Free MIDI mapper plugin mainly for drums but with other uses

Fleabag

I wrote this script in response to the original request by Kim in http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112815.

madParrott Drum Mapper is a script for the Logic X MIDI Scripter plugin. It is a MIDI note mapper intended to allow each successive hit from a drum pad to play one of a set of drum sounds at random. The script uses "mappings”. Each mapping consists of a trigger note, a set of target notes and a mode ("Random", "Random (No Repeat)" or "Round Robin"). For example, a mapping could be used to trigger several different cymbal sounds at random from one cymbal pad. 

By default, the plugin is configured to give two mappings, each with up to three target notes, but by a simple script change the user can set up the plugin to have many mappings, for example three mappings each with up to six target notes. If a mapping does not need to use all of the target notes, then unused ones can be left set to -1 which means they will be ignored.

If more than one mapping has the same trigger note then each of those mappings is applied simultaneously when the trigger note is received. For example a snare drum and a tambourine could be stacked together, triggered from one pad. Taking this to an extreme, a set of mappings could be used to trigger a synth to play chords from one trigger note, and in "Round Robin" mode this could even be used to create a simple step sequencer.

A manual is provided, which has instructions on how to install and use the script.

Free for all to use. Enjoy...

Regards

Fleabag

madParrott Drum Mapper v1.0.3.zip

Saves me a ton of midiediting

The thought did occur to me that of course every time you play your track, you get a different set of random hits so the song may sound very different each time. If this is a problem, I remember seeing someone else has written a MIDI freeze/recorder script, maybe this could be inserted after my script to capture performances so you can tweak them to perfection, after which you would disable my script for mixing.