A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

PDJMDS

Re: PDC broken with external side-chain

Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 am

I have done the same
I might have to make an eye candy sensational video with bold capitals saying 'LOGIC IS BROKEN, DON'T BUY IT', being as its the 21st century and matter of fact things seem to be less effective. :-D

ted_manzie

Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 am

It seems that Apple/Logic are simply unable to fix this bug. Whatever is causing it they must find that if you fix one thing it breaks another and so the only option is to ignore it and hope most people never notice. It has been talked about as a critical bug for years now, they fixed hundreds of issues with 10.5 and not this. So that seems to be that.

I tried it out again last night automating High Pass EQ cutoffs in time with 1/8th notes. Works fine but then put a high latency plug on the same channel strip after the EQ and the automation goes out of time.

I know Logic devs must be under NDAs but surely someone must be able to get someone to comment off the record about this? Do they work from Area 51? :D
Last edited by ted_manzie on Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
iMac Mid 2011 27" 3.4ghz i7 16GB / OSX 10.12.6 / Logic Pro 10.4.4

AMD

Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 am

logness wrote:
NOT FIXED in 10.5!!! I'm speechless.

"Logic side-chain bug"

create track “audio 1”
create track “audio 2”

route track “audio 1” over “bus 1” to “aux 1”
insert latency inducing plugin “Linear Phase EQ” into “aux 1”
route “aux 1” over “bus 2” to “aux 2”

route track “audio 2” over “bus 3” to “aux 3”

insert plugin “Compressor” to “aux 3”
change side chain of the compressor to “bus 2”

put a identical drum-loop on both tracks

result:
audio 1 <-> audio 2 are NOT in sync

Hello logness and everyone trying to get to the bottom of this horrendous issue. I'd just like to say that I've also submitted a report to Apple including the threads and videos from this site along with the fact that PDC also doesn't work for me in Logic 10.4.8.

I can see that this is a very complex problem and I'm just trying to understand it properly. As a work around in your example logness, can a sample delay be used on audio track 2 to delay the audio on that track by the same amount the audio has been delayed by the linear phase EQ on Aux 1?
MBP Retina, Mid 2012. 2.6Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, Logic X 10.6.1, OSX 10.15.7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Komplete 10 Ultimate, Komplete Kontrol S61.

ozinga

Sun May 24, 2020 3:38 am

It is probably not possible with the current audio engine. Otherwise makes no sense for them not to fix it with 10.5 which has tons of fixes.

dylanjb

Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 am

ozinga wrote:
It is probably not possible with the current audio engine. Otherwise makes no sense for them not to fix it with 10.5 which has tons of fixes.

Perhaps not, but if that’s the case then Apple shouldn’t state that Logic applies plug-in delay compensation to the playhead in their release notes. There is no excuse, especially when other DAW manufacturers can make it work in their products. If this is an oversight, it sure is one big oversight! What’s going on Apple? Would really appreciate it if someone over there could perhaps chime in or at least enlighten us on the current situation. If not, I too will be moving to Cubase.

ozinga

Mon May 25, 2020 4:44 am

dylanjb wrote:
ozinga wrote:

Perhaps not, but if that’s the case then Apple shouldn’t state that Logic applies plug-in delay compensation to the playhead in their release notes. There is no excuse, especially when other DAW manufacturers can make it work in their products. If this is an oversight, it sure is one big oversight! What’s going on Apple? Would really appreciate it if someone over there could perhaps chime in or at least enlighten us on the current situation. If not, I too will be moving to Cubase.

Right. I totally agree. Cubase has a solid audio engine and great PDC. Best one around I think.
I am just guessing because a lot of audio engine related things are not changed.
For example still no 32bit. Not that I need it but people work with it and when you get files they get converted to 24bit. Also for some reason lots of sample packs started to become 32bit and Logic can not audition them within the browser.
There is still laggy behavior when browsing loops.
Regions keep cycling for 1-2 seconds although you turn off it right at the end. Same thing with region solo on/off
Sampler does not have HQ interpolation option
Core Audio resets and reload every plugin in the session after changing buffer. Etc.
Things like these makes me think that they are all related to an old audio engine.
Maybe we will see these taken care of with V11

pman77

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:15 am

Hi guys,

I have recently found out about this bug and I'm trying to understand how it will affect my projects

I have tried to recreate the issues with latency when using an external sidechain :

I'm using es2 as a bass on track 1 with fabfilter c2 compressor on the channel. I am then compressing the es2 using an external side chain from an ultrabeat kick on track 2

I am not seeing any noticeable latency as was clearly evident in the snare hits in the video by PDJMDS (thanks for the video explaining this issue by the way). The bass seems to be compressed in time with when the kick hits

What am I missing?

