This catch playhead turning on by itself, still a bug or just user error?

aguyfromsomewhere

Hi guys

Below is a link of the video clip, it's strange. Whenever editing notes in the piano roll, the catch playhead either turns on or off randomly. It's whenever im start / stopping, click and dragging.

Also, the event window keeps popping up when double clicking a midi not...not sure how to turn that off permanently. I've never had a use for the event editor or the floating window...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lpqc485ql0760g/catchplay.mov?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

The Logic Pro X "Catch Preferences" do not necessarily correspond to which of the 3 commands will be "checked" when you control-click on the little playhead button. They are only a starting point.

Having the floating event window pop up every time you double-click a MIDI note can be burdensome. You can hide it by pressing option-E. The fact that it shows up on a double-click makes sense (to me). A double-click on the Mac has been a shortcut for "Open" since the beginning, so the double-click is interpreted in the way it has been for 35 years...I think you are dealing with interface DNA which is deeply embedded. I use the Event Float sometimes, so its appearance is "normal". Simple way to edit the event by typing!

I have not been able to reproduce the "catch playhead" bug that I saw in your video, no matter what I do. It certainly should be called a bug. Hard to get it fixed without some way to reproduce it reliably...

Ok. Do you have anything assigned to the 'Catch Playhead Position' keycommand ? Could be a conflict there...

Catch keycommand.png

No, nothing. Blank.

Im hoping it's just something on my end, but turns out someone else in this thread has t he same issue...so the possibility that it's a bug, that is a conflict of events happening within the code during the process shown, which makes it all the more difficult to reproduce.

1. Open piano roll, zoom in.

2. Edit piano roll in cycle mode.

3. Stop, play with space bar.

4. Continue to edit piano roll, while stopping and playing with the space bar.

5. It will randomly turn on catchplay head.

Just the simplest way to put it, in the steps I use to reproduce the said issue randomly.

Ok. Do you have anything assigned to the 'Catch Playhead Position' keycommand ? Could be a conflict there...

Catch keycommand.png

No, nothing. Blank.

Im hoping it's just something on my end, but turns out someone else in this thread has t he same issue...so the possibility that it's a bug, that is a conflict of events happening within the code during the process shown, which makes it all the more difficult to reproduce.

1. Open piano roll, zoom in.

2. Edit piano roll in cycle mode.

3. Stop, play with space bar.

4. Continue to edit piano roll, while stopping and playing with the space bar.

5. It will randomly turn on catchplay head.

Just the simplest way to put it, in the steps I use to reproduce the said issue randomly.

From what I understand reading your explanation, this is standard behaviour. The second you move/edit something, Logic will turn off Catch playhead button because it's assumed that you don't want to loose the view on what you're editing. It kinda makes sense. Press Play again and it will put Catch on because you want to see where you are in your project when pressing Play. Edit/move something again, Catch will turn off again.

Or maybe I didn't understand what your problem is…

Blink

The issue is that i don't want catch playhead to turn on automatically...it turns on automatically. I want it off, forever...like I never use it. Never ever ever. But yet, if im zoomed in and working in the piano rolls and the song is playing , and im editing...low and behold catch playhead randomly turns on and i lose my place of editing...it makes me literally want to headbutt my monitor until a shard lodges into my skull deep enough to kill me.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m with you man, this bug is plaguing me!!! I would love to find a way to disable catch playhead forever!

I’ve posted a couple times on gearslutz about it. It’s 100% a bug and I struggle to see how others aren’t coming across it.

I’ve been using this program for over 15 years and this popped up around 10.3.4 or so and never gets fixed.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1289837-logic-10-4-7-piano-roll-super-buggy.html?posted=1#post14357897

Have you submitted logic feedback to Apple. Loads of people need to do this before something gets fixed.

Couple of other things to reproduce

- catch playhead lights when clicking in the piano roll and when session is playing

- it will only auto activate when playhead is still in view, not off the screen

- doesn’t seem to be affected by play or stop

- if it has turned on, then you scroll the window, it will turn it off

I use the key command: “play from left window edge” to work in isolated section, this ensures I can always stay in view

So as I’m clicking notes or even the background, catch playhead will activate

Then as the playhead goes off screen it messes up my view and I need to scroll back to where I was. Been dealing with this for about 2 years now I think.

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed, worst possible bug. Piano roll seems to have several issues.

Problem is once a bug arrives in Logic it takes YEARS for it to be fixed.

Another thing about this bug, in certain places in the song it doesn’t seem to occur. If I remember correctly around the bar 60 area.

Strangely even if I activate Catch, then scroll the window it deactivates and that’s with all pref’s configured correctly and people still aren’t moaning about it? is it only me?

I've been drawing attention to this bug for a number of years. Even though it's a bug that causes irritation every time the piano roll is opened, it still doesn't seem to be a priority for Apple. I've given up at this point. A few new bugs have appeared in the piano roll, such as, every now and then, when I attempt to move a note, the piano roll jumps to a different region in another part of the song. C'est la vie.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having this same issue. I'm losing my #%^*$(&^ mind with this thing. At the exact time I don't want the playhead on is when I'm clicking on specific notes in the midi editor. And at that exact moment the screen changes and I lose my place. It's like it knows exactly when I don't want it to move and it moves. I've turned off every playhead I can find and the one in preferences. I wish the option wasn't even here. Why would anybody want this!!!!!

I'm having this same issue. I'm losing my #%^*$(&^ mind with this thing. At the exact time I don't want the playhead on is when I'm clicking on specific notes in the midi editor. And at that exact moment the screen changes and I lose my place. It's like it knows exactly when I don't want it to move and it moves. I've turned off every playhead I can find and the one in preferences. I wish the option wasn't even here. Why would anybody want this!!!!!

man it feels like I just wrote your post!!!

it's crazy, Apple are SH*T

Music making should be fun and the software should make it easier...ha!!

couple of workarounds - don't click anywhere in piano roll as the playhead is close to the end of the page

Use the ENTER key to start playback from your last play position (with cycle off)

Work at a lower zoom level so you have more time

If it activates close to the end of the page, try and scroll SLIGHTLY and that will turn it off

Funny thing is, even with all the options on and catch activate, if you scroll the window left/right it turns it off, and no-one is complaining about that!

Hell, even try and activate it using key command (tilda)) in Piano roll while scrolling? it's not possible

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am also having this problem. Logic is full of incredibly annoying bugs. I have NO idea why they make you have to uncheck so many things in the main window and piano roll window to turn off catch playhead. It's astounding.

One tip I do have is that if you hit "Ctrl" click (on Mac) on the catch playhead button it brings up a few selections that you have to uncheck. But I've also already done that and it automatically turns back on whenever I close the piano roll and re-open.