Track is not getting both MIDI button press and release events

jamsden

I’m using an Apogee GiO to control Helix Native in a software instrument track in Logic Pro X. I use a side change to get the guitar input into Helix Native, and can configure Helix Native to use MIDI CC messages to control Helix parameters. I use this technique because Logic Pro X doesn’t send MIDI messages to Audio FX plugins.

Using MIDI Montior, I see press and release events from Apogee GiO button presses, press sends CC message with value 0, release sends the same CC message with value 127.

For some reason, the Logic software instrument track only sees the button release with value 0 - which unfortunately doesn’t do anything in Helix Native. I even looked in the environment monitor and only see the button release event, the press event with value 127 appears to be being filtered out somewhere.

Anyone know which the release event isn’t being seen, and what I can do to change that behavior?

I figured it out. I also have controller assignments setup for the GiO, controlling Helix Native through Logic plugin automation parameters. This works fine, but 1) it is much more complicated to setup and 2) Helix Native only has 16 switches and 16 knobs that can be mapped to automation parameters.

What's happening is that MIDI events that have controller assignments aren't sent to the track.

I guess that's a feature, but I'm not sure.

...What's happening is that MIDI events that have controller assignments aren't sent to the track.

I guess that's a feature, but I'm not sure.

You're correct, Those midi messages are "hi-jacked" by Logics controller assignments and never reach the physical input object in the environment.