Sound from tracks randomly cutting in and out on new Mac mini

FallicoMusic

Hello Everyone, this is my first post so I apologize if it is not in the right forum location. I searched around but did not see an answer for this.

I recently bought a new Mac mini and it is running 10.14.1 with the most current version of Logic Pro, 10.4.3. I took all my music files from my old MacBook Pro and put them on an external SSD with a USB-C connection to the Mac mini. I opened a project file, hit play, and immediately something was wrong. Random tracks at random times will be cutting in and out. It is not my speakers or headphones. This is happened to audio tracks and midi tracks with plugins such as Alchemy and Serum.

I have seen a lot of people say to keep your samples on an external if your hard drive isn't that big. I moved the project file directly onto the Mac mini but it still did nothing to fix the issue.

When the tracks are cutting in and out I do not see the green light turning off on the respective tracks. They stay turned on the whole time.

Any help is more than appreciated!

Processor: 32 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

CPU meter is no more than 15%-30% used depending on where in the song. I have 12 threads activated.

HD meter is not registering anything other than jump to 15% when I hit play and then falls down.

Buffer Size is 1024

Process Buffer Range is Large.

I noticed this is not happening on all projects so I am wondering if maybe the ones affected became corrupted somehow.

Nothing running in the background.

Everything is up to date. Updated to OSX 10.14.2 as well.

The size of this project is 133 MB.

45 tracks with most of them being audio tracks.

Using serum and alchemy on draft modes (lowest setting).

Barely any automation. Just a few tracks and the ones that have it is just to make a simple rise in reverb during the buildups.

I have attached pictures

407941673_ScreenShot2019-01-14at7_06_55PM.thumb.png.a9e7e67247cf94ee409484c672478a2d.png

708816471_ScreenShot2019-01-14at7_07_17PM.thumb.png.b8339b1a2fa9b61168131c839f358355.png

2043830704_ScreenShot2019-01-14at7_07_33PM.thumb.png.54bb3075d3acaca3c09f0fd1c2a257bd.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear this, Bro. Looks like I've got the same exact computer as you. Same specs. No issues here. What's your audio interface? I'm running an Apollo x8 via TB3. I'm also using separate external TB3 drives for my sessions and samples. Are these 96K sessions perhaps? I don't use Serum, or Alchemy, but from what I can see that session should run like butter at 128 or 256 buffer. 1024 is nuts for that.

FYI: In the first couple weeks of use, my Mac mini was running 'coreSpeech' in the background. Discovered this in Activity monitor -- it was an absolute CPU crusher, found a thread about it, and got it to disable by Turing Siri on/and off then rebooting. I'd check to see if that's going on. Wish I could be of more help.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...