Splitting MIDI Regions with overlapping notes

AxeAttaxe

I figured this would be self-explanatory since when I split a MIDI region (using Command+T - "Split Region at Playhead") containing a MIDI note crossing the line I am splitting it, a prompt arises: "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?"

Fair enough. Even fairer, I read the Logic documentation to make sure I understood what those three options mean. In my case, I want a clean split - let's say it's an 1/8th note evenly distributed over the split line; I want the result to be a 1/16th note with the original note's pitch+velocity to end the first region of two I am splitting, and for an identical 1/16th note with the same pitch+velocity to begin the second one.

Now it gets weird: Regardless of which of those three options I choose, the behavior is the same: The region is split as expected, but the note remains untouched - if I select the first region and look at the Piano Roll, I can see the 2nd half of that note (still all one note) hanging over the new end of the first region, and if I select the second region, I can see the first half of that note starting prior to the new region's starting line - appearing to hang out in space, though ostensibly still living in/across both regions.

Again, makes no difference whether I choose Keep, Shorten or Split at the prompt. In fact, from what I'm seeing, nothing at all changes between the three options - the region gets split but the note crossing the split line doesn't.

I've attached a screenshot showing this (I used "Split" in this instance but again, it doesn't matter, at least not visually). The only thing I can think of is that the note is not long enough to "qualify" for the options the prompt describes. I say this because it's a drum note and appears to be roughly a 64th note. I doubt that's the case but if it is, what then?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

p.s. I'm still a bit new here so if this image is way bigger than it should be, please coach me up on what size is preferred.

1433082257_MIDIRegionSplit.thumb.png.7b2b1227dfd9a17f71ecf3294caef6f1.png

Sorry not crazy!!! I saw your quick reply and figured I'd missed the easiest of ease, but no sir, not today... thanks for the feedback David.

Fortunately, the easy workaround here is to head to the Piano Roll, then highlight and split the MIDI note itself (and any others with this issue) along that same line, then split the region at that same spot back in the arrange window. The region will split, you won't get the prompt, and you'll have the same net effect as when the "Split" option works, I believe.