Event list - Interpolation [BUG] [SEMI-FIXED]

logic8mine

I'm finishing a project that has an organ- the modulation controls the rotor speed of a leslie speaker. At the end of the song, I have inserted a CC#1 controller with a value of 95 to spin the rotor. Three measures later, another CC#1- value 0 to stop it halfway through the last chords the organ is holding. 1st pic contains all Modulation controller messages that i have entered. 1373076392_ScreenShot2015-05-19at11_56_11PM.png.3b9e8c7f27a65df45e09f44127ab14ed.pngThe 2nd, is Logic X screwing it up.1391858188_ScreenShot2015-05-19at11_56_56PM.thumb.png.4d79c8d7f6e9490a2cbfe1e1c9f840d5.png

Well, Logic is creating its on Modulation and storing it under 'Additional Info' and it's screwing up my ending. I can't delete it- it just reappears out of nowhere. How do I remedy this?

And now I'm back in Logic...

I can therefore confirm what I previously stated but the problem is even worse than I initially thought.

Just editing events in the Event List will cause interpolation between all previous non interpolated events. :shock:

A workaround for the moment:

1. Make sure that the Additional Info button is unselected.
  2. Lasso select all the events.
  3. Press Shift-I to invert the selection or use the menu option. This will select all the intermediate events.
  4. Press Command-X to cut them.

But like I said, just editing one event at a later point will throw everything off again.

So it might be better to avoid this workflow altogether and use region automation in the tracks area in conjunction with the Marquee Tool to create steps with 2 nodes instead.

Moving this to the Bugs & Workarounds forum.

And now I'm back in Logic...

I can therefore confirm what I previously stated but the problem is even worse than I initially thought.

Just editing events in the Event List will cause interpolation between all previous non interpolated events. :shock:

A workaround for the moment:

1. Make sure that the Additional Info button is unselected.
  2. Lasso select all the events.
  3. Press Shift-I to invert the selection or use the menu option. This will select all the intermediate events.
  4. Press Command-X to cut them.

But like I said, just editing one event at a later point will throw everything off again.

So it might be better to avoid this workflow altogether and use region automation in the tracks area in conjunction with the Marquee Tool to create steps with 2 nodes instead.

Moving this to the Bugs & Workarounds forum.

Thanks Eric. I didn't expect this behavior upon entering events in the Events List. And strangely in my Logic X, even the workaround does not work. Inverting the selected events deselects the events in Additional Info also. In fact, often, selection events in the Additional Info window causes everything to momentarily disappear. Even stranger: I have two version of the song- the shorter and original version does not have this problem. No interpolated events are added.

I think you are right, in that automation is the way to go.

strangely in my Logic X, even the workaround does not work

Are you still using 10.0.7?

Inverting the selected events deselects the events in Additional Info also

Did you have Additional info disabled? This is crucial for it to work.

You can also select the interpolated events manually and Cut them, Command-X.

Even stranger: I have two version of the song- the shorter and original version does not have this problem. No interpolated events are added.

That's very strange?

Was this project started in LP9?

I think you are right, in that automation is the way to go

Yup! :D

I'll actually found another workaround. The interpolation inserts events which gradually increase or decrease to the next inserted value. So, by inserting the first value immediately in front of the next change in value, it defeats the automatic insertion of events.

Note: in pic I have the original event with 0 value at measure 1,4,1,1. Inserting it at 9,2,3,240- directly before the value change to 103, eliminated the auto-insertion by Logic.

1320372998_ScreenShot2015-05-20at3_15_17PM.png.194eb716956d188e52155ce9a8d3f1de.png

Are you still using 10.0.7?

I have to update my sig. It's 10.1.1

Did you have Additional info disabled? This is crucial for it to work.

You can also select the interpolated events manually and Cut them, Command-X.

Yes, it was disabled and either command X or Delete key just reinserts events... like Magic!! LOL

That's very strange?

Was this project started in LP9?

No, it's a 10.1.1 Project start to finish

Thanks again...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to deliberately do this?

I have a prerecorded MIDI event list and I want to generate interpolated values, creating a similar effect to the pitch wheel on a synth.

I need to have each note pitch bend to the next without my prerecorded notes changing in any way whatsoever - just the removal of the stepping-stone pattern it currently follows.

I'd rather not do it manually because the MIDI event list runs for around 10 minutes and it would be far too time-consuming to do.

• 3 months later...
Fixed in Logic Pro X 10.2.

How was it fixed? I am still finding interpolated controller events that I didn't want. I've found that by changing the MIDI channel of the real events in succession can release the interpolation.

But for me this is not fixed until Logic gives explicit control over whatever hidden property is enabling interpolation. The state is saved, so it should be brought out in the UI. Futhermore, one should be able to specify that a controller is step-wise rather than interpolating. For example, a controller used for selecting articulations should not be interpolated.

Any further insight on this?

Fixed in Logic Pro X 10.2.

How was it fixed? I am still finding interpolated controller events that I didn't want. I've found that by changing the MIDI channel of the real events in succession can release the interpolation.

But for me this is not fixed until Logic gives explicit control over whatever hidden property is enabling interpolation. The state is saved, so it should be brought out in the UI. Futhermore, one should be able to specify that a controller is step-wise rather than interpolating. For example, a controller used for selecting articulations should not be interpolated.

Any further insight on this?

The Release Notes claimed that this was fixed however, I still run into this problem from time to time. Submitting bug reports is theway to go.

• 4 years later...

FYI, I experienced something similar: an unexpected change between treating Pitch Bend events as discrete steps versus interpolated values, described in this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153120

It may have nothing to do with this older bug, but it is a similar behavioral inconsistency.

(Edited to eliminate the bulk of this original post, since it's now covered in the post referenced above.)

• 1 year later...