Scripter code

huwhill

I have a Scripter script that generates pitch patterns.  The problem is every time I stop and re-start the playhead, Scripter continues to generate output from where it was stopped (i.e. mid-pattern), even if the playhead is at the beginning of my arrangement.  Whereas I'd like the generated patterns to start from the beginning of their cycle every time I press play, so that every time I press play this triggers Scripter to start generating a new pattern from the beginning.  Is there a simple piece of code I need to tweak to do this?

Many thanks.

H

Yes, you can use Reset() to reset variables.

You can also specifically detect when the transport is started and stopped, but it requires a more complicated approach. 

Here's a typical example of how to implement Reset( )....

Reset( ) // start your code by calling this function 

// Next come Global Variables

var firstPitch = 36;

// etc...

function HandleMIDI..... // goes here

// within this code, firstPitch gets changed as you output your pattern

// end of HandleMIDI code

function Reset( ) {    // declare this function here, which is coded to reset the variable

firstPitch = 36;

}

Edited by ski

• 6 months later...
You can also specifically detect when the transport is started and stopped, but it requires a more complicated approach. 

Hey Ski, I'd like to find out more about that if you've got the time. I'm finding Reset to be a very strangely implemented callback ( or I'm just not getting it).

Reset() is invoked when Scripter is bypassed

Reset() is invoked when playback starts

EDIT: 

Reset() is also invoked when playback starts and Scripter is bypassed

... yet there is no 'default state' as a script can be run when Scripter is either bypassed or not and there is no global scope condition to refer to that I can see.

Are you using a variable to set an initial state then updating it with each call to Reset or correlating it with TimingInfo??