MIDI script - note/sustain off, break external MIDI loop

zplane

Sorry that I posted this in the wrong place, but here is the link,

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125538

Hopefully also useful to people who may not have external synths but still want to send note off, and/or sustain off (control) messages on all MIDI channels (when the transport stops), e.g., you don't need to worry about stopping playback of MIDI tracks in the middle of note sustains. And as I said, beware of having too many trace statements send output to the console, as it apparently has some bandwidth limitations (comment out trace statements when you are done debugging).

- zplane

Hey zplane,

Just a comment about... comments :) You probably noticed this if you've been scripting for a while, but they've cut back on the amount of data that can be displayed in one shot compared to earlier versions of Logic. By all appearances they've limited it to a maximum of 16 lines at once. It used to be more than that.

Hello Ski,

Thanks for letting me know the javascript console used to provide more trace output; it can be confusing not to see all the expected output after the limit is exceeded. Maybe Apple should add a "debug" mode that would allow unlimited output, and then call the current mode with limited output "run" or "production".

I'd be interested to know if you (or other posters) have found a way to test if (the) Logic (transport) is in record mode. I have not found a way yet to do this and have asked apple to add an .recording to test (like the current .playing).

- rob

Record? No. I'm only familiar with how to test if the transport is running or not. But I'm thinking what you really need is just some kind of trigger that could put Logic into record and have a Script detect that too. For example... and this is just off the top of my head...

Let's say you had a button on your controller that could be programmed to output two MIDI messages simultaneously. Let's just say CC#68 and #69. You'd program Logic's Controller Assignments to go into record with CC#68 from external MIDI (i.e., learn Record or Record Toggle to CC#68). Because it's learned, Logic's going to hijack that MIDI event as it enters Logic. So it'll never appear at the Physical Input, and you won't be able to detect it in the Environment. However, if that button also generated CC#69, Logic would see that message, and a Script programmed to detect it could then instigate whatever action you had in mind.

Another way to do this would be to have an Environment button that outputs just a single MIDI message, say, CC#68. You'd cable that directly to the channel strip hosting the Scripter, but also send it out of an IAC bus. That bus, by default, will return that message back to Logic where it can then be hijacked to the Record button learned to CC#68, and initiate recording. Thus, your record button would be this environment button you create.

Again, that's just off the top of my head, but perhaps worth a try! :)