, which were copied so quickly that I never got a "Copying..." progress window. They did however get copied, both as package or folder. I should have checked in Finder before posting...

So, not fixed.

• 1 month later...

Logic will create new audio files when merging, freezing, converting to interleaved, etc.

Have you tried setting the "Audio Record Path" to a different folder than the "project" folder?

Project Settings-> Audio ->Recording: Audio Record Path

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Hoping to revive this old thread because Logic X is still doing this in 2016! Even with ALL options to include files unchecked while doing a 'save as', it insists on copying all the files of a project to a new project or folder depending on which I choose. Its driving me insane. My workflow in Logic since 1995 has been to 'save as' every once in a while to be able to go back to a previous version of a track at will. It has saved my ass a number of times and is also useful when making several different mixes of a song. I do not want or need the audio files recopied! they are already right there and many of my projects are huge 20 gig monsters. Is there any way to simply 'save as' just the session into the existing folder now? Please please there must be, its so basic. Help!

• 4 weeks later...

I've worked in Pro Tools for many years and moved to Logic Pro X last year.  I much prefer LPX for composing.   It's so much better. 

I've just discovered this issue.  I can't believe this function doesn't work.  As a film composer I have lots and lots of cues with QuickTime files and the audio from a film in a project takes up a lot of memory.  As a result of this issue every cue I write is hundreds of MB or even close to a GB!  I can have hundreds of demo cues and sketches, so this issue really is a problem for a media composer. 

This issue should really be fixed.  It's not even a bug.  It's a basic function of the software that doesn't work as it should!

• 1 year later...
Sorry to revive an old thread, but Logic Pro X will respect the "don't copy audio files" setting if your original project is saved as a folder (not a package) AND the new "save as" project is also saved as a folder (not a package) AND both projects are actually in the same folder. So, if you are working on a number of alternate versions, or a number of songs from the same recording session, just be sure to keep them all in the same folder and don't use the "package" option.

Seems to be working fine here with packages as well... Did you change the default recording path to not record to the folder?

Off Topic: How do you like your 16.0.2. - I have one (awesome audio interface) and just bought the Studiolive III and am using it with Logic in the Studio - Just fabulous.