I'm on Logic 10.4.0

Thanks

tedannemann

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 am

Still no fix for the completely messed up Plug-in delay compensation in Logic Pro X 10.5.1

All Logic Pro X 10.5 users please do report this issue:
https://youtu.be/vhsm-jq_GhY

Just take 2 minutes and send a bug report to Apple about the missing plug-in delay compensation for automation, side chain signals and beat synced plug-ins. Thank you for your help!
https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
iMac 4,2 GHz 64 GB RAM | macOS (latest official version) | Logic Pro (latest official version) | UAD Apollo | Endless list of plug-ins and samples

AMD

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:08 am

tedannemann wrote:
Still no fix for the completely messed up Plug-in delay compensation in Logic Pro X 10.5.1

All Logic Pro X 10.5 users please do report this issue:
https://youtu.be/vhsm-jq_GhY

Just take 2 minutes and send a bug report to Apple about the missing plug-in delay compensation for automation, side chain signals and beat synced plug-ins. Thank you for your help!
https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Thanks for the video. I reported this already, but I will submit another report for version 10.5.1 and a link to your video.

Not that you should have to do it, but can a sample delay be used as a temporary workaround in your example?
MBP Retina, Mid 2012. 2.6Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, Logic X 10.6.1, OSX 10.15.7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Komplete 10 Ultimate, Komplete Kontrol S61.

Alan Shields

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:14 pm

I submit this bug report to Apple after every update where it hasn't been fixed. Looks like I will be submitting it again.

Alan.
Context is Everything.

Logic Pro 10.6.1. Mac OS 10.15.7
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) - 3.6 GHz Intel 8-Core i9 - 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
2.5 Tonnes of (antique?) equipment gathering dust in their racks

HEGO

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:45 pm

So frustrating ...
WHY can't they fix this ?

rfpm

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:52 pm

I have also reported the bug again to Apple. I've done this with every update. This is a serious issue that really renders the DAW unusable for me. How do we get Apples attention and people behind fixing this? Do we need to contact websites or video creators that get a lot of visibility in relation to Logic? Logic Pro Expert, etc.

EastNashRocker

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:18 pm

rfpm wrote:
I have also reported the bug again to Apple. I've done this with every update. This is a serious issue that really renders the DAW unusable for me. How do we get Apples attention and people behind fixing this? Do we need to contact websites or video creators that get a lot of visibility in relation to Logic? Logic Pro Expert, etc.

That's a good question, when I post about this in other places like a facebook group for Logic users nobody believes me that it's an issue. I try to explain or share a video but my guess is that some people are having issues with this and not realizing what the problem actually is.

rfpm

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:24 am

EastNashRocker wrote:
rfpm wrote:

That's a good question, when I post about this in other places like a facebook group for Logic users nobody believes me that it's an issue. I try to explain or share a video but my guess is that some people are having issues with this and not realizing what the problem actually is.

Maybe with WWDC coming up that could be an opportunity? It's free for everyone and there may be sessions where we can get in contact with Logic devs directly.

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:02 am

rfpm wrote:
Maybe with WWDC coming up that could be an opportunity? It's free for everyone and there may be sessions where we can get in contact with Logic devs directly.

I don't believe the Logic developers go to WWDC. And even if they went I can't imagine they would hold sessions to be in contact with end users. That's not really the point of the WWDC anyway.
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

rfpm

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:15 am

David Nahmani wrote:
rfpm wrote:

I don't believe the Logic developers go to WWDC. And even if they went I can't imagine they would hold sessions to be in contact with end users. That's not really the point of the WWDC anyway.

Yeah true, I'll keep any eye out anyway. The approach of making this known to well viewed and popular logic platforms might help. Anyone have good examples of sites / channels to contact that get great visibility?

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:58 am

rfpm wrote:
Anyone have good examples of sites / channels to contact that get great visibility?

Right here? Logic devs come here sometimes. Someone from the Logic team posted something here only a day or two ago.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

rfpm

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:07 pm

David Nahmani wrote:
rfpm wrote:
Anyone have good examples of sites / channels to contact that get great visibility?

Right here? Logic devs come here sometimes. Someone from the Logic team posted something here only a day or two ago.

More places the merrier, us only talking about it here evidently isn't doing enough to make it a priority.

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:14 pm

rfpm wrote:
David Nahmani wrote:

More places the merrier, us only talking about it here evidently isn't doing enough to make it a priority.

Straight to the source then: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

rfpm

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:15 pm

David Nahmani wrote:
rfpm wrote:

Straight to the source then: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Yeah the more people we get submitting the issue here the better, I know a few of us here are consistently with each update.