Relative automation causing fader level to jump to -6dB

ralphonz

Hi Folks,

I'm adding automation to a mix - more or less the final stage - but in order to maintain fader control I'm using relative volume automation.

When I go to automate the relative level, on certain audio tracks adding relative automation is causing the fader to jump to -6dB no matter where it was previously set. To make matters worse, undo is not returning the volume level to the previously (and very carefully selected) level!

This is quickly turning into a complete nightmare, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues when using relative volume automation?

I think I figured out why this happens. I'm going to post here in case it helps someone else out. Im also a little frazzled by the whole thing though too, so if someone could verify this that'd be great.

In short, you need to have a standard absolute volume automation line in the non-relative lane before you write any relative automation. If you don't and attempt to draw in relative automation logic will put the line in for you at -6dB, rather than at the value the volume currently has.

I believe this to be a bug as it's hard to see how this could be helpful. If you have not drawn in any volume automation, this line should be automatically drawn at the current volume level when you add a relative automation node, not at the arbitrary value of -6!

The screenshot below should clarify. You can see some relative automation drawn in for the trumpet parts. Behind that you can see a darker yellow line which is straight. This is the fader level.

Looking at the channel above labeled EFX RV you can see the volume automation lane which is greyed out because no automation has been written. You can see that the volume is set to -5.3dB. Basically you must click this lane so that the line becomes a solid yellow BEFORE writing any relative volume automation. If you do not logic will set this line to -6dB rather than -5.3dB, spoiling your mix!

97410317_Screenshot2021-10-14at11_08_25.thumb.png.3d57715accb062021c7b78eb0db6e5cc.png

Ok I had a quick look and it appears it's a bug I would agree indeed. It's as if when you don't have any absolute volume automation, it reads the relative automation as absolute. Only relative automation does not have the same reference as absolute.

When the relative fader is on 0, that matches the position of the absolute volume fader being on -6 dB, so if your relative fader is on 0 and you don't have any absolute automation then -6 dB becomes the value that is read.

Curiously, Option-clicking the fader while in Relative mode brings the fader to +4.7 dB which is indeed read as 0 dB when no absolute volume automation is present.

I also find the gain display to be buggy in relative mode and to often display absolute instead of relative which can be quite confusing.

So yes, it's quite buggy. Thank you for pointing it out!

(for all the good it'll do)

No no it does a whole lot of good actually. I know it's frustrating because you never (or rarely) get any answer back, and many times the bugs end up not being fixed. But you'd be surprised how many times they get a report and fix the bug right away for the next release, or log it in and fix it later, or wait to hear about the same bug a few times before it becomes a priority because it takes a little longer to fix... but at least it makes them aware than one more person has encountered the bug. Anyway, it is definitely useful, don't despair. :)

I will also report it on my end.

Also don't hesitate to link to this thread in your report.