Scripter to Key Lock?

Hey guys,

I'm a new user studying music production at university, currently in the process of doing my dissertation and practical project. While I am aware of several ways to lock the midi being played in either via external keyboard or entered into the piano roll manually to a specific key, I was wondering if there was any way of doing this with the Scripter plugin?

The reason for this is that I intend to create a series of scripts using key locking features, for users intending to create electronic dance music genres that can aid to their creativity in some way. For those who are not so good at music theory they may not know what keys are, or even how to chose the right one for the type of track they are working on, research shows that for Dubstep and Trap, F Minor seems to be a very popular key, whereas G# Major is quite unpopular. Obviously this is not always the case however.

The other side to this is to not include what keys or specifically in some cases custom keys and notes are being used and that no matter what is played, in theory it should work for that genre. That way they can just load up the script and give it a go.

I've seen in a few places that you can transpose from the note being played, up or down in pitch by a certain number of semitones, or even add extra notes in the same way. BUT, is there a way for example to change a black not to the nearest white note, to effectively create a C Major scale lock? And then from this make other scale/key locks like F Minor, where entering an E would instead play the nearest correct note, in this case an F or an E flat?

Thanks in advance!

Changes which a Script makes to notes it receives will not be reflected in the recorded MIDI parts. Scripts only process MIDI on their way to a plugin and the results can't/won't be recorded. So while you can use a Script to modify notes on the way to a plugin, the actual notes in the MIDI regions (the actual recordings) may be different.

BTW, you can already do note remapping using the MIDI FX Chord Trigger. You don't need a Script, just a bit of time programming the output notes in response to the input notes. But like Scripts, the results can't be recorded.

Now, "can't be recorded" means that there's no direct method in Logic to "render" the output of a MIDI FX plugin on a track. It is technically possible to do make that happen, but not directly.

• 4 months later...

My 2 cents, ski is spot on though.

I have written three scripts so far that included some sort of lock to key function.

You have one more thing to take into consideration. What to do with out of key notes and how to determine if a note is intentional or just a screw up while playing.

A) Transpose up

B) Transpose down

C) Ignore completely

The most interesting solution I came up with is 

D) transposing everything to the white keys on the piano.

So whatever key/mode or even scale is chosen it is always spread out across the white keys with a predefined hub note (C3 or something). Black keys are always silent. This is pretty amazing as a creative tool. I play melodies and progressions I probably would never have thought of/reached on a standard keyboard. I got this idea from the Logic Remote app on iPad btw. :D

Good luck with your scripting.