10.0.7 track stacks lose smart controls external assignments

JJHP3

I'm having trouble using an external controller (Oxygen 88) with smart controls. Logic appears to learn the assignment, but nothing happens when I push the fader on the Oxygen 88. However, I set up a new user account with nothing else running and it works just fine in this account, but I would really like to get it working on my regular account. So, there appears to be some kind of conflict - but how would I go about resolving it?

Edit:

I'm not sure what I did, but it seems to be working now - though as others have pointed out, not inside a stack. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Smart Control external assignments in track stacks still not working in 10.4. I put in a bug report to Apple. Even if it still worked, not sure that I would use the workaround in the Controller Asssingment settings of choosing "software instrument" and it's #, instead of "selected track". I WANT to use "selected track". That's the way I have my template setup, with my 8 external control knobs mapped to 1-8 in smart controls for any and every track.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

It seems that this issue doesn't effect everyone!

I just saw footage of Spitfire Audios, Christian Henson adjusting the parameters of a cello in a stack, contained in a Spitfire Audio (SFA) template.

It's not so clear form the video, but I have the template and the track he's automating is in a stack.

Perhaps if this issue is only affecting some users, it explains why such a major issue has been ignored for so many years and updates..?

I'm wondering if it might be some kind of settings issue..?

Cheers

Joey Dolezal

• 2 months later...
Hi all

It seems that this issue doesn't effect everyone!

I just saw footage of Spitfire Audios, Christian Henson adjusting the parameters of a cello in a stack, contained in a Spitfire Audio (SFA) template...

He's not using Smart Controls though, he's just mapped the controller directly to the parameter (CC value), which works fine.

I've just found the same issue with Smart Controls and am almost resigned to the fact I can't really use folders/stacks anymore if I want to do this, surely this issue should be fixed?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mikerolls

• 1 month later...

What i don't understand is:

why using smart controls at all? what is the advantage of having to map smart controls rather than controlling your vst instruments directly from you hardware controllers?

Maybe i'm doing it wrong but the way i use Logic is i control any selected track's (even inside track stacks) expression, dynamics, vibrato etc of any vst instrument i want (once i set it up one time in the controller assignment expert view it's always gonna remember it).

So as an example, i have my nanokontrol studio with 8 faders, the first fader controls expression, second dynamics and third vibrato.

If I create a new file in logic, load a vst (like synchron strings pro or opus), load any preset, I can control the automation of expression, dynamics and vibrato right away from the nanokontrol.

I also filter out midi CC in the preferences so that it doesn't write any CC on the midi regions, as i just want to use automation curves in the arrangement view, where i can overwrite with latch or touch my automation curves.

What would smart controls add to my workflow?

Hey ravez :)

I suspect they won't add anything to your workflow because by the sounds of it you are manually mapping your hardware to your software.

I like using smart controls because I don't have to do any mapping. They are pre assigned to my hardware. It's just a shame they stop working when in stacks.

What i don't understand is:

why using smart controls at all? what is the advantage of having to map smart controls rather than controlling your vst instruments directly from you hardware controllers?

Maybe i'm doing it wrong but the way i use Logic is i control any selected track's (even inside track stacks) expression, dynamics, vibrato etc of any vst instrument i want (once i set it up one time in the controller assignment expert view it's always gonna remember it).

What would smart controls add to my workflow?

It wouldn't necessarily add anything to your workflow, but it would offer a different workflow. Once smart control knobs are assigned hardware physical knobs, those are global. On the other hand, the mapping of the Smart Control knobs to plugin/channel parameters is individual to each patch.

Smart Controls offer great flexibility as to what they can control. You can map them to more than 1 parameter, and scale each parameter individually. You could for example have one Smart Control knob affect the low-cut of a filter throughout its entire range, but mapped only between 20 Hz and 135 Hz. Then only the upper 1/3 range of the knob a hi-bell kicks in around the 3.5 kHz this time increasing in gain, and a distortion plug-in is switched on when the Smart Control knob passes the '8' mark.

So you have:

Assignment (Global)

Controller knob 1 = Smart Control 1

Controller knob 2 = Smart Control 2

Controller knob 8 = Smart Control 8

Mapping (individual to each patch)

Mapping (Vocal Patch)

Smart Control 1 = Low-cut (full range), Hi-cut (7—10 range), Distortion on/off (8)

Smart Control 2 = Compressor ratio

Smart Control 3 = Compressor attack

etc...

Mapping (Guitar Patch)

Smart Control 1 = Distortion Gain

Smart Control 2 = Phaser

Smart Control 3 = Flanger

etc....

Mapping (Lead Synth)

Smart Control 1 = Osc 1 Tuning

Smart Control 2 = LFO rate

Smart Control 3 = LFO to Ptich routing depth

etc....

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Super frustrating that this still an issue. Best workaround I have found so far (10.7.4):

Select the track folder first. Cmd+click and select the track with the relevant smart folder such that both the folder track and the track with smart control are selected. Now this works as expected. Note that if you reverse this sequence, it doesn't work. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

On 6/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, 3rdharmonic said:

Super frustrating that this still an issue. Best workaround I have found so far (10.7.4):

Select the track folder first. Cmd+click and select the track with the relevant smart folder such that both the folder track and the track with smart control are selected. Now this works as expected. Note that if you reverse this sequence, it doesn't work. 

Thank you! This workaround works! You can even choose which specific tracks you're affecting in the stack. The drawback is you can't look at the smart control panel in real time.

Hopefully Apple can just fix this soon. It seems crazy to add other features to Smart Controls before fixing this fundamental problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2022 at 11:30 PM, 3rdharmonic said:

not sure I understand the process. would you elaborate if possible please? thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Marco 75 said:

not sure I understand the process. would you elaborate if possible please? thanks in advance

This was fixed in 10.7.8, but this is how I recall the workaround functioning (someone correct me if I’m misremembering):

1. Select the track stack.
  2. Cmd click the tracks in the stack you want to be affected by smart controls.
  3. Do smart control stuff while you have the stack and relevant tracks selected.

This workaround is no longer needed as of 10.7.8. If you have an older version, we know the workaround works as far back as 10.7.4, but who knows if it works for versions older than that (especially lower than 10.7.0).

47 minutes ago, Delta said:

This was fixed in 10.7.8, but this is how I recall the workaround functioning (someone correct me if I’m misremembering):

1. Select the track stack.
  2. Cmd click the tracks in the stack you want to be affected by smart controls.
  3. Do smart control stuff while you have the stack and relevant tracks selected.

This workaround is no longer needed as of 10.7.8. If you have an older version, we know the workaround works as far back as 10.7.4, but who knows if it works for versions older than that (especially lower than 10.7.0).

thanks for this! doesn't seem to be working on 10.5.1. It's fine, I'll just hide the tracks without stack them .Thanks a lot!

7 minutes ago, Marco 75 said:

thanks for this! doesn't seem to be working on 10.5.1. It's fine, I'll just hide the tracks without stack them .Thanks a lot!

correction! it does work!!!! you have to have the stack highlighted on the left tough otherwise it doesn't work. Brilliant stuff! thanks again