BUG: "Can't change hidden object error" in environment

jculp3

After working a bit in the environment (in this case I was creating multi-instruments), I would try to change ANY parameter of ANY environment object with the inspector and I get the error message "Can't change hidden object" and it won't let me change any parameter. This isn't happening on a brand new empty project, but it is happening on my autoload that I ported over from 9.1.8. I even tried opening a new empty project and then importing my autoload environment - same thing happens. Anybody else having this issue? I've modified my autoload slightly to work with Logic X and I've already completed a couple projects with it, and then I run into this issue - which is not cool. It basically is making the environment unusable to me in Logic Pro X.

I am using Logic 10.0.1 on a 2.7 i7 MBP retina with 16gb ram OS 10.8.4

There have been reports about custom environments that don't work correctly from 9 to X.

Disconnected Environment Cables after Layer Import in LX

Autoload are things of the passed and was deprecated in Logic 8.

Create a new template from scratch and copy & paste the specific environment routings that you need from your old template instead.

Well, It's not technically an "autoload", it's just a template/Logic project that I use everytime I start a new song. I don't think I ever really had an autoload. When you got 10, did you start from scratch on the template?? Did you use "import" environment? Man I have A LOT of cablings, anyway to streamline the "starting from scratch" thing. Thank you for the response.

I'm having similar behavior and getting that same error message. Just trying to set the port on a brand new instrument generates the message. Actually, I've gotten two different messages while trying to change object parameters in the Environment:

500755782_cantchangehiddenobject.png.6aa5785021135faf1533f7edddddd9b3.png

1044223226_notallobjecttypesdomatch.png.9914796539ce5d128d9c781e9fb234fb.png

Today has been pretty frustrating. I've been trying to redo my whole session per what Eric said to do by cutting and pasting the environment objects from my template that I used in 9.1.8 to 10.0.1. At first I was hopefull, but about 1/2 way into rebuilding my template from scratch, I'm getting the same error as before "Can't change hidden object" along with the new one that you are also getting "not all object types do match". I was getting the "not all object types do match" when I was trying to make a monitor object assignable. It is intermittent because some times when I close and reopen Logic, it works for awhile and then usually reverts back to those two error messages while trying to work in the environment.

• 2 weeks later...
Apple emailed yesterday about the feedback I had sent about this issue. They wanted me to send them a Logic file of mine since they weren't able to reproduce the issue. Since my last email I've tried deleting Logic preferences and doing a disk utility repair. Still getting the "Can't change hidden object" error. I get it ALL the time now, not just intermittently. hopefully Apple can sort this out.

• 1 month later...
Same issue for me. Emailed a bug report yesterday. This renders the Environment useless for the most part. Imac 2011 3.4ghz i7, 16gb ram, Logic 10.0.3, Osx 10.8.4. I'm also running a Livid Code and a Korg padKontrol. Sometimes creating a new Environment layer will let me temporarily create a useable, non-"hidden" object, but that object will always quickly end up becoming "hidden" and un-editable. I also had Logic crash when renaming a newly-created Environment layer (while in the midst of an attempt to circumvent this whole nonsense), which i also reported.

• 10 months later...
Atlas007, let me clarify. All objects are perfectly visible, but when I try to edit any of them an alert pops up on screen saying "Can't change hidden object", (see attachment)

This is a know bug but it's rendered my environment un-editable and it's driving me crazy.

Yeah, this happens in particular when you've got more than one environment window open. Try closing all environment windows (even if it's just one) and then open a fresh window. See if that solves the problem.

If not, move to an empty screenset and see if you get the same problem in the environment window.

I had some similar errors when trying to change my environment. (Logic 8) Apparently my template file was somehow corrupted. Anything started with my standard template would have these environment errors. For me, Reorganizing the memory seemed to fix it. Logic does some structural maintenance of the session file when it reorganizes the memory. My errors seemed to disappear. After that I saved over the old template. Seems good to go thus far. I'll post the relevant manual pages below.

Best,

Sam

I had a template get corrupted. Every time I created a new song I would get the same error as you when trying to alter my environment. Using the "Reorganize Memory" feature in Logic seemed to cured it. Afterwards I saved OVER the old template. I'll post the relevant info from the manual.

Best,

Sam

Checking and Repairing Projects

On occasion, you may need to know how many regions are in a project, how much memory is being used, and so on. This data is available in the Project Information window. Very rarely, a project may become corrupted due to driver or memory conflicts, or may feel sluggish. Should any corruptions occur, a warning message will advise you of the existence and nature of the problem. These problems can generally be rectified in the Project Information window.

To open the Project Information window:

Choose Options > Project Information.

The Project Information window also provides the Reorganize Memory function which allows you to increase the amount of free memory, and to rectify a number of potential project corruptions or problems.

To reconfigure the memory:

Click the Reorganize Memory button in the Project Information window. At the same time, the current project will be checked for any signs of damage, structural problems, and unused blocks. If any unused blocks are found—which normally shouldn’t happen—you will be able to remove these, and repair the project.

Note: This reorganization is also carried out automatically after saving or loading a project. A common (and good) use of this feature is to free up memory after closing a project, if two or more projects were open prior to the close operation.