Track Automation Parameter Changes with Piano Roll CC Adjustment

Plowman

This movie's plot is pretty random, but that's the point. 

The focus here is on the Automation Parameter box in the track header. Note that Automation is on, and the channel strip is set to Track. The parameter shows volume. Next to Main is the Piano Roll, and there I am adjusting CC1 modulation in MIDI Draw. 

There is nothing unusual until 0:20. There, in what seems to be just another MIDI draw CC adjustment, the Automation parameter in Main turns to "modulation," but the track setting remains "Track." The yellow volume line (track automation) goes dim, and now we're in what seems to be track automation for modulation.... In any case (not seen in movie), I have verified that I can now adjust modulation in Main. However, the region's CC1 data (previously written for the first twenty seconds) is not present, and whatever I write in Main conflicts with it.  

This would seem to present the worst of both worlds, in that I have lost sight of the track volume, and at the same time I've gained only the opportunity to write new and contrary data to what I've already done. (That there is a setting to prefer region over track CC is of little comfort.)

So back to my plotless movie. At 0:30, I return the track header in Main to Volume.  I make one more adjustment in piano roll, raising a line, and Volume in Main remains. But the next CC adjustment in Piano Roll at 0:38 again causes the Track / Volume setting to revert to modulation. 

I have proven this same behavior in Score / Linear with MIDI Draw enabled. And I have also proven it when PR or Score are opened as the sub-window of Main and not in separate windows. 

This is a brand new file with no other region or windows created. 

866226493_TrackAutomationwithPianoRollCCAdjustment.thumb.gif.a898558e20f57201334ccd5d4938698c.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am equally dismayed that this shocking programming has not been fixed by Logic.

Sorry to be harsh but no-one is responding and this is a nightmare "improvement", impossible to see what they are trying to achieve and it needs to be fixed.

Please LOGIC - fix this urgently.  Thank you.

• 4 months later...
In mid-August I upgraded my version of Logic Pro X to 10.3.2 and in my last project I had this exact same problem over and over.  It drove me nuts!  I'd think I was editing the volume automation curve, but it wouldn't change the volume of the track, and then I'd notice that the track had somehow changed from "Volume" to "Ch. 1; Modulation", even though I already had a Modulation curve drawn that looked completely different.  I found this thread from earlier this year and I can't believe that such a serious bug has not been corrected by now.   Does anyone know the status of a fix for this Bug?  Is there a work-around other than constantly checking my tracks?  I now wish I hadn't updated my version of Logic Pro X.   Thanks in advance for any help or insights.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe our last two (or more) bug fix / upgrades were released shortly before NAMM in January. And then another usually comes sometime in the summer. Perhaps January 2018 will repeat the pattern. But, as they say in the market, "past performance is no guarantee of future results," so one cannot be certain when the next version hits.

And one may be equally uncertain that this will be addressed even then. When it first appeared, I thought that this was such a honking, heinous bug, it could never last for more than one version. Naive Plowman actually thought it would merit a special bug fix release, because professional pride alone -- irrespective of their contempt for the user base -- would prompt the programmers to act. Oh, what a callow youth I was way, way back... a few months ago. Anyway, no special bug fix, and then the next major update didn't even touch the bug.

Anyway, "past as prologue" thinking offers us some hope in January.

• 2 months later...

This is the biggest bug I face in daily labor, requiring a constant resetting of what is usually the Automation Volume lane in Main. I've actually had my automation lane in Main shift to C-1 MIDI note. There's a helpful automation lane, drawing control points for MIDI note C-1.

Does 10.4 fix this?

• 9 months later...