Logic applies follow tempo to all audio files even though Smart Tempo project settings are fully disabled.

dnbhallifax

I've been having some really odd behavior in logic lately. In the past week I noticed that every time I drag in an audio clip Follow Tempo is turned on. This happens to all files, I'm using wav only, 44.1 and 48k. One shot or loop doesn't matter, Logic is time stretching everything I bring in even though it shouldn't be.

I've checked my Smart Tempo project settings, they are:

Follow Tempo: KEEP

Set new files to, and Set imported audio files to are both set to OFF.

Also, Flex & Follow are disabled in my default audio track settings.

Finally, no transposition has been applied, I'm simply attempting to pull in percussion one-shots and line them up to the grid, un-pitched and exactly as is...

See attached to confirm my smart tempo and flex follow inspector settings.

As far as I know Logic should just be pulling in audio files raw, un-stretched.

Has anyone else seen this, and/or is there a new preference in 10.5.1 that perhaps I'm not aware of?

(FYI I'm not using Live loops... Just using Logic as I always have, as a linear editor...)

MuRn7Xg.png

Thanks JakobP... It is checked. I always get a message to convert if I import 44.1 into a 48k session or vice versa... I'm also familiar with the behavior where Logic used to playback audio samples with different sample rates pitched differently... Either way I just checked and it is setup that way.

This is really weird. I kind of wonder if it's a bug related to Live loops. Even though I'm not using it I have screen set #2 locked to Live Loops view in case I wanted to. I'll see what happens when I unlock that screen set and toggle it off.. Can't say I'm too hopeful, I've seen a lot of weird little bugs in 10.5./10.5.1 :-/

Thanks again for the suggestion..

So closing Live loops in the screen set has no affect as expected. Logic is stretching anything I drag in from Finder. I've even checked the Apple Loop browser settings, with everything set to original tempo, original key, etc Logic still forces all imported audio into Flex & Follow.

You can see the behavior, and see my settings to confirm this should be disabled in the video linked below...

https://imgur.com/TqrNoel.mp4

I don't have a solution, just a +1 to say I've experienced this too. I haven't been able to identify what exactly makes this happen, but a pattern for me is that this happens in projects with lots of flexed regions. Multiple times in the last year I've had projects where at some point, and from that point until forever, every single audiofile (including files that never before has been near Logic) will be force-flexed upon dragging into Logic, also on audiotracks where flex is disabled. If I drag it into the empty area below tracks, the new track will be auto-flexed, which isn't expected behaviour. If I start a new project, the very same audiofile will NOT be forceflexed.

It's not massively critical, it happens perhaps in a few percent of my projects, and generally for me its a quick key command to turn flex off. I've shrugged this off as a freak bug that I can deal with until they fix it. It's not stopping me, but it can get very irritating when adding very long files that certainly should not be flexed, and have to wait for the unneeded transient scanning.

Thanks. That's the crazy part. I've even tried starting from a fully empty project using Logic's 'empty project' template. I tried this several times throughout the evening yesterday and the behavior was the same each time, every audio file pulled in was set to follow tempo even though I was using a fully initialized template.

Unfortunately I'm pretty deep into a project for a trailer label with a delivery date so this is more than a minor inconvenience for me. It's actually making it quite difficult to finish the project in as quick a manner as possible...

I totally get your frustration. Was this the same Logic session (app open all the time)? I have a vague memory of experiencing something similar, that if it started behaving like that in one project, the behaviour carried on to the next one (and then "infected" that project), but not if i completely quit Logic and restarted.

Only comfort I can offer - which you possibly already are aware of - is the key command to turn off flex for a region (or all selected regions), this way you can at least disable it with minimum hassle.