Drum Kit Designer (+Drummer) Buffer issues

Sascha Franck

There's several issues coming along with DKD (and some other "new line" instruments). Sometimes you can not play stuff on beat one when recording, sometimes they start to play like a seasick drunk during count in, etc. It's horrible and occasionally downright unuseable.

Here's a little example of what happens as well, due to whatever weird buffer reasons. Doesn't even need sound to be demonstrated...*sigh*.

DKD_Buffer.gif.8aaf11b5585661b7a3a712a9390c0f3e.gif

This is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. I tried each and every setting there is, even switched off all of the infamous new EXS wrapping instruments - and still, at least when starting I'm getting sound out of instruments that are supposed to simply *not play*!

I'm getting sick of this, seriously. Fortunately, Apple is forcing me to look for another kind of computer anyway.

Tried that. As said, I have tried just about everything. And as said, it's just not Drummer. And also not just DKD. But it's in fact mostly an issue with Logics sample based instruments. Which, when you think about it, is even more embarassing. I mean, these are from the same company as the sequencer, so I'd expect them to "just work".

I think this is the latency compensation engine, because it "prerolls" for the amount of latency it has to compensate for.

I've tried the following:

- new project

- drummer track

- cycle range one bar exactly where DK ends its region. All good.

THEN i add izotope debreath (600ms of latency) on any track, and drunk s#!+ starts to happen (but only for the first cycle), however if i disable Playback Preroll under latency compensation, it sstops being drunk.

IF i add 4 debreaths, it goes absolutely crazy and drums for 4 cycles (with preroll enabled)

Also, logic has issues with tempo ramps and midi timing.

Really, regardless of what you do, there's always the moment when something unexpected happens, which is only highlighted when using Drummer or one of the EXS wrappers - obviously the worst case being when they come in combination.

If they don't fix this a lot earlier before Mojave gets unsupported, this is defenitely gonna be the last Mac I'll ever use. I don't support a self-proposed elitist company that doesn't even manage to fix several year old bugs in their software. That's just friggin' pathetic.