A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

dvasa

Re: This catch playhead turning on by itself, still a bug or just user error?

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Still not fixed in 10.5.1 - I fear this will NEVER be fixed, the most annoying bug ever
super frustrated here :-(

garrywithtwors

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:16 am

dvasa wrote:
Still not fixed in 10.5.1 - I fear this will NEVER be fixed, the most annoying bug ever
super frustrated here :-(

Have you reported it?

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I have. Maybe we should all send in multiple complaints from multiple emails and they'll pay attention? Idk
Mac mini 2018
3.2 ghz 6 core i7
32 gb ram
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

dvasa

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:37 am

i've sent this feedback several times but have now done it from another mail address too

tonysalter

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:05 am

Same problem here. Every update I hope they'll add a 'do not scroll' option but alas same uber frustrating issue.
Trying all sorts of workarounds/buttons/setting, and some work for a minute but as soon as I click on a midi note the scroll comes on again. OMG.
Is there a steadfast way to defeat piano roll movement?

Atlas007

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:58 am

Wild guess: have you tried in a separate window (instead of pane)...
Sorry, could not try it , as I'm not at the studio presently.
LogicPro 10.6.2, MainStage3.5.2
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

dvasa

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:09 am

Atlas007 wrote:
Wild guess: have you tried in a separate window (instead of pane)...
Sorry, could not try it , as I'm not at the studio presently.

Unfortunately no difference, horrible horrible bug, and amazing there’s not that much talk about it

jwilliam

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Same problem.

1. Create a region with a bunch of notes and set it to cycle the length of the region.
  2. Open Piano Roll, turn off Catch Playhead.
  3. Zoom in on Piano Roll and scroll to the end of the region so you can see the cycle point on-screen.
  4. Wait until the Playhead is on screen and select any note.
  5. Catch Playhead will re-enable itself 100% of the time for me.

heilei

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 am

Confirmed (Logic Pro X 10.5.1, macOS Catalina 10.5.5). Following the steps jwilliam listed above, Catch Playhead enables itself, even if all Catch settings are off. Rather annoying, to say the least...

psychoid

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am

This is a genuine bug, and is easily replicated; right click on the Catch Playhead button and disable all options. While Logic is playing back, zoom in on a MIDI region in the Piano roll before or after the playhead, and click onto a note. It sometimes takes several clicks onto various notes, but the Catch Playhead button enables itself mysteriously, and the current view in the Piano Roll jumps to the current playhead position (annoyingly moving away from your current editing position). I've reported this to Apple ...I hope this is fixed soon, people are losing their minds over this.
Production, Mixing & Mastering
http://www.darrenburgos.com

Byland

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi I try to replicate this issue for I have it my self for many year, but perhaps I found a solutions. If you hit the Catch Playhead button you find three options, unmark those both in Arrange and Pianoroll windows and in the Preference Settings. When I did so all work as it should do, zoom and pianoroll stand still for editing. I working with Logic 10.4.8 and 10.5. I don't have tested 10.5 yet!
Logic 10.4.8 and Logic 10.5.0 High Sierra Mac Pro 12 3.06Ghz 32 gb. Macbook pro 15 2.4 i7 16gb. Fireface 800. Yamaha s70xs

dvasa

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:15 am

Byland wrote:
Hi I try to replicate this issue for I have it my self for many year, but perhaps I found a solutions. If you hit the Catch Playhead button you find three options, unmark those both in Arrange and Pianoroll windows and in the Preference Settings. When I did so all work as it should do, zoom and pianoroll stand still for editing. I working with Logic 10.4.8 and 10.5. I don't have tested 10.5 yet!

sorry, this is not useful, it's definitely clear from reading this thread that we have tried all these things. I've been using logic for about 17 years, since Emagic days..and this is a newer issue that has been around for about 2 years now...this issue is present even in 10.5.1 - Nice new features, same old bugs!!

We need them to pull a "Snow Leopard" on Logic..a few years of fixing and refining

Byland

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:03 am

jwilliam wrote:
Same problem.

1. Create a region with a bunch of notes and set it to cycle the length of the region.
  2. Open Piano Roll, turn off Catch Playhead.
  3. Zoom in on Piano Roll and scroll to the end of the region so you can see the cycle point on-screen.
  4. Wait until the Playhead is on screen and select any note.
  5. Catch Playhead will re-enable itself 100% of the time for me.

I can't reproduce this behavier. All works fine, very few times the catch button lights up, I hit the background of pianoroll and the light go away. Sometimes I lose my wiew but very few times.
Logic 10.4.8 and Logic 10.5.0 High Sierra Mac Pro 12 3.06Ghz 32 gb. Macbook pro 15 2.4 i7 16gb. Fireface 800. Yamaha s70xs

dvasa

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:19 pm

so you're saying the it lights up and it goes off by itself, then are you reproducing it. this is exactly the problem. if it happens to light just as the playhead goes off the screen then the view follows the playhead. if your playhead always stays in view then it won't auto scroll and this bug won't impact you but it's a bug nonetheless.

i see on peoples logic tutorials on youtube the catch button with a mind of it's own because the user cycles an area and the entire cycle is in view, the page doesn't scroll and these people aren't complaining. but the catch playhead bug is certainly visible

Byland

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:52 pm

Hi, I still say it's 99 % better the earlier for me, so I am satisfied.

dvasa

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:58 am

Can you guys who are seeing this issue see if this happens in long regions?
I'm working in a region that is 79 bars long and I've not had the issue once while working in it
I then copied a portion of that region, 1.2 bars and the issue is occuring...maybe there's a region length at which this issue stops occurring?

tyrebo

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:51 am

just want to add my voice to those really frustrated by this. I don't recall ever having a problem in the first versions I learned on, about 5 years ago. I think some added "feature" at some point brought this on. When the playhead does, or does not, return to recent start position is another change I don't recall in the past, now a frustration. Yes I know where all the settings are.. where and when they are relevant seems to be a cluster.. kind of like the "catch" feature. Somebody once told me catch turned back off because I did something.. I do that in Logic, do stuff. Anyway, a no doubt unhelpful rant
Logic Pro X 10.4.5
OSX 10.14.3
MacBook Pro
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB memory
Audiofuse audio interface

Rainbow Warrior

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 am

It's driving me nuts too - I've been on Logic since it was C-Lab Notator, so I know my way around pretty well. This hasn't happened before. Maybe it's a new setting and I'm missing something??
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
iMac Pro
Processor 14-Core Intel Xeon W Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory 64Gb
Apogee Duet

Rainbow Warrior

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Subsequent to my post earlier:
This is not user error. I have checked this out on an older operating system and I can't reproduce it. However, I can reproduce it consistently on my new machine and the latest version of Logic - 10.5.1.
It appears to happens when the playhead is visible in the piano roll and the end of the region is also visible. It doesn't happen if you extend the end of the region so that it disappears out of sight, and neither does it happen if you loop the region or if there is another region following on the same track that is also selected (empty or containing data - it doesn't matter). I'll report it to Apple - in the meantime I hope this helps.
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
iMac Pro
Processor 14-Core Intel Xeon W Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory 64Gb
Apogee Duet

tonysalter

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:59 am

This bug is exactly what I have and I don't want catch on ever while editing.

Apple Logic devs please allow us to "disable catch".

garrywithtwors

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:51 pm

Guys I'm gonna test it out now. But I just checked the release notes for 10.6 and peep:

- Resolves an issue where Catch Playhead sometimes unexpectedly activates in the Piano Roll own editing notes during playback.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718
Mac mini 2018
3.2 ghz 6 core i7
32 gb ram
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
Logic Pro X 10.6.1