Flex Pitch to Midi - Velocity error? [BUG]

ChrisJ

I've converted audio using Flex pitch - then using the flex pitch to midi menu, I see that sometimes velocities in the midi track are > 127.

Anyone get why? Is there preemptive work I must do on the audio first before using flex pitch?

Chris

In the Piano Roll... in the help tag?

That's odd, I've never seen this before. Have you tried importing the audio file in a new empty project and trying to reproduce the issue there?

Feel free to share screenshots or even to attach the project file displaying the issue so one of us can have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go David, simple, quick, clearer, and probably longer to read than do.

1) create a new project, drag "chunky metal guitar 01" onto the workspace and it'll create a new track.

2) click on the flex pitch icon, and on the track change it to "flex pitch"

3) Double click on the audio to get a track/file view in the bottom window.

4) from the edit menu in the bottom window, choose 'create midi track from flex pitch data'

5) it'll create a midi track.

6) double click on that midi to open the piano roll.

7) view the 'red notes', you see many a velocity goes way above 127.

8) Optional -  try it with 'cool down slide guitar 01' - same issue. Many others too !

Chris

Thanks Eric for checking this, least it's me that's not crazy - well not this time.

I can't believe no-one's seen this before , maybe not many using flex pitch?

I did have a synth crash on me,  maybe some never verify the midi data and just assume it does not go above 127.

In the piano roll, I show some numbers over 200!

However on my system while the piano roll does not show correct values, the event list and the midi data being transmitted out the port seems to be working correctly with those excessive values displayed in the piano roll being capped at 127.

All this sounds like an issue with the 1st bit of the velocity data byte in the midi note event. Is supposed to be meaningless but should be 0 anyway according to MIDI standard. If Flex pitch -> MIDI conversion makes it a "1", could either be interpreted as values above 127 (= piano roll display?), or as a negative value (which absolute value is going to be the 8-bit value [= piano roll display?] - 128...

Anyways, I would assume you guys have issued a bug report to Apple by now. We could guess developers will investigate on that.

Cheers,

Arnaud

Edited by Arnaud

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Seems like it is Fixed in Logic Pro X 10.3.2 as far as I could tell.

Logic Pro X 10.3.1 still  converted the audio to velocity values in the range 0 to 255, ( one 8 bit byte)

while the version 10.3.2 correctly sets the velocity to a range of 0 to 127 ( 7 bits used)