Record/Repeat is deleting regions from other tracks

gswift86

This problem has been extremely frustrating over the past couple of days. I noticed midway through a couple of sessions that previously recorded regions were suddenly missing. The undo history showed nothing recent enough that I could uncover any user error on my part, so I played around with it and the problem repeated in another session just tonight. I haven't isolated the minimum conditions necessary for this to occur, and it doesn't occur all the time but...

I have about 19 tracks.

Two take folders with comps on one track, separated by many measures,

Recording on one track below that one.

I have Record/Repeat enabled, as well as "Allow quick punch in" enabled, though I'm not using it.

While recording on the one track, if I open any take folders in another track, or select/highlight another track or region before hitting "R" again to Record/Repeat, a region on the above track will sometimes be deleted along with the deleted recording of the record-enabled track. When noticed, I can go into the undo history and see that, indeed, there is a "Delete" command for that region, despite my only having pressed "R" to record/repeat on the track below it.

Workaround for now is making sure I don't get too eager and start comping or changing levels while recording is in process, but this has become extremely problematic for me and has me searching through backups for the comps that I had (if anyone has any advice on the best way to retrieve a comp - I'm a comp-heavy user - once it's been deleted from the arrange window, that would be swell as well).

Can anyone re-create this?

Thanks!

And, just to clarify:

I mean to say "Record/Record Repeat" - the record button is set to delete the present recording, go back to the starting position and record another take when "R" is pressed while recording.

And, the regions that get deleted are not necessarily right next to the track that is recording - It happened to a track about 4 tracks above the track I was recording. They were two separate instruments, not grouped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have just come across this problem now. It started with Logic 10.4.6.

Whenever Record Repeat is triggered, Logic add an undo step. Basically it will start the recording again, but always goes back one step in the undo history.

I can't reproduce the problem with a new empty session, but all the existing sessions exhibit this problem. Did you find a solution?