REQ: a script for "strumming" chords

funkfly

I may be overlooking something, but I am looking for a way to be able to strum chords, either up or down, and have a simple knob that controls the strumming speed.

I couldn't find anyway to do it, and it seems logical to me that the scripter will face this task rather easily. Alas, I'm not really a code person myself.

Will anyone rise up to the challenge...?

You can (to an extent) do this with the Arpeggiator, if you know the number of notes you're playing. Click Grid, click to create bars on steps 1, 2, 3 etc... for the number of notes you want, and adjust the length of the pattern to be long enough so that the arpeggiator does not repeat itself. You can adjust the strumming direction with the arrow buttons.

• 2 months later...

i'll be looking into something like this when i buy Logic

what i want to do is:

* lower octave picks from a set of predefined chord types (eg C1 = Major, C#1 = Minor, D1 = Maj7 etc)

* single notes in the upper keyboard octave play & transpose that chord (ie if you press C1 to select major then press D3 you'll get D3 major)

* timing slider for strumming between notes.

It looks like it'd be doable with the Scripter. I'd try make it simple enough that you can edit the code and define your own chords at the top eg:

chords[0] = [0,4,7]; // minor

chords[1] = [0,3,7]; // major

chords[2] = [0,3,7,9];

now I'm not musical but i built something like this before (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76426) in Synthedit. I don't even know if i've got the code anymore, so I'll have to look up all the chord definitions again, but I don't think it would take too long to write the basic javascript

once I understand the language better I would probably be able to add features like manually hitting the actual chord notes on the lower end (without making a sound) to set a specific chord into "memory" and then transpose at top end as usual

open to feature suggestions. but worth noting that the UI is limited and I don't know if you can do any file manipulation like saving out configs etc to a text file.. I'm guessing not.. the JS API isn't that well documented in the manual and there don't seem to be any other resources.

achievable features would be things like random timing & velocity variation on the strummed notes.

again I'm just looking at the examples online for reference. Not got my hands dirty with the software yet!

I don't yet know how it deals with multiple incoming notes but yes all that sounds doable if you look at the manual examples. Here he takes a note and then plays it again one octave higher , 100ms later

---

function HandleMIDI(event) {

event.send();

if (event instanceof Note) {

event.pitch += 12;

event.sendAfterMilliseconds(100); // send after delay

// send original event

// if it's a note

// transpose up one octave

} }

---

The code is easy enough (for me), dealing with issues like stuck notes is where you have to be careful (ie forgetting to process the note off from a previous event)

• 1 year later...

If someone is doing a script like this, I would like to come with a suggestion.

I have been looking for a good way to do harp strums/glissandos... one where I can set the chord/scale manually through midi, and then control the strum speed(playing harp it is often natural to start the strum slow, then speed it up, and then end the strum slowly). Could be nice to do this with an lfo, or just a knob that could be automated.

If someone is doing a script like this, I would like to come with a suggestion.

I have been looking for a good way to do harp strums/glissandos... one where I can set the chord/scale manually through midi, and then control the strum speed(playing harp it is often natural to start the strum slow, then speed it up, and then end the strum slowly). Could be nice to do this with an lfo, or just a knob that could be automated.

I am tempted to take this on. Have some framework in place already.

More suggestions for the harp script are welcome.

How would the acceleration be optimal to sound humanesque?

Linear or more complex? Could you write it out in terms like for ex.

|First 25% 10% accelerando| Mid 50% 15% accelerando| Remainder 20% dim|