Graphics Lag due to Display Color Settings

danielqmark

I posted about an issue I was having recently with certain third-party plugins causing Logic to lag, but wanted to re-post for better searchable results. It took me a very long time to figure out the issue.

With certain plugins including Sonarworks' Reference, Soundtoys' Effect Rack, and Klanghhelm's MJUC, having the plugins open would cause Logic's meters to appear to run slowly. Tony from Klanghelm fixed the issue pretty quickly and was able to point me in the right direction. Conversations with Apple and Sonarworks didn't get me far. Tony pointed me to a post discussing switching my iMac's display color settings from "iMac" to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". This solved the problem instantly. What I have yet to determine is whether I know have to keep my computer on these color settings, or whether Apple or the third-party companies will fix the issue. The forum topics date back a little while ago, so this problem hasn't been fixed quickly.

Check out this JUCE forum here: https://forum.juce.com/t/slow-frame-rates-on-2017-macs/35813

This Gearslutz post also addresses the issue of Retina Macs. It seems to come to the same conclusion about the color setting being sRGB. One use also suggests an app called Display Menu for running the computer in non-HDPI resolution. Whatever that means: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/1200020-logic-sluggish-graphically.html

I am going to reach back out to apple, as well as the third-party companies, and will update here as I go. Please let me know if you have other ideas!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I sent a request to Sonarworks because of that problem 2 days ago! The Colour Profile change sorted that problem immediatly. THX

But I am not having the problem with Soundtoys Effect Rack with iMac-Profile, only when using SW Reference 4.

P.S.: I made a video of this bug just in case someone needs it

But I am not having the problem with Soundtoys Effect Rack with iMac-Profile, only when using SW Reference 4.

It's possible that my Effect Rack was not updated, and that was the problem there. I thought I had checked that a couple of times, but have since decided Soundtoys could be more clear with what the most current version is.

Glad that helped though! Please let me know if you find out more info.

• 2 months later...