LPX MIDI Draw bug [SEMI-FIXED]

mysticfm

-----------------------

Moderator note:

The original issue with the Pencil and Scissors Tool is fixed but this bug still manifests itself when copying events between regions in the Score editor .

-----------------------

Ever since the initial release of LPX and right up through the current 10.0.6 version I have occasionally been bothered by MIDI Draw issues, but until now I could not figure out how to reproduce them. Now I have done so, and I would appreciate it if one or more others could try the attached LPX project to see if they can duplicate the issue.

Specifically, when I open the Piano Roll Editor, then open the MIDI Draw panel, and then use the pencil tool to draw in new events for a region (almost always modulation events, as in the attached example), the actual point at which the new events are created is actually to the right of the actual position of the tool. That would be annoying enough, but something about the tool not being lined up causes the newly created control events to get mixed in with the existing events at those locations ... as if the code of the tool that erases existing events in favor of newly drawn events is in sync with the tool's actual position, but the location at which the new events are being created is out of sync. This makes a heck of a mess out of the MIDI draw results.

I have also now identified a specific scenario that has been triggering this misbehavior (at least on my two Macs): if I record a new region, but the first measure is only control events, I often slide in the left side of the region by one measure in the Tracks view (by placing the cursor over the lower left edge of the region so that the left square bracket cursor appears and then clicking and dragging one measure to the right) in order to be able to repeat that region or position it flush against other regions later. When I do this, but there are still control events left in the first measure (events which are now "hidden" off to the left side of the start of the region), it seems to consistently trigger this behavior. The degree of the misbehavior varies, though ... in the example it is only offset by a modest amount (but still very detectable if you are zoomed in a bit), but at times for me the draw has been offset from the tool by as much as half a measure.

Note that other tools such as the pointer and eraser don't seem to have any such problem in MIDI Draw, even when I have trimmed the left side of the region as described.

The workaround I have found is to either not shrink the region in the first place (usually not an option), or to re-expand the region so that the first measure of control events are once again visible, and then carefully delete every last one of them in that measure. At that point I can re-shrink the beginning of the region to my desired position and use MIDI Draw thereafter without the same problem. Still, it seems to me to clearly be a bug.

Modulation Drawing Bug.zip

project with LPX MIDI Draw bug

Hi mysticfm, I downloaded your file and gave it a try..

the actual point at which the new events are created is actually to the right of the actual position of the tool.

I cannot reproduce that issue in the file attached. Control points are created at the exact position of the tip of the arrow of the Pointer tool. I can create a point right next to existing MIDI Draw data (wether to the left or to the right of the existing data) without messing up any of the existing data.

Hi mysticfm, I downloaded your file and gave it a try..
the actual point at which the new events are created is actually to the right of the actual position of the tool.

I cannot reproduce that issue in the file attached. Control points are created at the exact position of the tip of the arrow of the Pointer tool. I can create a point right next to existing MIDI Draw data (wether to the left or to the right of the existing data) without messing up any of the existing data.

I appreciate you testing it, although I cannot understand why you aren't seeing the same results as I.

I cannot understand why you aren't seeing the same results as I.

Neither can I unfortunately. Are you using your Mac's stock mouse? Is this problem only with MIDI Draw or have you noticed the same issue in other areas of Logic Pro X, or other software perhaps?

I'm using the built-in trackpad on my MacBook Pro, and a Magic TrackPad on my iMac. I have only seen this problem with the Pencil tool in MIDI Draw in LPX ... no other MIDI Draw tools and no other areas of Logic are showing any sort of offsets, and no other apps have been having any such problems either. And ... I see the same behavior with the Pencil tool in MIDI Draw on both of my Macs.

Very puzzling.

I have only seen this problem with the Pencil tool in MIDI Draw in LPX

I missed the fact that it was with the Pencil tool! I can now reproduce your issue in your file. However I cannot reproduce it in a new file.

Was this file started from an older template that came from Logic 9 or earlier by any chance?

No, not LP9. After I encountered the issue again yesterday and finally identified the cause, I created this test project from scratch in LPX to prove that I could reproduce the issue at will. (I thought I'd mentioned that in the original message, but now that I reread it, I guess I glossed over that.)

I have to confess that I'm thrilled that you were able to reproduce this, at least in my file. I also submitted a bug report to Apple on it, along with a link to my sample project. If you still can't reproduce it using the recipe that I laid out in the first message, then I wonder if I should try to find some sort of a screen recording facility so that I can visually show the steps involved?

I can confirm this too on an empty template.

The misplacement is related to amount of information you have hidden beyond 1 beat.

Workaround:

Cut out the additional information so that you don't have more that 1 beat of hidden events.

[attachment=0]Modulation_Drawing _Fix.zip[/attachment]

Thank you very much, Eric! After reading this, I confirmed that 1 beat seems to be the "breakpoint", beyond which this Pencil weirdness begins to occur in increasing amounts. That explains why sometimes the "offset" was larger in my case.

The original workaround I described above, being similar to yours but not allowing for anything prior to the new measure, was going to be a problem for me because I often record with soft attack sounds and modulated velocity (e.g., orchestral strings) that requires some events to be positioned before the downbeat in order to sound right. But now that I know I do have one beat of "hidden" material to work with without penalty, I think I can make that work until such time as Apple (hopefully) fixes this.

Thanks to both of you!

That's great.

Prior to Logic Pro X there was a limit of exactly one beat to hide events, that's what tipped me off.

Wow great work Eric. That means the bug is probably related to the newly restructured MIDI regions in LPX. Prior to LPX, a MIDI region referenced its events from its starting point, which made it nearly impossible to resize a region from the left edge. There has been a major overhaul of the structure of MIDI regions in LPX to enable free resizing from the left edge. Seems like that what is creating this issue.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...