Software Instrument Channel Strip Freezing with Midi Plug-in [FIXED in 10.3.3]

diode1972

Hi all,

I recently updated to Logic X 10.3.2 (from whatever the last version was...10.3.1?) and now I am having some weird issue with frozen tracks going silent after I freeze them. I have a pretty simple setup, just have a couple of soft synths (Serum, SynthMaster) that are eating some serious CPU so I thought I would freeze them. No biggie. Before updating to 10.3.2 (in fact ever since Logic introduced the freeze function way back when) I have never had this problem. I simply hit the blue/green snowflake option on each track and voila they were frozen and played back fine. However, now when I perform the same, simple process, the tracks go silent. The only way I can hear them is if I unfreeze them. I also notice that no audio seems to be coming out of the individual channel(s) in question—no meter readings on the volume faders. I have tried switching between "source only" and "pre-fader" freezing options, with no change—still the silencing problem. I have adjusted the MIDI to exactly quantize. Nada. I have deleted the soft synths and reloaded them. Nada. I have quit Logic, as well as rebooted my computer. Still nada. Also, I don't have the individual tracks running into any AUX tracks or unusual output options. I just have them running to the master stereo output (the default). Is anyone else experiencing this? I have tried searching around these forums and elsewhere but haven't found anything...thanks. Using a 2015 Retina MBP running El Capitan. Again never had a problem freezing tracks before. Very frustrating. I know I can do BIP but would rather not as it's much less flexible. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately no, I tried some of the stock plugins with the same silencing effect. What's weird is that I have a couple of tracks using third party plugins (Serum, SynthMaster) that are frozen and play back fine. I created the session before I updated to the latest version of Logic, so the frozen tracks that work were already in the session. It's only new tracks that I have created and then tried to freeze, since the update, that don't work...

Hi all,

I recently updated to Logic X 10.3.2 (from whatever the last version was...10.3.1?) and now I am having some weird issue with frozen tracks going silent after I freeze them. I have a pretty simple setup, just have a couple of soft synths (Serum, SynthMaster) that are eating some serious CPU so I thought I would freeze them. No biggie. Before updating to 10.3.2 (in fact ever since Logic introduced the freeze function way back when) I have never had this problem. I simply hit the blue/green snowflake option on each track and voila they were frozen and played back fine. However, now when I perform the same, simple process, the tracks go silent. The only way I can hear them is if I unfreeze them. I also notice that no audio seems to be coming out of the individual channel(s) in question—no meter readings on the volume faders. I have tried switching between "source only" and "pre-fader" freezing options, with no change—still the silencing problem. I have adjusted the MIDI to exactly quantize. Nada. I have deleted the soft synths and reloaded them. Nada. I have quit Logic, as well as rebooted my computer. Still nada. Also, I don't have the individual tracks running into any AUX tracks or unusual output options. I just have them running to the master stereo output (the default). Is anyone else experiencing this? I have tried searching around these forums and elsewhere but haven't found anything...thanks. Using a 2015 Retina MBP running El Capitan. Again never had a problem freezing tracks before. Very frustrating. I know I can do BIP but would rather not as it's much less flexible. Thanks for any help.

I actually had this problem with some of my frozen tracks. The solution was to unfreeze the ones I couldn't hear, just like you said. Not too big of a deal for me because this would only happen to 1 or 2 tracks. I don't know what the source of the problem is either. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Heyo! I'm also having the same issue on Logic 10.3.2, however mine has nothing to do with when the project file was made. I'm working on a song post update and some play frozen, some don't. Most of the ones for me that don't play are alchemy however some are 3rd party and other native logic plugins. I also am able to have some of my alchemy tracks freeze properly, so there appears to be no rhyme or reason.

I was trying to freeze a midi channel strip track with a midi plug-in instantiated with no luck. For example, I have a piano track where I'm using the Velocity Processor inserted. After going through the Freeze function there's no audio output. I then tried it with all the Midi Plug-ins with the same result. I tried it with both a 3rd part VI (Waves Rhapsody Grand) and Logic's EXS stock piano as well as a Logic synth. Now here's the interesting part. When I look in my Freeze Folder I find the audio file there processed correctly. For some reason Logic just won't play it back. I could drag it back into logic into another audio track though, which would be a clunky work around. Wanted to file a bug report unless this is a known feature or maybe just doesn't work on my system.  Using 10.3.2 on El Capitan.

Hey, I had a similar issue. Freezed tracks (midi plugins, the rest works) dosent play or stuttering. Now I tried it again, and it works. Don't know why, but first I had a plugin without a midi region on it. Now i created a empty region and it works well. 

I"m not sure if i had the same problem as described, but maybe it helps someone.

M