Audio Regions moving when cutting [BUG]

Eric Cardenas

• 2 weeks later...

here new video.. using "split region/events at playhead position" key board command.. and.. "repeat regions/events" with keyboard command

iMac Mid 2011.

I can confirm that this is still happening in Logic 10.4.4 here too. The bug seems tempo dependent (happening with certain tempi and and not with others), that's probably the reason some people never encounter it. A fix is long overdue.

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, so Howdy!

I've been contemplating coming back to logic and possibly making it my main DAW. Unfortunately, I came across this issue and decided to search for a possible solution, but only found this thread. This is probably one of the worst bugs I have seen in a DAW. It can disrupt your workflow and waste tremendous time having to check every single split in a audio. I found out that it does not occur if you turn off Flex & Follow, but still, I work most of the time manipulating and changing tempos.

I got word back from Apple support and have provided detailed info regarding this issue/bug. I can't believe how many users are having the same experience yet, Apple has not fixed it. Heres to hoping that it can get fixed in a not so distant future update, and by that I mean the next update... hehe.

It might 'appear' as a graphic glitch, but if you try to glue the two separated regions it will tell you that you cannot glue two non-contiguous regions together. So the program is treating the gap like a real gap. It also means that if you try to butt up another region to the end of the last region it will now not start where it should. It is a mess, and has existed for years. Pretty basic stuff, that you would expect to work on the humblest of audio editors.

• 4 months later...
Well, I'm going to lean on the assumption of good faith in Apple... given all the issues they fixed in 10.4.5, not to mention previous releases, this must be a foundational rendering bug in the software that would require extensive effort to fix. I can't think of any other explanation for why it is still unresolved. However, in 14 years of running Logic Pro professionally, I have not once run into a situation where this bug has presented itself or disrupted a session. YET. *crossing fingers*

in my profects it is in every project.. cos of my workflow..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Did this bug ever get fixed? It seems like it's happening on my LP9 sessions too... I love Logic but this seems like a total deal breaker

noup still happening in 2021.. it is a pain this bug.. I have no idea why apple cannot fix. it.. i have already reported it.. like 10 times to apple.. an nothing in response

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I just came across this and as an audio editor for film you can imagine how this would suck. I had it happen a while back and had to get this resolved. It seems to be an inconsistency in sample rate. I noticed it was not happening with all my projects and figured it must be something I'm doing. If your project and your file are not the same it will shift every time. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Same issue here but somehow I was able to fix it following this other workaround for projects that don't have different tempos (I haven't really tried on a project with different tempos):

For some reason it seems I had ADAPT - Adapt Project Tempo selected from the tempo options. This had caused my tempo to unwillingly fluctuate quite a lot:

Screenshot2023-04-16at12_58_47.thumb.png.c1a3c9b9ad18757ca3767c2b0c7f2410.png

So first of all I made sure I had no tempo variation on the tempo Global Track by deleting all the tempo information from the Tempo Global Track

Screenshot2023-04-16at12_44_16.thumb.png.b2aee99b2e0ad0d423616e725eb1bb20.png

Then I selected KEEP - Keep Project Tempo.

It's easily accessible doing left click on the tempo automation options, right below the tempo info on the Project Tempo Menu):

Screenshot2023-04-16at12_44_36.png.3c7f17244582e618ff24abdbdb5610ab.png

After performing this I was able to cut and move audio regios without any other region moving around.

Hope this helps.

Edited by vandersento
Attaching images

• 2 months later...

AMAZING! 2016 - 2023. You can't reliably chop regions in Logic pro for past 7 years

This has been driving me crazy for the past 2 years or so and all this time I thought that it was me. That I was not good enough to understand some setting, or concept. I have OCD. I can't work with this. 

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 3.51.31 AM.png

Edited by NoxO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted this as a bug report, but here's my workaround for now.  for me it happens primarily (probably only) with flexed regions.  it seems to be related with tempo information in the clip either getting corrupted or read wrong. 

I've made lots of attempts at correcting tempo info on files, erasing tempo info on files, etc etc but these not only dont reliably work, but its very time consuming.  So for now, the only way to reliably work around this is to put a flex marker where i want to make the cut, and then make the cut.  I never used to have to do this before 10.7 came out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the problem actually stems from enabling snap edits to zero crossings, in the main window and the editor.  This is disabled by default. I might be imagining this but for me it weirdly seems to get enabled by itself, every now and then. I think this “feature” was Logic trying to be smart and do away with having to cross fade region ends to avoid cracks and pops. There might be gaps in the regions but there might also be no audio issues. This is probably why the Apple support doesn’t seem to give a damn about the numerous bug reports over 7 years! These gaps does break editing functionality though. Dragging the intersection of two regions is not possible when there is a gap for example. If only they cared to communicate that at least! After two years of fiddling with numerous such issues, I concluded that the name Logic is a misnomer and that let’s face it, it is an outdated DAW. It is not even the most efficient on Apple silicon. Speaking of which, since my last post I started using Reaper and it solved 90% of my frustrations with Logic. There is no built in sounds, drummer, great step editor etc though. So I will be using both now.

So the solution for me is to, disable snap edits to zero crossings, and apply default fades to prevent cracks and pops.