MIDI Export 12+ Semitones Issue

5oundcrafT

There is no transposition set that I am aware of. The track is fine in session but after exporting to a MIDI file and importing back into Logic just one of the guitar tracks are transposed. Global tracks transpose is at zero.

I just tried with a completely different session and the same thing is happening. When I imported the MIDI file back into Logic just one of the tracks (guitar track again) is bumped up 12 semitones. Weird.

Is there a setting I could be unaware of?

Here are the files. Thank you for your time and looking into this for me.

I'm building a library with multiple MIDI regions in one project to use to easily create music.

I downloaded a MIDI file off the net, loaded it up into Logic and it already has set default instruments; Drums, bass, two guitars. The bass track says (+12) on it so has been previously transposed I guess? (Note: the bass tracks is not the one that randomly transposes upon import). I've put my own Instruments on the tracks and now I want to export it to a MIDI file of my own so that I can import it back into my library project. Basically I want to just transfer the MIDI regions from one session to another regardless of the software that is assigned to it.

BUT!

How can I set the default instruments to load what I choose when importing? lol and if you could figure out why when importing "My MIDI file" into logic the second guitar track is transposed even though it is not in my active project that would be amazing.

Alex

My MIDI File.mid

Original MIDI File.mid

It appears to be a bug ( moving to the bug section as well).

The problem is not in the source material ( so saving a midi file seems to be working correctly)

1/ It works fine when importing ( holding down the option key) to External GM Tracks

2/ It does NOT work correctly when importing to SI - It transposes it up an octave

3/ default staff style in track header appears to have no affect

problem is also in 10.4.1 ( only other one I tested)

I recall some bug with automatic selection of a staff style ( in the track inspector in the arrange window) that wasn't working properly. I suspect they either didn't fix all aspects of it, fixed it and broke this piece or something else is going on.

So for now ( unless someone else can figure out why or a workaround) you you will have to correct the transposition error on import)

I have found a number of bugs and/or short comings in LPX midi export. I ended up writing some scripts to work around it. This is definitely not easier to use then re-transposing your midi files after export, but in any case I offer it here in case its of any help to you or anybody.

Go to the following GitLab site to read about LogicGenCsv.js

https://gitlab.com/dewdman42/MainstageMidiPlayer/-/wikis/home

I also made a short video about how to use it (starting 45 seconds in):