A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
User avatar
karlingen
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:54 am
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:04 am

AMD wrote:
ansolas wrote:
Steps to reproduce this bug:


Hi. I don't know why this is happening, but I can confirm that I can reproduce this on my system as well, so it looks like yet another bug. Logic is riddled with them. Did you report it to Apple?

Over the last few months, I've spent more time finding workarounds for bugs than I have making music. My previous system was plagued with problems. Almost every time I sat down to produce, something would go wrong and I'd have find a workaround. I eventually took the huge step of upgrading my computer and installing EVERYTHING from scratch on the new machine. Although that solved some of the bigger issues, I am absolutely disgusted to see that a lot of the problems I was having on my previous system are present on the new one as well. I just don't understand how/why Logic is so buggy.

I haven't had much experience using any of the other DAW's, but surely they can't all be as buggy as this?


Exactly this. The past year (and especially the past months) have been horrible in terms of flow inside of Logic. The bugs have been killing my creativity.

I'm slowly migrating to Ableton Live and it's been a treat to work with so far. Still going to use Logic when I need to open older projects or when I need a specific sound or instrument from it by bouncing out stems and importing them into Ableton.
 
AMD
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:36 am
Location: London, England

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:49 am

karlingen wrote:
AMD wrote:

Hi. I don't know why this is happening, but I can confirm that I can reproduce this on my system as well, so it looks like yet another bug. Logic is riddled with them. Did you report it to Apple?

Over the last few months, I've spent more time finding workarounds for bugs than I have making music. My previous system was plagued with problems. Almost every time I sat down to produce, something would go wrong and I'd have find a workaround. I eventually took the huge step of upgrading my computer and installing EVERYTHING from scratch on the new machine. Although that solved some of the bigger issues, I am absolutely disgusted to see that a lot of the problems I was having on my previous system are present on the new one as well. I just don't understand how/why Logic is so buggy.

I haven't had much experience using any of the other DAW's, but surely they can't all be as buggy as this?


Exactly this. The past year (and especially the past months) have been horrible in terms of flow inside of Logic. The bugs have been killing my creativity.

I'm slowly migrating to Ableton Live and it's been a treat to work with so far. Still going to use Logic when I need to open older projects or when I need a specific sound or instrument from it by bouncing out stems and importing them into Ableton.


Good luck with Ableton. When I have some downtime, I'm going to start using Ableton so I can properly compare it to Logic on my own system. I was always reluctant to do this in the past because I thought Logic devs would have these issues resolved by now. The thing is that I don't use a ton of 3rd party stuff. My set up is very basic, so there is no reason that Logic should be so temperamental. It very annoying being forced to use a different DAW, but I have been left with no choice. It's clear that Logic will continue to be very buggy for a long time to come :cry:
MBP 2018, 2.2Ghz 6 Core Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Logic X 10.6.3, OSX 10.15.7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Komplete 10 Ultimate, Komplete Kontrol S61.
 
User avatar
mclight
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:45 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 am

David brought this topic to my attention as I struggled with new latency issues since upgrading to 10.6.3
In my case it was somehow connected to adding a drummer track to my template. The latency is gone as soon as I change a compressor's (which is NOT on the drummer track) input from a bus for sidechain to "internal". Or when deleting the drummer track the latency is gone as well. Easiest workaround without changing any routing, sidechain or drummer track is in my case to switch Low Latency mode on.
Here's a link to the topic: Drummer Track with Multi Output Causing Latency?
Logic Pro X 10.6.3 + OS X 11.6
MacBook Pro 16'' late 2019
Apogee Quartet, Apollo Twin MkII, Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2

http://www.charliemclight.com/en/home.html
http://www.facebook.com/charliemclight
http://www.instagram.com/mclight
 
User avatar
karlingen
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:54 am
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:02 am

AMD wrote:
karlingen wrote:

Exactly this. The past year (and especially the past months) have been horrible in terms of flow inside of Logic. The bugs have been killing my creativity.

I'm slowly migrating to Ableton Live and it's been a treat to work with so far. Still going to use Logic when I need to open older projects or when I need a specific sound or instrument from it by bouncing out stems and importing them into Ableton.


Good luck with Ableton. When I have some downtime, I'm going to start using Ableton so I can properly compare it to Logic on my own system. I was always reluctant to do this in the past because I thought Logic devs would have these issues resolved by now. The thing is that I don't use a ton of 3rd party stuff. My set up is very basic, so there is no reason that Logic should be so temperamental. It very annoying being forced to use a different DAW, but I have been left with no choice. It's clear that Logic will continue to be very buggy for a long time to come :cry:


Reaper is also a very good alternative, if not the best .
 
en5ca
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:33 pm

karlingen wrote:
Reaper is also a very good alternative, if not the best .

"But wait! REAPER has no Low Latency Mode." I hear you say.
Well, now there's this free REAPER script extension, which provides such feature for REAPER. :mrgreen:
ak5k_Low latency monitoring
 
User avatar
ansolas
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:05 am

en5ca wrote:
karlingen wrote:
Reaper is also a very good alternative, if not the best .

"But wait! REAPER has no Low Latency Mode." I hear you say.
Well, now there's this free REAPER script extension, which provides such feature for REAPER. :mrgreen:
ak5k_Low latency monitoring

For me it is more Like, "Reaper is missing all Logic Instruments and Effects", and what about MCU implementation ?
 
