MIDI Draw Channel Issue in Piano Roll [FIXED in 10.4]

Plowman

I yield to Eric the right to officially declare "BUG." Some bugs get fixed, then re-broken. I don't think this one's ever been fixed. 

Logic Piano Roll -- compromised like a grafting politician since Logic X -- wants to help multi-channeled regions with a switch in MIDI Draw to the channel of whatever note is selected. That's a fantastic idea. But it's never worked properly.  

Open the file -- simplistic to a fault -- and follow the movie. You may have different experiences based on the speed and location of your clicks. 

There's one note on channel 1 (red) and another on channel 7 (green). I draw CC1 on ch. 1, and then I choose channel 7. I click in MIDI Draw, attempting to create a control point on 7, and MIDI draw reverts to 1. The rest of the movie only hints at the confusion I face daily: I manage to enter one control point in channel 7, but the very next click not only reverts to channel 1, it enters the control point on channel 1. 

By the way, this is recorded at bar one, so the channel and CC indicators are still visible in the upper left corner of MIDI draw. Once bar one is out of view, those indicators no longer appear. So you have no idea WHAT channel you're seeing or drawing.

Three and a half years of this.

314006485_MIDIDrawChannelIssueinPianoRoll.thumb.gif.8546c8a07c61dc07092ae22f25978345.gif

MIDI Draw Channel Issue in Piano Roll.zip

Helpful, and in the short-term, sanity-preserving. Thanks as always. 

Drawing from the example: if there is a pre-existing control point in channel 7, and the pointer is clicked directly on the channel 7 line that follows, that sometimes works. Clicking off the line more dependably kicks back to channel 1. Of course, there are not always pre-existing CC values in channel 7, so it's not much of a work-around.  

• 3 months later...

Plowman (and Eric),

As Eric said, this is truly a MAJOR bug, but I've found a workaround to it. The rule is that the CC lane reverts back to the channel of the first note in the MIDI region with CC controller events. If you place a "dummy" note at the beginning of any unused MIDI channel (e.g. ch. 16) and don't have any CC events on that channel, the annoying reversion will stop. Now you can use the CC select tool right away on any MIDI channel whose note you have selected without the lane flipping channels.

• 2 weeks later...