A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

dvasa

Re: This catch playhead turning on by itself, still a bug or just user error?

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:00 am

Couple of other things to reproduce
- catch playhead lights when clicking in the piano roll and when session is playing
- it will only auto activate when playhead is still in view, not off the screen
- doesn’t seem to be affected by play or stop
- if it has turned on, then you scroll the window, it will turn it off

I use the key command: “play from left window edge” to work in isolated section, this ensures I can always stay in view
So as I’m clicking notes or even the background, catch playhead will activate
Then as the playhead goes off screen it messes up my view and I need to scroll back to where I was. Been dealing with this for about 2 years now I think.

dvasa

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 am

I can't believe more aren't talking about this, how can this not be driving more people mental?

Atlas007

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Different workflow perhaps?
LogicPro 10.6.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.5.1
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

garrywithtwors

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:44 pm

Bump cause this is still driving me crazy. Still consistent in 10.4.8
Mac mini 2018
3.2 ghz 6 core i7
32 gb ram
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
Logic Pro X 10.6.1

dvasa

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 am

Yes indeed, worst possible bug. Piano roll seems to have several issues.
Problem is once a bug arrives in Logic it takes YEARS for it to be fixed.

Another thing about this bug, in certain places in the song it doesn’t seem to occur. If I remember correctly around the bar 60 area.

Strangely even if I activate Catch, then scroll the window it deactivates and that’s with all pref’s configured correctly and people still aren’t moaning about it? is it only me?

nev17

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 am

I've been drawing attention to this bug for a number of years. Even though it's a bug that causes irritation every time the piano roll is opened, it still doesn't seem to be a priority for Apple. I've given up at this point. A few new bugs have appeared in the piano roll, such as, every now and then, when I attempt to move a note, the piano roll jumps to a different region in another part of the song. C'est la vie.
iMac 21.5" 2.8GHz quad core i5
8GB RAM
OS 10.15.7
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
Audient iD22 interface

modrnspashp

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:15 am

I'm having this same issue. I'm losing my #%^*$(&^ mind with this thing. At the exact time I don't want the playhead on is when I'm clicking on specific notes in the midi editor. And at that exact moment the screen changes and I lose my place. It's like it knows exactly when I don't want it to move and it moves. I've turned off every playhead I can find and the one in preferences. I wish the option wasn't even here. Why would anybody want this!!!!!

dvasa

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:44 am

modrnspashp wrote:
I'm having this same issue. I'm losing my #%^*$(&^ mind with this thing. At the exact time I don't want the playhead on is when I'm clicking on specific notes in the midi editor. And at that exact moment the screen changes and I lose my place. It's like it knows exactly when I don't want it to move and it moves. I've turned off every playhead I can find and the one in preferences. I wish the option wasn't even here. Why would anybody want this!!!!!

man it feels like I just wrote your post!!!
it's crazy, Apple are SH*T
Music making should be fun and the software should make it easier...ha!!

couple of workarounds - don't click anywhere in piano roll as the playhead is close to the end of the page
Use the ENTER key to start playback from your last play position (with cycle off)
Work at a lower zoom level so you have more time
If it activates close to the end of the page, try and scroll SLIGHTLY and that will turn it off

Funny thing is, even with all the options on and catch activate, if you scroll the window left/right it turns it off, and no-one is complaining about that!
Hell, even try and activate it using key command (tilda)) in Piano roll while scrolling? it's not possible

Lincoln M

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 am

I too am seeing this problem and getting a bit frustrated! Catch will turn on everyone I hit play. All catch prefs unchecked.
OSX 10.15.4
Logic 10.4.8
Cables

Scardy

Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 pm

I am also having this problem. Logic is full of incredibly annoying bugs. I have NO idea why they make you have to uncheck so many things in the main window and piano roll window to turn off catch playhead. It's astounding.

One tip I do have is that if you hit "Ctrl" click (on Mac) on the catch playhead button it brings up a few selections that you have to uncheck. But I've also already done that and it automatically turns back on whenever I close the piano roll and re-open.

ultamin

Sun May 24, 2020 11:23 am

I have also been having this issue. Incredibly frustrating. I have tried unchecking the playhead boxes in preferences and arrangement, piano roll, and score editor windows. I have tried reseting preferences, reinstalling logic and deleting preference files. No fix!

dvasa

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 am

I'm at the end of my tether with this issue, a problem for years!!
how do many others not come across this?
I mean it's not even possible to keep it active (all options on) and scroll the piano roll without it turning off automatically
I didn't see this improve in 10.5 so am back on 10.4.8 for now

