10.5.1 Sampler Key Labels not working

will3music

I have followed the instructions (from the manual) to create and save a set of key labels for a sampler instrument. I followed this procedure:

1. Open instrument within Sampler

2. Under "Mapping", go to Edit > Edit Key Labels

3. Create key label set by clicking next to the relevant note and typing the desired names (Kick, Snare, Hi-Hat, etc)

4. Save Key Label Set As > type name of newly created key label set

The set is then saved, but when I close the Key Labels dialog box, nothing happens. The labels aren't showing on the piano roll, and I can't see them displayed anywhere in the mapping/zone window within the sampler itself.

I then re-open Edit > Edit Key Labels to find that the key label set has reverted to default, i.e. no key labels. My saved set is there in the drop down menu, so I select it; it loads into the Key Labels editor window, and everything is as I specified, no problem. However, again - nothing happens in the actual piano roll, there is nothing to suggest that the labels are actually being applied to the instrument, and when I close and re-open the dialog, the labels have reverted to default once again.

Strangely, I have a previous sample instrument made in EXS24 for which I made key labels, and these work: they show up in the piano roll, and when I go to Edit > Edit Key Labels, there they are in the dialog box (I have not had to "save" them, they are simply there from when I edited them in EXS24).

Anyone know what's going on here?

• 1 month later...
To rephrase will3music's question above: has anyone been able to actually use Sampler Key Labels? In the Piano Roll window, in Sampler itself, anywhere? Apple has a page explaining how to create, save, load and delete them, but the page mentions nothing about actually USING them ( https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/use-key-labels-lgcp64b833d4/mac ). Key Labels would be extremely useful if they actually worked...

Could a Mapped Instrument be used as a workaround for this issue?

Kinda, but that's quite a quirky workaround. Doesn't work in the Step Sequencer, requires to assign the track to the mapped instrument which means you lose quick Inspector access to the instrument's channel strip unless you create an additional track, and you would have to save individual mapped instruments for every individual key label set you want to use, and every time you want to use one you have to cable it into your instrument channel strip...