Flats to Sharps and Sharps to Flats - Score [FIXED in 10.4]

volovicg

Thanks for the feedback however Shift B and Shift # are the enharmonic functions not the "Flats to Sharps" and "Sharps to Flats" functions... They can be found here.... (see image below)

Maybe you can give it another try using these functions and let me know if they work on your system.....?

339275834_ScreenShot2017-11-04at10_35_41AM.png.1d8217cc945c49599e904c07a562e269.png

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I automatically went for Enharmonic Shift I don't usually use the 'Flats to sharps' or 'Sharps to Flats' function. If I had gone to the menu I am sure that I would have realised what you meant.

As I am not familiar with how these functions should work I will describe what happens when I use them and you can judge for yourself if they are behaving as expected.

I selected 4 bars from a piano piece in F and then selected 'Flats to Sharps'. 3 Bbs in those bars changed to A#s. I selected the 4 bars again and 'Sharps to Flats' and the 3 A#s reverted to Bbs.

When the Bbs were changed to A#s any subsequent natural As in those bars had a natural sign placed in front of them.

So far this is exactly what I would have expected from these functions. However, in that selection there were 5 Bbs. 2 of them had no accidentals as they were governed by a Bb earlier in the bar. Once that was converted to A# the first of these 2 Bbs had a b added and was converted to A# when I ran the function again. Then the last one had a b added. So I had to run the 'Flats to Sharps' function 3 times to convert all 5 Bbs (and twice to convert the A#s back).

I hope that you can make some sense of that. Short version: it does work but I don't know if it is functioning properly.

The only work around that I could find was to select the notes without accidentals and click Guide Accidental before converting them. That's ok in a 4 bar selection but I would hate to have to go through a whole piece adding accidentals just to convert them.

HTH,

Alan.

Thanks for that.... It seems to be working now under certain conditions.... I think it may be related to tied notes....

Can you do your test again but this time....

1/ have the Bb note tie to the next note in the next measure.

2/ within a single measure create a tied note by inserting a user rest....

Then see if that function works on each of the above - It continues to appear to not work here - However you example did work.

Yes, I can confirm that a tied note will not switch... also, if an accidental is repeated within a measure (which would not receive and accidental marking if repeated) i t also does not switch. Clearly a bug. I guess you'll just have to write diatonically until they fix this.

Key commands for flats-to-sharps and sharps-to-flats are seriously busted in 10.3.2. And it's not limited to tied notes.

Yes, as Dan said, just write diatonically for now. See, I look at this as an opportunity to collectively wean ourselves away from writing hackneyed Lydian passages for movie score cues. Really, isn't it about time?

Let's band together in this increasingly complicated world and write music that makes a rebellious statement by sticking to the white keys. If you feel you must write chromatic passing tones, just do so in private for now.

Thanks Dan!

... I look at this as an opportunity to collectively wean ourselves away from writing hackneyed Lydian passages for movie score cues. Really, isn't it about time?

Let's band together in this increasingly complicated world and write music that makes a rebellious statement by sticking to the white keys. If you feel you must write chromatic passing tones, just do so in private for now.

ROFWL :) .. hahahaha! great idea Ski... let's hope this hope your suggestion included in the next LP X update .. Advanced Feature of course ;)

And everyone should learnt to play Giant Steps in C as per this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTYzYpb1MY0

Seriously though - very useful thread. I was not aware of the Flats to Sharps feature at all until now.. when I transposed an Arrangement .. I would just click select all the Double flats or weird x double sharps and change them bit by bit.

Always wondered why Logic does not 'intelligently correct automatically' based on a given selected key signature ...

• 2 months later...