Logic team you're causing me so much pain - I like what they've done in 10.5 but now please spend the next 3 years fixing bugs like this!!! I like logic but this is ridiculous

steveLpx1

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 am

...catch and zoom are like zombies to me, tried every suggestion/etc I've ever come across...and still they still just do wetf they want...no clue.../s~
mbp13/e2011 | 2.7ghz.i7 | 16gig.ram | 512g/1tb ssds | osx 10.14.6
mbp16/e2020 | 2.3ghz i9 | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | osx 11.3.1
logic10.5.1/10.6.2 | reaper6.16/64 | focusrite.2i2 | parallels/win7/win10

dvasa

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:16 am

steveLpx1 wrote:
...catch and zoom are like zombies to me, tried every suggestion/etc I've ever come across...and still they still just do wetf they want...no clue.../s~

i hear you on the catch side of things - haven't noticed any issues with zoom though, what's happening?

steveLpx1

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am

...aaaaah...makes'em big, makes'em small, zoom fill the screen...think catch got hold of the zoom button...:cry:.../s~
mbp13/e2011 | 2.7ghz.i7 | 16gig.ram | 512g/1tb ssds | osx 10.14.6
mbp16/e2020 | 2.3ghz i9 | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | osx 11.3.1
logic10.5.1/10.6.2 | reaper6.16/64 | focusrite.2i2 | parallels/win7/win10

dvasa

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 am

steveLpx1 wrote:
...aaaaah...makes'em big, makes'em small, zoom fill the screen...think catch got hold of the zoom button...:cry:.../s~

i guess everyone works differently so I may not come across your particular issue
my zoom workflow is
CMD+DRAG to zoom window, CMD+CLICK to jump back one level
And ALT+SCROLL to zoom in/out either vertically or horizontally

I tell you another thing that drives me crazy when using the magic mouse is when clicking to move a note or region and the page scrolls beneath

djohnq

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:00 pm

I am looking for the same aim as others in this thread. I don't want the catch playhead to ever turn on. Ever. I want it to always be off. If anyone out there likes to have catch playhead enabled, what are you doing with it, loading Beethoven midi files and watching the piano roll as it plays? Cause you sure aren't editing midi notes in the piano roll while the track is playing. Haha just kidding, to each their own workflow. But this bug is a workflow annoyance for both camps!

Anyway, as suggested earlier in this thread by someone, I joined in sending more feedback to the Logic people.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Here is what I think would be easy for them to add without ruffling feathers for anyone who likes all this catch playhead customizability. They should add two check boxes into the preferences->general->catch section of preferecnes:

Checkbox 1 - Enable Catch Playhead - The factory default for this would be that it is enabled. But, if the user unchecks the box, then all 1,000,000 other catch playhead settings in Logic are overridden and it can never turn on no matter what you do.

Checkbox 2 - Catch playhead Always On - they could throw this in there for the people who like the catch playhead feature and are annoyed when it randomly turns off. maybe it could be greyed out in the preferences when Enable Catch Playhead box I suggested above is unchecked. The factory default for this would be that it is not enabled

Im no code genius, but this seems like something they could add into the software fairly easily, and if they use the default settings I suggested above, then nothing changes for the users out there who have no issues with how the catch playhead works as it is right now.
Last edited by djohnq on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djohnq

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Or here is another way to approach the issue: they could add a "lock" option to each instance of catch playhead. So then you could click it with your mouse in any window (main, piano roll, score, etc) to either turn it off or on. Then you could right click and choose "Lock" That way, it will stay either on or off no matter what. and you could have different settings for each window.

dvasa

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm

djohnq wrote:
Or here is another way to approach the issue: they could add a "lock" option to each instance of catch playhead. So then you could click it with your mouse in any window (main, piano roll, score, etc) to either turn it off or on. Then you could right click and choose "Lock" That way, it will stay either on or off no matter what. and you could have different settings for each window.

i'm with you man, this is so frustrating - i'm currently editing drums for an entire song and this is driving crazy and has been for YEARS
I also wish there was a way to just completely deactivate it

there's an obsession with following playhead where you have zero option to deactivate, e.g. Da Vinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, etc..

JakobP

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:25 pm

I surrendered years ago and assigned ctrl+spacebar to toggle it...
Logic Pro 10.5.1 • MBP 15" Early 2013 • OS X 10.14.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 • 8GB RAM • 750GB SSD • Mac Mini Late 2012 • OS X 10.14.6 • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 • 16GB RAM • 240GB USB3 system SSD • Apple Thunderbolt Display • Focusrite Saffire 6 USB • Presonus Inspire 1394 • Roland UM-One mkII • Behringer FCB1010 • Gibson ES335 • cheap midi keyboard