This catch playhead turning on by itself, still a bug or just user error?

aguyfromsomewhere

I have also been having this issue. Incredibly frustrating. I have tried unchecking the playhead boxes in preferences and arrangement, piano roll, and score editor windows. I have tried reseting preferences, reinstalling logic and deleting preference files. No fix!

I'm at the end of my tether with this issue, a problem for years!!

how do many others not come across this?

I mean it's not even possible to keep it active (all options on) and scroll the piano roll without it turning off automatically

I didn't see this improve in 10.5 so am back on 10.4.8 for now

Logic team you're causing me so much pain - I like what they've done in 10.5 but now please spend the next 3 years fixing bugs like this!!! I like logic but this is ridiculous

...catch and zoom are like zombies to me, tried every suggestion/etc I've ever come across...and still they still just do wetf they want...no clue.../s~

i hear you on the catch side of things - haven't noticed any issues with zoom though, what's happening?

...aaaaah...makes'em big, makes'em small, zoom fill the screen...think catch got hold of the zoom button...:cry:.../s~

i guess everyone works differently so I may not come across your particular issue

my zoom workflow is

CMD+DRAG to zoom window, CMD+CLICK to jump back one level

And ALT+SCROLL to zoom in/out either vertically or horizontally

I tell you another thing that drives me crazy when using the magic mouse is when clicking to move a note or region and the page scrolls beneath

I am looking for the same aim as others in this thread. I don't want the catch playhead to ever turn on. Ever. I want it to always be off. If anyone out there likes to have catch playhead enabled, what are you doing with it, loading Beethoven midi files and watching the piano roll as it plays? Cause you sure aren't editing midi notes in the piano roll while the track is playing. Haha just kidding, to each their own workflow. But this bug is a workflow annoyance for both camps!

Anyway, as suggested earlier in this thread by someone, I joined in sending more feedback to the Logic people.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Here is what I think would be easy for them to add without ruffling feathers for anyone who likes all this catch playhead customizability. They should add two check boxes into the preferences->general->catch section of preferecnes:

Checkbox 1 - Enable Catch Playhead - The factory default for this would be that it is enabled. But, if the user unchecks the box, then all 1,000,000 other catch playhead settings in Logic are overridden and it can never turn on no matter what you do.

Checkbox 2 - Catch playhead Always On - they could throw this in there for the people who like the catch playhead feature and are annoyed when it randomly turns off. maybe it could be greyed out in the preferences when Enable Catch Playhead box I suggested above is unchecked. The factory default for this would be that it is not enabled

Im no code genius, but this seems like something they could add into the software fairly easily, and if they use the default settings I suggested above, then nothing changes for the users out there who have no issues with how the catch playhead works as it is right now.

Edited by djohnq

Or here is another way to approach the issue: they could add a "lock" option to each instance of catch playhead. So then you could click it with your mouse in any window (main, piano roll, score, etc) to either turn it off or on. Then you could right click and choose "Lock" That way, it will stay either on or off no matter what. and you could have different settings for each window.

Or here is another way to approach the issue: they could add a "lock" option to each instance of catch playhead. So then you could click it with your mouse in any window (main, piano roll, score, etc) to either turn it off or on. Then you could right click and choose "Lock" That way, it will stay either on or off no matter what. and you could have different settings for each window.

i'm with you man, this is so frustrating - i'm currently editing drums for an entire song and this is driving crazy and has been for YEARS

I also wish there was a way to just completely deactivate it

there's an obsession with following playhead where you have zero option to deactivate, e.g. Da Vinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, etc..

Same problem here. Every update I hope they'll add a 'do not scroll' option but alas same uber frustrating issue.

Trying all sorts of workarounds/buttons/setting, and some work for a minute but as soon as I click on a midi note the scroll comes on again. OMG.

Is there a steadfast way to defeat piano roll movement?

Wild guess: have you tried in a separate window (instead of pane)...

Sorry, could not try it , as I'm not at the studio presently.

Unfortunately no difference, horrible horrible bug, and amazing there’s not that much talk about it

Same problem.

