Volume faders/levels not behaving as GROUP

skylark

Something I have --and I imagine everyone here has-- done countless times...

My volume levels are not operating in sync when I GROUP mixer channels.

I have a couple of faders I want to GROUP, I assign each fader to the same GROUP, move one fader, and the other does nothing. :shock:

Okay... To check things out, I OPEN GROUP SETTINGS, everything looks fine; the GROUPS are ACTIVE, the pertinent GROUP is ON, and in the SETTINGS area the VOLUME box is ticked. Simple.

Other functions --like SOLO and MUTE-- are behaving as expected, so... Why aren't my faders working in tandem?

Did my I just totally fall asleep on this or what?!??!

Edited by skylark

I'm not believing this... (I guess this has now ventured into the realm of off topic, but...)

I couldn't even attach a project!

I saved my project --to a folder, not a project-- and got ready to send, but... the Choose for Upload button remains grayed out...

so I tried dragging the file to message... it dragged --with a + sign-- but gave me this error message:

521847405_ScreenShot2020-11-23at09_16_43.png.a5e0a5988fa5363ffcfbfa7d84a0535d.png

when I made that message go away, some file names appeared in the ATTACHMENTS area, but they're a bunch of plist files; nothing I recognize from my project... (BTW... I've tried starting with new, blank projects with the same result... Yet it seems old projects are working fine...)

try re-assigning them to, say, 'group 1'; and/or unchecking then rechecking 'volume' in the group settings...

thanks for checking, fish... i had already done all that (and more) but --in the spirit of leaving no stone unturned-- i did it all again... nothing...

what's odd is that my older projects are behaving correctly... and after you said it worked for you i did a reset (unplug, wait, plug it back in) of my mac and... nada...

thanks again

something to do with that project then. try importing everything from that one to a 'virgin' project, see if it then works (or the problem carries over)...

That was a virgin template, fish... I saw that it was misbehaving with everything new, so I sent a blank project.. BUT!

Just as mysteriously as it had not worked... It ***just*** started working again. Here's my description of what happened.

As you had suggested, I tried creating and assigning new groups, with no success. Then after you wrote, I tried again. Same thing, no difference. I tried various modes of checking the PAN, MUTE, and VOLUME boxes... Nothing.

Then I tried MUTE, INPUT, and RECORD and... WORKING!!! Even when I revert to using only the VOLUME checkboxes... Everything is just working! (beats me!)

Thanks, fisherking... Thanks, David... Really appreciate the help!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I spoke too soon -- the bug is back. This one particular channel especially won't group. In fact, if I select it, hold shift, and select other tracks, then move 1 of those faders, everything moves except this one track. The is no automation, not CC commands, nothing else going on. V. annoying.

Also, if I select 10 channels in the Mix window then move one fader -- a random number of selected channels will also move. Intermittent weirdness. I just booted up with a new session and I do not use a template.

The uncheck and check automation fix no longer works.

I spoke too soon -- the bug is back. This one particular channel especially won't group. In fact, if I select it, hold shift, and select other tracks, then move 1 of those faders, everything moves except this one track. The is no automation, not CC commands, nothing else going on. V. annoying.

Also, if I select 10 channels in the Mix window then move one fader -- a random number of selected channels will also move. Intermittent weirdness. I just booted up with a new session and I do not use a template.

The uncheck and check automation fix no longer works.

Can you upload the file here? How to attach files to your post

• 1 year later...

Anyone get anywhere with this?  I'm having issues with groups not behaving properly (esp. fader levels), but the issue seems to come and go depending on which window/object I have selected when I enable/disable the group clutch.  The issues are difficult to replicate and seem intermittent, the groups are just buggy and it's finally ticked me off enough to enquire about it!

On a side note, undoing a fader level change on a track that belongs to a group snaps all fader levels for that group to the same value, even if they weren't at the same values before the change.  Probably a separate issue but possibly related...

Edited by ralphonz