Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Since the "correct version" announced (10.6.2/10.6.3??) was looking to upgrade from 10.4.7 but needed a new computer, so as im finally about to get one very soon come to this thread only to find out this problem still persists? What are the realistic solutions to have the sidechain working? and what is the best Logic version to use?

My tactic is to just use Zero Latency Plugins :)

That is mission impossible :|

Luckily for me it is possible.

I dislike using plugins with latency anyways since I prefer top be able to play along anytime.

I wish any plugin would be zero latency :/

Except for the master channel, but there latency won't break the PDC.

• 2 weeks later...

Live playback of all other tracks are now behave as expected!

Once I remove the Sidechain Input it get's broken as in the previous videos I showed.

Now I'm confused. Isn't that the other way round as it used to be? Since some time I struggle with input delays in my general template when playing any midi instrument (that is: I hit a key on the keyboard and (too many) ms later I hear the sound). In this template I've got one track set up with a Logic compressor side-chained to a kick of a ghost track (= sidechain input of the compressor is set to the bus delivering the ghost kick). If I want to get rid of the delay while playing on my keyboard I either have to set the sidechain in the compressor to "Internal" or I engange the Low-Latency-Mode. But when reading your post I get the impression you HAVE to set the compressor sidechain to the bus in order to have no delay?!?

But my real question is: would moving to Logic 10.7 improve my situation or even worsen it? For me this problem is a real issue. I didn't have these delays until lately and I find myself fantasizing about switching to Ableton Live (which is my secondary DAW right now) although I'm so much more fluent in Logic. But these delays drive me crazy and I don't see how to produce and mix without using sidechains ...

Earlier I wrote it is only broken for live played instruments which is wrong:

I'm trying to replicate this in an empty project in 10.6.3 using the same plugins, but I can't. The audio only drifts if I haven't clicked 'Apply' Optimal Lookahead.

What are your settings on the Ad Limiter?

here another example:

I'm trying to replicate it in an empty project now, but the delay compensation is actually working properly here in this project.

even when playing live ?

You just posted yourself doing the same thing as your last video, in Cycle Mode. What happens when you make those changes and then press stop and play again?

I still think your issue should be put in a separate thread because it's unrelated to the first 10 pages of issues and there's a chance most of it might still be down to troubleshooting. I'm doing similar things with the same plugins and they work as expected...

Also, you may want to read the last responses to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159747&hilit=cycle+time

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here and yet again:

I couldn't reproduce your other issues but I can reproduce this one (even with starting and stopping to reset the cycle mode).

I still think a separate thread could help but basically it looks like all the stuff they did past 10.6.1 to fix the bus side chain latency compensation issues (from earlier in the thread) broke it for single tracks. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161138

Here and yet again:

I couldn't reproduce your other issues but I can reproduce this one (even with starting and stopping to reset the cycle mode).

I still think a separate thread could help but basically it looks like all the stuff they did past 10.6.1 to fix the bus side chain latency compensation issues (from earlier in the thread) broke it for single tracks. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161138

Thank you for the reply and reproducing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using logic for over 10 years now. I'm afraid that it's time for me to move on. Looking at Abelton or Bitwig.

I find myself spending a lot of time troubling shooting rather than creating music. Granted I'm doing some pretty complex stuff. Logic just doesn't seem to want to do adapt to cutting edge production and mixing paradigms.

Things that are absolutely driving me nuts:

1. No support for nested summing folders. And this ties into the thread's subject of delay companions. One can technically set up nested audio busses. This is absolutely critical for gain staging in EDM and is where the art form is heading. The PDC is all over the place is hierarchical aux/bus structures. Add to that any side chain one might use (ex. for ducking) and it's a phasing nightmare. Bitwig is doing all of this with ease.

Off topic but...

2. No support for any sort of rack style plugin packs like abelton. This is super helpful for parallel processing audio within a plugin chain and having simultaneous wet/dry control. Logic is at a huge disadvantage here.

3. Can't have a single instance of a midi effect (like an LFO) sharing multiple destinations.

I could go on :(