Plugins on unrelated tracks cause massive latency for MIDI instruments

Mechanica

I'm still trying to work out exactly what's happening here, but this is the closest I've come to having a clear view of a problem that has plagued me with Logic for a while: sometimes an arbitrary plug-in somewhere inside a project will cause roughly a 16th note or more of latency in all MIDI notes played via controller, unless low latency mode is activated. There seems to be complex interaction taking place, because if I delete enough tracks (that don't contain the offending plugin), the latency will clear up. Or, if I just remove the one problem plugin, I can have as many tracks as I want with no issue.

For example, I'm working on a project with many instances of different relatively power hungry synths and samplers (Diva, Kontakt, etc.), having no latency issues. Then I add an audio track with an instance of Waves UltraPitch and I have a 16th note of latency on all MIDI input (notes anyway, not sure about other MIDI data). This seems wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

-M.

This is perfectly normal if you have Plugin Latency Compensation set to All and you have any latency-inducing plugin anywhere, because now two things are happening:

1. You told the machine to wait until everything is ready and calculated before it gets out, making sure all audio streams, plugins or not, are in sync. And it will.

2. You're using a plugin anywhere that's working with significant latency. This is not so much a case of high CPU load, but much more if the plugin uses some form of lookahead to integrate some numbers over time.

You can get around this by:

- Using Low Latency Mode, but at the cost of losing the hi-latency-plugins as long as LLM is active.

- Setting Plugin Latency Compensation to Off but at the cost of audio streams getting out of sync which can cause phasing and/or unlocked grooves and/or misplaced recordings.

- Not touching any hi-latency plugins like AdLim or LinEQ until you're really done recording.