Score editor bug - text placement [FIXED]

volovicg

• 3 months later...

Text in the Score has always been tricky .. it is one of those quirky things that I just accept about Logic. Try making a part out of two regions with a gap - ( which I often do).

When you bring this up in a Score Set it looks fine but try inserting text to close to the beginning or end of the Region and then dragging it into position and it will often disappear into thin air. ( I would demonstrate this with one of those Screen Movies that Greg so generously and expertly shares but I havent got that together yet :) )

But I can share several workarounds/observations:

1 - Like the illustration above, I always use the View Option " Show Guides with Selected Objects" - I have found that if I drag the Text Object around with the Pointer or Layout Tool there is no fine tuning, and the text or score symbol just disappears. However adjusting the position via the Inspector Numbers negative and positive, vertical and horizontal usually works very efficiently to position and fine tune an object in a Score - maybe that is normal practise for every one else but I only noticed it recently .. and wonder Greg - if it applies to your 2000 metre object in outer space?

2 - Another point I would make is that the example above is not really how my workflow producing a chart would ever evolve - I would not need to make a blank region and then insert text many many bars down the line in the middle of 'white stave outer space' .. so maybe your example is stretching Logic's bug criticism a bit too far ( with great respect!) - I would prefer the Apple team to sort out other bugs first ... :)

3 - Again as a working practise it is better if you have midi events .. notes in the bar - that you are inserting text so that the Guides can help you to 'anchor' any text to those events. I am would like to see Greg if you do the same experiment but put some notes in that far off bar first to see if it makes the Text behave better... and not position itself in a remote galaxy.

But thanks for raising this point!

I have found that if I drag the Text Object around with the Pointer or Layout Tool there is no fine tuning

Andy,

The pointer and layout tool produce different effects. The pointer tool brings the object into the score and assigned the reference point the anchor ( or the point of attachment to the score). They layout tool is a relative graphical adjustment of the object from the anchor point...So if you want to move the anchor point - you use the pointer tool - if you want to move the graphic as a function of the current anchor point - use the layout tool....

You can actually adjust both at the time of creation by using the the control key - which fixes the anchor and emulates the use of the layout tool...

Notice when I am between staves - an no anchor can be determined - you cannot insert an object... also on the 2nd pass I hold the control key down at 1,2,1,1 and notice how the anchor looks into place while only the graphic is positioned.

Maybe (hopefully) this will help with your understanding of the differences.

556938795_anchorsawaymyfriend.thumb.gif.1fcc342d2e686b35a7ead70e4614eafe.gif