Song playing outside of cycle area

Dynamic_Notes

Not easy to reproduce or capture or describe, but its happened to me on the odd occasion and recently did so twice. Not exactly sure what triggers it but Im guessing it's because I was moving a region or the cycle area around while the transport was running and the playhead maybe was near the cycle boundary.

I was able to get a screenrecording as I assumed if I stopped Logic's transport or altered the cycle area Id probably miss my chance. The first time this happened Logics transport stopped because it got to the Song end marker before I could set things up. So to illustrate this glitch, while Logic was running, I made sure there was nothing in the cycle area for the drummer track. I put a region to the right of and just outside the cycle area, then instantiated some loops on it. I included the Drummer channelstrip to show audio activity even though theres no region to play. To make the clip smaller I started the capture at the END of the cycle to show it does actually return to the beginning of the cycle. (Ive had other playhead weirdness where the opposite happens where its carried on playing and showing itself to play past a cycle end.)

What I haven't been able to show is while I set up a float window of the Drummer Channelstrip I assumed Logic mustve gone past the loops as the sound stopped as Logic's transport was still running. Simply extending the loops I got sound again.

1365166019_Soundwithnoregion.thumb.gif.9f835020cc3a76728011f302ecafa602.gif

Thankyou for your reply Atlas. I didn't notice the diagonal pattern so heres what I did:

- looked around my system for older screenshots since I updated my whole system (mid 2019) to see if this pattern was present I found a screenshot from 2019 and one from 2020

- I started up a fresh Logic in a separate user account and the same pattern is there. It is only there whenever the cycle is enabled whether the transport is active or not.

I see you're on same Logic version so it cant be that. Not sure if this oddity is related or not so I'll post some screenshots on Logic area and see if anyone else has this. Other than that, do you have any ideas what could cause either of these strange behaviours?

Hi David

Sorry for the late reply - I went to post something late last night and it went into cyberland and I got somehow logged out.

You would know way more than me but I don't think this is Project specific - though it happened twice in a day I cant remember if it was the same project. Also whenever this has happened I've never been able to get it to repeat itself and projects seem to have been OK after that. To reproduce, its dependant on starting the transport again. What would be more beneficial is if I could figure out exactly what I did to trigger it. Not easy when you've done any number of steps before you realize theres a glitch going on as was the case here.

I had to do some very quick thinking to set something up to get a screen recording and the drummer track (which I wasn't using) was the easiest candidate so the gif doesn't accurately show what the project looked like before the glitch happened. It was just a very small scratch session trying out some NI plugins. If/when this happens again, and if you have any ideas to more accurately or fully screengrab this behaviour I'd be keen to give it a go.

Thanks!