Flextime Causing Waveform Sync Problems

hughfowlermusic

Hi

I've just come across a bit of a problem and wondered if anyone else has had this same issue. 

I've imported an old track I bounced years ago to record some vocals over the top. I paid no attention to the tempo of the session or matching it to the track as I was busy getting ideas down quickly and knew that I could sort this later pretty easily. After getting some ideas down I quickly made some alterations using Flextime and finished for the night. 

The next day I came back to the session and started working through matching the session tempo to the original track. Pretty easy - constant tempo throughout. I locked all the audio files to their SMPTE positions and changed the session tempo. The original track is now perfectly in time with the session, but all the other audio has slipped completely, not in position but in tempo. It has stretched my audio. I understand that Flextime embeds tempo info presumably at the time it analyses the files, which in this case would have been at the incorrect session tempo, but this can be altered by going to Edit/Tempo/Remove Tempo Info From Audio File. I did this expecting to see everything jump around a little which it did do. 

However - here's the main issue/possible bug. The waveforms regenerated but were displaying completely the wrong audio. When going into the audio editor, the clip of audio appears to be playing another section of the same original audio file. The waveform and the actual audio being played are out of sync by quite a margin. I did a restart of Logic and the problem has completely solved itself and everything is working exactly as should, which leads me to conclude that it wasn't something I was missing but a glitch with Logic.

Any thoughts?

• 2 years later...

flextime to me seems a bit buggy.

I have found that once I have finished doing any type of quantising its better to bounce the track in place and go to next pitch again on the new track before going any further.

this seems to iron out the bugs.

converting to a midi file is almost impossible unless you do this.

its shame this happens on an otherwise perfect bit of software