Automation and PDC is just broken (still in Logic Pro 10.6)

tedannemann

More food for thought.

Thanks for making that vid. The reason that's happening is because any track with a plugin sidechained to an AUX with latency inducing plugins on it will be pushed out of time. So by copying the gate, you're just adding the same messed up timing to the phase-swapped bass track, so now they're both messed up. But cancelling!

great thread.

Seems like the work around for now would be to bounce the instrument-AUX channel to a track, then change that track to audio channel, then use it to feed side chain as a non-live-bounced instrument. A bit of a headache, but at least the production can move on until Apple fixes this horrendous bug that has apparently been plaguing us for at least 2-3 years...

The automation PDC problem I am not familiar with the exact problem or if there is a work around?

• 4 months later...

Still no fix for the completely messed up Plug-in delay compensation in Logic Pro X.

I'm not getting tired to ask all Logic Pro X 10.5 users to really report this long time issue of Logic Pro:

Just take 2 minutes and send a bug report to Apple about the missing plug-in delay compensation for automation, side chain signals and beat synced plug-ins. Thank you for your help!

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah it's embarrassing for them to be honest, I wish it became more visible. Multiple large Logic YouTube channels or producers to make the issue more obvious to a lot of people.

10.6.1 released 2 days ago, haven't been able to get on the studio computer but I'm assuming the issue is still there.

• 3 months later...
Has this been looked at and/or resolved at all yet? It's so annoying! I moved from Ableton LIVE because they ironically don't allow great latency compensation that should aid LIVE PERFORMACE. Logics Low Latency Mode is phenomenal BUT when you start routing auxes into stacks, etc, it's essentially a waste of time because it disregards your chains on the parent busses/stacks and messes with the volume levels you track an instrument into the mix. And of course not to mention each bus ends up having it's own latency delays which throws the whole project out of sync, especially once you have a few Soothes here and there!!

Has this been looked at and/or resolved at all yet? It's so annoying! I moved from Ableton LIVE because they ironically don't allow great latency compensation that should aid LIVE PERFORMACE. Logics Low Latency Mode is phenomenal BUT when you start routing auxes into stacks, etc, it's essentially a waste of time because it disregards your chains on the parent busses/stacks and messes with the volume levels you track an instrument into the mix. And of course not to mention each bus ends up having it's own latency delays which throws the whole project out of sync, especially once you have a few Soothes here and there!!

Is there a way to calculate the cumulative latency effect per bus? I know you can find a plugin's latency by hovering over it, but I'm not sure it's as simple as adding all of those up—especially when automation is involved.

My issue stems from having multiple individual vocal tracks with Soothe and Waves Vocal Rider written onto the tracks as automation going to a lead vocal Aux channel and that going to an All Vox Aux channel. I'm getting some delay. I'm currently offsetting it with Logic's stock Sample Delay plugin and using my ear to guess if it's in time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, super helpful to find this thread.

I just wanted to clarify something for myself and thought I'd ask here...

In all my time using Logic in the past year, I haven't had any issues with automation, but just now I had a situation where I put in some automation to control the level of a bus send. Something was super off in the timing, and when I looked at the automation occurring, I saw that it was automating almost a bar before the automation. So, it's not necessarily "delayed" -- it's more "pre-delayed."

Is this also what others have been dealing with when they've mentioned automation delay? So far, I've only seen examples of proper delay happening after the automation.

I'm also perplexed as to why I haven't seen this behaviour before until now... weird. :|

the issue is that on your bus you have some plugins causing latency on the bus...and LogicPro deals with AUX latency by delaying all the other tracks to line up with it....except...LogicPro isn't properly delaying automation along with it...so... its early compared to the delayed AUX channel and all the other channels too.

LogicPro automation is fundamentally broken for many complex mixer situations, it works fine in simple situation in my opinion but when you start getting into AUX's with latency, side chaining, etc..it falls apart..there are many threads about this and Apple has ignored the problem for years unfortunately.

Ah, okay, that makes sense now. So bizarre that I haven't come across this before... And I've worked on some heavy projects in the past with loads of plugins, automation, etc. I can see how this can completely ruin projects and workflow if it's occurring all the time. Disappointing that Apple has done nothing.

I saw the petition and signed it, but also surprised to see so little signatures after 4 months!

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Could it be because of the keywords you used in your title? "Apple", "Logic" and "broken" are too common, and "PDC" is a user created acronym for what Apple calls "plug-in latency compensation".

sorry i reported you post by accident :) I wanted to "Reply" pff i need sleep.

Yeh maybe what does you report status say ?

Edited by ansolas

• 1 month later...
Just now, sunbrother said:

How are you all seeing these reports that you've sent in? I've sent in multiple reports about it using their feedback form that was linked on this forum and I never received any confirmation or reply.

There are no confirmations or replies. But I know they do get every single form you're submitting through that page.