A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

DGB111
Topic Author

Scripted LFO instead of using "Modulator" MIDI FX?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 am

I love using the modulator to warp sounds, but the only problem I find is that the LFO is set to some internal clock, instead of being aligned to a beat. Even if you have the "Rate" set at 1/4, the timing is a quarter note, but when you hit the transport it starts wherever the LFO is in its waveform, so one time it may be all the way at the top, then the next time it may be all the way at the bottom, so if you want the loud part of the modulation always to be on the beat it's impossible. In Kontakt it's easy because you can always set what part of the wave it should start on (not sure why that's not an option in LPX, or am I missing it?!?!)

Anyway, is there a way to script this so you can get LFOs that can be set to the beat and always start where you want?

Thanks!

Eric Cardenas

Re: Scripted LFO instead of using "Modulator" MIDI FX?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Open the extended parameters and enable Env Sync.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.12.6
Logic Pro 10.4 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube

DGB111
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks Eric! The only thing that's missing is that always starts you in the middle of the waveform, so its impossible (as far as I can tell) to start at the top or bottom of a sine wave LFO (without tweaking the shape until it's not a sine anymore). Do you know if there's a way to set where it starts in the waveform, or are we just locked into the beat = the middle? And if there isn't a way, is there a way to script it?

Thanks!!!!

Dewdman42

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes you can write a script to do it, but I don't have time to work out the math for you. In order to plot a sine wave in Scripter use the Math.sin() function. You'll have to figure out the rest of the math so that it has the amplitude you want, the frequency you want and starts 90 degrees into the cycle... then just generate a CC event that is scaled appropriately. If I were going to write it I would just plot a CC event for every call to ProcessMIDI(), using the start beat number.
MBP i7 2.66ghz, MacPro 3.3ghzx12, OSX 10.12, Logic Pro 10, Mainstage3, too many plugins to list

DGB111
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am

Dewdman42 wrote:
Yes you can write a script to do it, but I don't have time to work out the math for you. In order to plot a sine wave in Scripter use the Math.sin() function. You'll have to figure out the rest of the math so that it has the amplitude you want, the frequency you want and starts 90 degrees into the cycle... then just generate a CC event that is scaled appropriately. If I were going to write it I would just plot a CC event for every call to ProcessMIDI(), using the start beat number.

Thanks! I'll take a stab at it when I get a chance!!!