1. Create a region with a bunch of notes and set it to cycle the length of the region.
  2. Open Piano Roll, turn off Catch Playhead.
  3. Zoom in on Piano Roll and scroll to the end of the region so you can see the cycle point on-screen.
  4. Wait until the Playhead is on screen and select any note.
  5. Catch Playhead will re-enable itself 100% of the time for me.

This is a genuine bug, and is easily replicated; right click on the Catch Playhead button and disable all options. While Logic is playing back, zoom in on a MIDI region in the Piano roll before or after the playhead, and click onto a note. It sometimes takes several clicks onto various notes, but the Catch Playhead button enables itself mysteriously, and the current view in the Piano Roll jumps to the current playhead position (annoyingly moving away from your current editing position). I've reported this to Apple ...I hope this is fixed soon, people are losing their minds over this.

Hi I try to replicate this issue for I have it my self for many year, but perhaps I found a solutions. If you hit the Catch Playhead button you find three options, unmark those both in Arrange and Pianoroll windows and in the Preference Settings. When I did so all work as it should do, zoom and pianoroll stand still for editing. I working with Logic 10.4.8 and 10.5. I don't have tested 10.5 yet!

Hi I try to replicate this issue for I have it my self for many year, but perhaps I found a solutions. If you hit the Catch Playhead button you find three options, unmark those both in Arrange and Pianoroll windows and in the Preference Settings. When I did so all work as it should do, zoom and pianoroll stand still for editing. I working with Logic 10.4.8 and 10.5. I don't have tested 10.5 yet!

sorry, this is not useful, it's definitely clear from reading this thread that we have tried all these things. I've been using logic for about 17 years, since Emagic days..and this is a newer issue that has been around for about 2 years now...this issue is present even in 10.5.1 - Nice new features, same old bugs!!

We need them to pull a "Snow Leopard" on Logic..a few years of fixing and refining

Same problem.

1. Create a region with a bunch of notes and set it to cycle the length of the region.
  2. Open Piano Roll, turn off Catch Playhead.
  3. Zoom in on Piano Roll and scroll to the end of the region so you can see the cycle point on-screen.
  4. Wait until the Playhead is on screen and select any note.
  5. Catch Playhead will re-enable itself 100% of the time for me.

I can't reproduce this behavier. All works fine, very few times the catch button lights up, I hit the background of pianoroll and the light go away. Sometimes I lose my wiew but very few times.

so you're saying the it lights up and it goes off by itself, then are you reproducing it. this is exactly the problem. if it happens to light just as the playhead goes off the screen then the view follows the playhead. if your playhead always stays in view then it won't auto scroll and this bug won't impact you but it's a bug nonetheless.

i see on peoples logic tutorials on youtube the catch button with a mind of it's own because the user cycles an area and the entire cycle is in view, the page doesn't scroll and these people aren't complaining. but the catch playhead bug is certainly visible

• 4 weeks later...

Can you guys who are seeing this issue see if this happens in long regions?

I'm working in a region that is 79 bars long and I've not had the issue once while working in it

I then copied a portion of that region, 1.2 bars and the issue is occuring...maybe there's a region length at which this issue stops occurring?

just want to add my voice to those really frustrated by this. I don't recall ever having a problem in the first versions I learned on, about 5 years ago. I think some added "feature" at some point brought this on. When the playhead does, or does not, return to recent start position is another change I don't recall in the past, now a frustration. Yes I know where all the settings are.. where and when they are relevant seems to be a cluster.. kind of like the "catch" feature. Somebody once told me catch turned back off because I did something.. I do that in Logic, do stuff. Anyway, a no doubt unhelpful rant

• 2 months later...

Subsequent to my post earlier:

This is not user error. I have checked this out on an older operating system and I can't reproduce it. However, I can reproduce it consistently on my new machine and the latest version of Logic - 10.5.1.

It appears to happens when the playhead is visible in the piano roll and the end of the region is also visible. It doesn't happen if you extend the end of the region so that it disappears out of sight, and neither does it happen if you loop the region or if there is another region following on the same track that is also selected (empty or containing data - it doesn't matter). I'll report it to Apple - in the meantime I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...