Bug Report / Bounce Track in Place / Export .. Track as Audio

logness

1. Create one audio track with some audio

2. Create one midi track with a synth (for example ES M) and some midi

3. Route both tracks to a new "AUX1" via Bus 1

4. Route AUX1 to AUX2 via Bus 2

If you now "Bounce -> Track in Place" on AUX2

it will ONLY include the audio track

2099858447_Screenshot2018-10-24at12_24_04.thumb.png.fff34290392c293fa809acab44d42410.png

Edited by logness

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not fixed in 10.4.4

(I updated the reconstruction steps)

1. Create one audio track with some audio

2. Create one midi track with a synth (for example ES M) and some midi

3. Route both tracks to a new "AUX1" via Bus 1

4. Route AUX1 to AUX2 via Bus 2

5. "Create Track" on Mixer Channel "AUX2"

If you now "Bounce -> Track in Place" on AUX2 (Select AUX2 in arrangement-track)

it will ONLY include the audio track

Also if you use Export -> "x Tracks as Audio Files"

the MIDI Instrument will not be included, this can be very critical if you want export stems and there are missing instruments.

I've found a similar bug in that I'm using 'Bounce Track in Place' on Aux tracks to create an audio file from a Multi Output instrument. When I first load up the project, I can use 'BTIP' successfully (once) and it renders the MIDI to a new audio track as expected. Any subsequent attempts at 'BTIP' result in no audio file being created, unless you re-load the project! This is the same behaviour for 'BTIP' on audio or instrument tracks.

Logic Pro X 10.4.4, MacOS 10.14.2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

10.4.6… same problem. from the second routing on, the midi signal is not processed in the stem! for me it's a huge problem!

I'm sounding a movie. I spent two days trying to figure out what was wrong and now I find out it's a bug! I think it's very serious !!

I'll have to change the already soundtracked scenes to generate stems and I don't think it will be a fast and effective solution ... really frustrating!!

episode 2…

today I put the midi instruments directly at the "root" level, no summing stack. some of these instruments had sends to a bus (simple reverbs). everything was perfect for listening. I exported as audio the aux related to that bus and ... the file was silent. I have tried dozens of times, changing and changing parameters. the bug is much more serious than I thought yesterday. the export is not able to process both the audio signals coming from the midi through double routing, and all the sends that come directly from them !!

I'm shocked

episode 3...

maybe solved... I think I found the WORKAROUND!!

Great! Can you share it with us?

I give an example.

I have 3 midi instruments and 4 audio tracks.

I put the 3 midi instruments into a summing stack.

here some audio effects work and then the audio is routed to a new bus, for example 2 (summing stack output to bus 2).

the 4 audio tracks have all the output routed directly to the bus 2.

now I select the automatically generated auxiliary channel (with bus 2 as input) and create a track of it. I call it, just to understand, "foley".

to "foley" arrive the audio signals of the 4 audio tracks and of the 3 midi instruments (through the summing stack).

I can hear them and make a bounce. but if I do an export track as audio file (⌘ + E) this file will not include the signals of the 3 midi instruments. in the audio file there will be only what originally comes from audio regions. I think the bug doesn't process the audio signal of the midi sources from the second routing onwards. not even by freezing the sources. I can only use bounces, but for large projects or stems it’s a too complicated solution, absolutely impractical, and with a great risk of errors.

the solution I found is this:

I go on the track, "foley" in the example.

in this track I create an empty midi region. I adjust length and position and I select it.

at this point I don’t export track as audio file (⌘ + E), but export region as audio file.

the exported file will contain everything correctly.

I can create as many regions as I want, also in different tracks, and select them all together. logic will automatically export them one by one.

another advantage in large projects is that I can create multiple regions in the same track and export only those that interest me without using cycle ranges, which are less precise.

channels.thumb.png.0adb4e8c05eac1ea54275fd0981141de.png

channel.thumb.png.bf02b30dca2d8e6af9d227cb486d4a5b.png