This catch playhead turning on by itself, still a bug or just user error?

aguyfromsomewhere

so does 10.6 actually resolve the issue? I'd need to update OS which I'm reluctant to do but this issue has plagued me enough

Nope. Been testin it out and sure enough still got the bug

Hi,

The upgrade certainly works for me. All I can think is that you are missing something. It is a bit convoluted. In the preferences you can set the default behaviour when you open a new window, but if you right click the playhead button in each window you get extra options specific to that window. The upgrade has fixed the issue for me.

PS - I loaded a different project and the problem has returned.

!!!!!!

Edited by Rainbow Warrior

• 2 weeks later...
so does 10.6 actually resolve the issue? I'd need to update OS which I'm reluctant to do but this issue has plagued me enough

Nope. Been testin it out and sure enough still got the bug

Hi Garry, I thought the bug was fixed, but then it happened again. I reported to Apple and they got back to me asking me to send a file and explain how to reproduce the problem. Unfortunately, now I can't reproduce it (maybe it was happening in a specific project?)

Can you reliably reproduce the bug? If so, please can I refer Apple to you so they can follow it up?

I have a file that reproduces the problem.

I created a new project, added one instrument track, picked an instrument, recorded some notes.

Open piano roll editor.

Make sure that catch playhead button is off.

(I also verified that all of the options to turn on catch playhead were disabled - by right-clicking on the catch playhead button)

Put it in cycle mode (I hit the "U" key)

Start play back.

Select any of the MIDI notes in the piano roll editor.

I put a video of the bug and the project file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/goq3s6cyogevvmg/AACfQ1oHgqMnzFMyT5CILrMra?dl=0

I would *soooo* love a fix for this one. It really messes up my workflow.

I created a new project, added one instrument track, picked an instrument, recorded some notes.

Open piano roll editor.

(I also verified that all of the options to turn on catch playhead were disabled - by right-clicking on the catch playhead button)

Start play back.

Many thanks for this - I'll let Apple know right away!

Open piano roll editor.

Start play back.

Hi Jak - which version of Logic did you use to create the project?

I saw the video, and that's exactly what was happening before, but then they released 10.6 and now 10.6.1. I was getting something similar happening in 10.6, but less regularly. Now I'm unable to reproduce it. I downloaded your project file file and it worked perfectly on my system.

It's certainly much better than it was - but I don't think it's completely fixed.

• 3 months later...
Guys I'm gonna test it out now. But I just checked the release notes for 10.6 and peep:

- Resolves an issue where Catch Playhead sometimes unexpectedly activates in the Piano Roll own editing notes during playback.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

a little late in seeing this, thanks for looking into it. Damn, this means I may have to update... I generally resist! Thanks again, this has been a real irritation.

Did you update, and did it help?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have read all the post in this topic, and I see that two settings are not mentions at all.

In arrange window /view /link there are three alternatives, off, same level and content. If I set this to content and in the piano roll window /view /check link and set next to selected region.

My expression is that Logic is stable with that and I can working with a region and that despite that logic is running in a cycle. I have both 10.4.6 and 10.6.2 of Logic. I have all the other catch setting checked.

• 1 year later...

I'm sure you fixed it by now but I was having the same problem and I finally tried control clicking the little catch playhead button that kept turning on for me, and it showed that "catch when starting playback", and "catch when moving playhead" were selected even though they weren't when I checked preferences. It immediately stopped happening now so if anyone else is having that issue try that for sure.

Edited by Mylopres

• 10 months later...

I can reproduce this, so definately a bug, and I totally feel like "aguyfromsomewhere" posing about this FOUR years ago.

When doing fine editing much zoomed the last thing you want on playback is catch, loose and then have to refind the edit point on every playback. There is NO alternative workflow unless you're content with not being able to listen do your edits while doing them, you simply can't make it do override the auto on.

Just as OP I disabled all three "Auto Catch" options in prefs, and checked for conflicting hotkeys. No avail, still just re-engages catch on spacebar playback, or when pressing playback button on transport pane.

I'm on Logic 10.7.9, Monterey

It completely voids the purpose of there even being a button to switch catch off. Does apple even care about Logic anymore?

Edited by thalund
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, thalund said:

There is NO alternative workflow unless you're content with not being able to listen do your edits while doing them, you simply can't make it do override the auto on.

It works if you turn off "Catch when Starting Playback" both:

1. Globally (Logic Pro > Settings > General > Catch), AND
  2. Locally (Control-click the Catch button in your editor). 

reverse-fader.gif