Bug recording audio and midi together?

Hello, this issue happens to me with all Logic versions on my system, from Logic 9 through Logic 10.3. And running several OS,  from Snow Leopard through Sierra.

When I record Audio and Midi (software instrument) at the same time, the first take happens without any problem. I get an audio region in the Audio track and a Midi region in the Midi track. 

The problem comes when I try to punch-in manually in the middle of both tracks simultaneously in order to fix a mistake or improve preformance. At the punch-in the previous Midi track content keeps sounding together with the new live notes I am trying to replace with.

After stop I get a new audio region replacing the previous one betwen the punch in/out boundaries so the audio behaved correctly. 

In the midi track I get a new midi region like in the audio track BUT. ... this new midi tegion doesn't sound up unless I perform an edition like split it or glue it with the previous region. 

This only happens when punching-in on a Midi track together with an Audio track record enable. Punching-in on a single Midi track with no other track record enable behaves as expected. (No sound from previous midi notes while recording and the new region sounds as it should ,not having to edit it in order to make it sound) 

My Record preference settings:

*Audio replace mode enable (cycle/no cycle)

*Midi replace mode enable(cycle/no cycle)

*Allow Quick punch-in checked

*Input monitoring checked

*Record/toggle enabled

*Replace button in transport bar active. 

*Audio Track record enable and highligted.

*Midi track record enable and highligted.

My system:

*Logic Pro X 10.3.2 and early versions. 

*Mac Pro mid 2010, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel *Xeon,16 Gb ram.

*Mac pro bluilt in soundcard, no dedicate audio interface.

*Projects, Exs sampler files and audio files reside in a separate HD different from the OS X.

Would apreciate if you guys try to duplicate this behavior in your systems and let me know if you get the same result. 

Thanks

Edited by elcrepusculo2015

• 2 weeks later...
Have been trying both modes in midi recording preferences : replace/content and replace/region and it works as expected, as long as there is no audio track armed. With audio and midi track armed the issue appears again resulting in previous midi notes playback after I punch-in in replace mode. So.... I get same issue in all Logic versions. Everything goes crazy just at the moment an audio track is involved. Even replace/content doesn't work as it should. Edited by elcrepusculo2015

it has been going on in all versions since logic 8 at least. I have brought it up on this forum a few times over the last 3 or 4 years. no one seems to be bothered by it or interested in fixing it. Which means to me that no one is recording midi and audio at the same time other than you and I. I just gave up on trying to record midi or virtual instruments while recording audio.. I  have the keyboard player play through MainStage or logic on another computer and record the analog signal. Don't know why it has gone unaddressed for so long. Even your post has been mostly ignored. Mine have mostly resulted in no interest. I have reported it to apple, but not lately. Seems like a big deal to me???

Hello stacio, that's exactly what I think , we both seem to be long time experienced Logic users and the issues we report here aren't due to lack of knowledge nor lazyness in our relationship with Logic user manual.

If ppl here doesn't use simultaneous midi and audio recording as part of their work flow,  that doesn't mean they can't, at least, try to help us duplicating the issue in their computers and reporting here the result so we would be able to discart possible hardware implications from our side.

You posted here time ago another problem (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=124573) which ppl doesn't seem to care so much about either, even having been confirmed by this forum's moderator as a bug. I continue experiencing the same audio drop off after punch out even in LPX 10.3.2 version and got amazed that nobody, appart from you, is reporting this as a major bug that puts Logic performance at the level of applications for amateurs.

PS: If you dont mind I wish to know more in deep about your hardware rig, like audio and midi interfaces, midi Keyboard etc. Thanks.

Edited by elcrepusculo2015

As a workaround for recording audio and midi together in the way you describe it, I would suggest an easier way which doesn't involve a second computer. You can route the midi track to a bus (lets say bus 64) arm the midi track (no need to be hilighted as you just want to trigger your virtual instrument not to record it) then create an audio track which input is bus 64, arm this track ,as you would with any other audio track, enable input monitoring for this track so you will hear your virtual instrument through it and you will be recording your midi and audio performance as audio takes which solves the issue inside the project itself without using a spare computer. For me still not a good solution as I lose the option of editing the midi track in the piano roll. But at least the job can be done. Edited by elcrepusculo2015

Hi,

If ppl here doesn't use simultaneous midi and audio recording as part of their work flow, that doesn't mean they can't, at least, try to help us duplicating the issue in their computers and reporting here the result so we would be able to discart possible hardware implications from our side.

Seeing that at least three users have confirmed this behaviour the next step towards an actual solution is to send feedback to the Logic team directly:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Only they can fix bugs.

J.

I wouldn't comfirm an issue as a bug with only 3 users affected

I definitely would consider it a bug (or maybe even a limitation of the software) at this stage unless someone can give evidence of NOT having the problem.

The Logic engineers are paid to fix bugs and implement new features, so they are the ones that need to be aware of this so that they can test it and do what needs to be done.

And no I haven't tried it in my system and probably won't.

J.

https://audiosex.pro/threads/recordin-audio-and-midi-at-the-same-time.31163/

In this thread "someone can give evidence of NOT having the problem" so.......maybe is too soon to close and archive this here.

Thanks for the link. But no one's said anything about closing and archiving anything. We only close threads here at LPH when things go out of line.

J.

Sorry Jordi my english sometimes crashes when I dare to translate literally from Spanish. "Close and Archive" is a spanish and common expresion which means, in this context, to send the bug report to Apple and tag this thread as solved. Please don't take me wrong if you ever did, I didn't ever mean to say you are seeking to close this thread at all. And thanks for your qualified addvices. Edited by elcrepusculo2015

And I finally tested a bit and can confirm specifically this:

At the punch-in, the previous Midi track content keeps sounding together with the new live notes I am trying to replace with

But when playing back what I punched in, every sounds as expected.

And an observation about the following:

My Record preference settings:

*Audio replace mode enable (cycle/no cycle)

*Midi replace mode enable(cycle/no cycle)

*Allow Quick punch-in checked

*Input monitoring checked

*Record/toggle enabled

*Replace button in transport bar active. 

*Audio Track record enable and highligted.

*Midi track record enable and highligted.

If you have set your overlapping recording preferences to "Replace", there's no need to activate Replace mode in the Control Bar.

The only track that actually needs to be selected during recording is your software instrument track.

J.

Yes it is exactly like here. The only difference is with logic 9. You hear previos and new midi notes while recording after punch in, ( like with LPX) , but when playing back, this time, new notes sound together with previos one (behaving like in overlap recording mode) . A big mess really. Edited by elcrepusculo2015