Software Instruments Randomly Get switched out and CAN'T BE UNDONE!

Hello, I've been having this problem for a few months now: When I am working on other parts of my song (ex. recording and comping/ editing vocals, or guitar) my existing software instrument/ MIDI tracks are getting completely screwed up - the instruments are all changing into other instruments, and sometimes not even an instrument at all, but some sort of reverb channel (?? screenshot attached: you can see the picture is of a synth, because the track was a synth before, but now it says 4.7s prison main floor).

The worst part is it doesn't undo. I will be doing nothing different than what I had been doing for a session (just doing a 4th vocal take, say) and then all of a sudden I hear some weird synth where my drums should be sounding, and the same for my other 3-4 software instrument tracks active. The MIDI regions all stay as they are, so the performance is still there. I immediately start pressing undo and the tracks won't change back, but things I did before the tracks changed WILL get undone, so it seems Logic is not even tracking these as undo-able steps.

I've learned to just save all my synth settings as new presets, whereas before I just expected them to save with the rest of the project. So at least now I can recover the exact sound with some effort, but it is still very frustrating. I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.6, and Logic Pro 10.6.0

Anybody else ever have this problem? Any suggestions or help is appreciated. Seems like a bug. I remember it happening before, several months ago, but now it seems to happen more often.

Thank You!

538084939_ScreenShot2021-05-08at7_33_42PM.png.f319f98f477b5e7f9d7b094e1c06ee73.png

my existing software instrument/ MIDI tracks are getting completely screwed up - the instruments are all changing into other instruments, and sometimes not even an instrument at all, but some sort of reverb channel

What you describe is a known bug when opening multiple Logic projects at once, which I recommend one never does when working in Logic Pro.

my existing software instrument/ MIDI tracks are getting completely screwed up - the instruments are all changing into other instruments, and sometimes not even an instrument at all, but some sort of reverb channel

What you describe is a known bug when opening multiple Logic projects at once, which I recommend one never does when working in Logic Pro.

Do you know if there's a hot key to switch out instruments.

I've come across this issue but I know it's because I'm doing a certain key command the wrong way because of fat/lazy fingers.

If there is a hot key for this, then I can just disable that. :mrgreen:

I deal with a lot with Channel Strip settings, maybe the hot key is associated with that.

I've come across this issue but I know it's because I'm doing a certain key command the wrong way because of fat/lazy fingers.

I deal with a lot with Channel Strip settings, maybe the hot key is associated with that.

There's Previous (and Next) Patch, Plug-in Setting or Sampler Instrument, which are by default assigned to [ and ]

There's Previous (and Next) Patch, Plug-in Setting or Sampler Instrument, which are by default assigned to [ and ]

Ha, I think that's it because ] is so close to the return key.

Thanks for that info.

Thanks David, good to know! Yes I never have 2 open at once unless I am copying, which I hadn't been doing for this project or really at all lately. After reading what JakobP linked, I think it is that, because I notice my project has 2 of the stereo out strips in the mixer :shock:

And I have done a lot of unpackinging and repacking take folders, so I bet I did an undo or 2 right after and maybe that's what's been happening. Cheers!

If you're using the undo command to undo automatically created tracks, you could also have been bitten by this bug:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=156676

When this happens, I believe the only way to rescue the project is to revert to the last save prior to the undo...

YIKES I think this is it.. because in the mixer window I notice I now have 2 stereo output strips. (screenshot attached).

This would only happen if something has gone wrong right?

In this case, since it probably happened 2 weeks ago or so when I first encountered the bug in this particular project, reverting to the last save prior to the bug is not really an option. For future reference though, how would I do that?

AND for salvaging this particular project, do I want to just copy the tracks I do need into a new blank project? Or does it even matter once I have manually reloaded all the correct patches? (in other words - the project still seemingly works fine now that I've switched the instruments back, should I be worried about the fact that there are 2 stereo output strips? Or just continue working and ignore?) Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks JakobP for bringing this bug to my attention!! Cheers.

2060841441_ScreenShot2021-05-11at1_28_25AM.thumb.png.aa87f4b059809f93d45b23e3a752396e.png

I'm not sure if a project suffering this bug can be rebuilt, never tried it, but I suspect it could be beyond rescue... I recommend doing frequent saves and never use undo when automatic track creation is involved... You could try the "File>Import>Logic Project..." function from a new empty template to fix your project, hopefully that works...

EDIT Oh, and reverting to earlier saved project versions go File>Revert to :)

I'm not sure if a project suffering this bug can be rebuilt, never tried it, but I suspect it could be beyond rescue... I recommend doing frequent saves and never use undo when automatic track creation is involved... You could try the "File>Import>Logic Project..." function from a new empty template to fix your project, hopefully that works...

EDIT Oh, and reverting to earlier saved project versions go File>Revert to :)

Okay thank you! Will try "File>Import>Logic Project..." later this week. I Appreciate the help!!! :) Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got linked to this chain after a similar issue.. I am a bit unclear on whether perhaps this could be prevented in the future by disabling a certain key command that may be triggering the problem by accident.. Is that possible?