User avatar
karlingen
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:54 am
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:30 am

ansolas wrote:
en5ca wrote:
"But wait! REAPER has no Low Latency Mode." I hear you say.
Well, now there's this free REAPER script extension, which provides such feature for REAPER. :mrgreen:
ak5k_Low latency monitoring

For me it is more Like, "Reaper is missing all Logic Instruments and Effects", and what about MCU implementation ?


Well, you could always use both DAWs. If there's a specific sound you want from Logic then simply bounce it out to Reaper.
 
User avatar
ansolas
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:39 am

karlingen wrote:
ansolas wrote:
For me it is more Like, "Reaper is missing all Logic Instruments and Effects", and what about MCU implementation ?


Well, you could always use both DAWs. If there's a specific sound you want from Logic then simply bounce it out to Reaper.

Ofcourse, but that's less convenient, than maintaining just one DAW.(atm I use StudioOne and Logic) Does reaper fully suport the MCU Protocol Or have its own support for Behringer X-touches ?

[EDIT] MCU/Reaper related:
https://gearspace.com/board/cockos-reap ... lly-2.html
Sounds rather tedious, that it works out of teh box in logic.
 
User avatar
ansolas
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:19 am

anyone posted the bug using the feedback Assistent App?
Last edited by ansolas on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Atlas007
Posts: 10388
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:45 pm

ansolas wrote:
anyone posetd teh bug using the feedback Assistent App?
Don't wait for others. The more applicants the more attention it will gets from Apple...
LogicPro 10.7.1, MainStage 3.5.4
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc...
PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear
 
User avatar
ansolas
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 am

Atlas007 wrote:
ansolas wrote:
anyone posetd teh bug using the feedback Assistent App?
Don't wait for others. The more applicants the more attention it will gets from Apple...

yeh I have you too ?
 
User avatar
Atlas007
Posts: 10388
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Of course!
LogicPro 10.7.1, MainStage 3.5.4
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc...
PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear
 
User avatar
ansolas
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 am

Atlas007 wrote:
Of course!

Even here? (Feedback Assist):
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 10.59.19.png
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 10.59.19.png (397.33 KiB) Viewed 2398 times


That's what I was asking above, since most just report using the online form.
Apple sometimes even answers in teh Assist and request more info.

Just curious
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4547
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:29 am

huh i never used that, where do you even find it.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 86983
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:37 am

Ploki wrote:
huh i never used that, where do you even find it.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.7.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM
 
User avatar
ansolas
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:38 am

Ploki wrote:
huh i never used that, where do you even find it.

Here:
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 11.37.49.png
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 11.37.49.png (440.32 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 86983
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:44 am

There's an online version as well: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.7.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM
 
User avatar
Atlas007
Posts: 10388
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:10 am

ansolas wrote:
Atlas007 wrote:
Of course!

Even here? (Feedback Assist):
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 10.59.19.png

That's what I was asking above, since most just report using the online form.
Apple sometimes even answers in teh Assist and request more info.

Just curious

No only on the website.
I wasn't aware about your link.
Does that make a difference?
LogicPro 10.7.1, MainStage 3.5.4
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc...
PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear
 
Stoobysnax
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 am

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:40 am

Not sure if others are noticing this but 10.6.3 is super inconsistent with timing now... Some PDC yes, has been solved. But other issues now crop up (all of which I've reported multiple times to Logic feedback so far...)

- Plugins that are time based like Tremolo, LFO Tool, etc, on channels all go out of time now, depending on what else is on the channel and/or if using side chain in compressor say. This is new, as I never had an issue with these being out of time before on channels, only busses... This is a huge issue that breaks old sessions.

- Melodyne playback after transferred is messed... if you remove or add latency plugins after, playback goes wildly out of time

- Playback when in low latency mode is totally messed up at times... Switch to Low Latency, and things are wildly out of time from each other until you switch back on.

Whatever structural changes they did to solve the PDC issue has caused a whole other set of inconsistencies.... This is a huge red flag for me, since we now have 2 different systems in play (10.6.2/10.6.2 and before)... both play back with different timing issues. If they solve it again, and timing changes again, then we have 3 different playback systems. I'm losing confidence for the first time in repeatability. Which is scary.
 
AMD
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:36 am
Location: London, England

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 am

Stoobysnax wrote:
Not sure if others are noticing this but 10.6.3 is super inconsistent with timing now... Some PDC yes, has been solved. But other issues now crop up (all of which I've reported multiple times to Logic feedback so far...)

- Plugins that are time based like Tremolo, LFO Tool, etc, on channels all go out of time now, depending on what else is on the channel and/or if using side chain in compressor say. This is new, as I never had an issue with these being out of time before on channels, only busses... This is a huge issue that breaks old sessions.

- Melodyne playback after transferred is messed... if you remove or add latency plugins after, playback goes wildly out of time

- Playback when in low latency mode is totally messed up at times... Switch to Low Latency, and things are wildly out of time from each other until you switch back on.

Whatever structural changes they did to solve the PDC issue has caused a whole other set of inconsistencies.... This is a huge red flag for me, since we now have 2 different systems in play (10.6.2/10.6.2 and before)... both play back with different timing issues. If they solve it again, and timing changes again, then we have 3 different playback systems. I'm losing confidence for the first time in repeatability. Which is scary.


I'm coming across all sorts of bugs too. Ones I've never seen before - graphical problems, audio issues, automation bugs. It's just endless. Logic is broken!
MBP 2018, 2.2Ghz 6 Core Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Logic X 10.6.3, OSX 10.15.7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Komplete 10 Ultimate, Komplete Kontrol S61.