A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

GtrJazz

Re: Composer Tools Pro Recall Script

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am

So can anyone confirm auto recall works with composer tools pro using bidule?

GtrJazz

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:53 pm

Does anyone have that Bidule file they can upload? I tried creating it but have had no luck. Much appreciated.

studioj

Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 pm

bpford wrote:
Hey Dewdman,

Thanks for turning me onto Bidule. I got it stuck in my head after I discovered it's capabilities, that it would be better if I could do this process with just one midi plugin (bidule), instead of 2 (bidule, my script). So this is what I built in Bidule and it seems to work like it should.

I haven't bought the full version of Bidule yet, so I'm not 100% positive it would work within Logic, but I can't see why it wouldn't.

Ah, of course! I had a thread about CTP recall and Logic going last year and we couldn't really find a method since Scripter does not allow MIDI out per port. But Bidule yes! I have been using Bidule (bought a license circa 2010 i think) on and off for a decade and forgot that it can be used as a plugin. I will try your method, thanks for posting the screenshot. How is it working out?

studioj

Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:21 pm

I got this to work successfully using the script posted in the OP, and using Bidule in the second insert MIDI fx slot, simply passing the filtered cc119 on to the lemur port. Very cool! I am interested in seeing how you did the entire conversion in Bidule though, effectively removing Scripter from the equation... I'm unfortunately not quite crafty enough in Bidule to figure that out yet. How do you create the Recall Trigger module and various input values for the PC and MIDI channel building blocks? I was hoping I could use the MIDI Kinetics plugin within bidule plugin, which you can, but the MIDI Kinetics plug doesn't have a "MIDI out"... I guess because it functions on an Instrument track within Cubase / Pro Tools / DP, etc, where the MIDI out routing is set by the track. Perhaps MIDI kinetics can make a new plugin that will work inside of Bidule for Logic to simplify this for all. Thanks for any input!

studioj

Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:27 pm

The hangup with this setup is that it looks like only ONE instance of bidule MIDI plugin can access the Lemur port at any given time... as soon as you open the layout on a different channel in Logic, the Lemur IO goes RED, and is not accessible. damn.

studioj

Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 pm

I was able to get this to work across multiple tracks by using a virtual MIDI port within the bidule plugin and then using Bidule standalone to pass the MIDI from the virtual ports to the lemur port. It seems there is probably a slicker way to do this using MIDI Kinetics own recall plugin, but I haven't figured that out yet.

studioj

Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:
Very interesting way to avoid Scripter and it goes to show that Bidule in general is capable of doing some interesting midi transforms. Myself I find it easier to read and understand Javascript, but this is cool and since it gives you some sliders and stuff might be easier to tweak for each channel as you go... I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work in logic either.

@dewdman42 - of course I had only been testing this with the iPad controller and not whether it was actually passing MIDI data/ notes through to the track. That initial script that the OP posted seems to keep MIDI data from moving through the track in Logic when it is enabled. How would you modify the script to make sure all MIDI gets passed along to the track / instrument? i can use bidule to keep the program change/channel going through to Lemur only. Thanks!

Dewdman42

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:46 pm

try this:

/*Script that transforms control change 119 into a program change 
with user definable channel number and program change number and filter all other midi events
*/
var PluginParameters = [
{       name: "Channel",
        type: "valueStrings",
        defaultValue: 1,
        minValue: 1,
        maxValue: 16,
        numberOfSteps: 15},
{       name: "Program #",
        type: "valueStrings",
        defaultValue: 0,
        minValue: 0,
        maxValue: 127,
        numberOfSteps: 127
}];

function HandleMIDI(recall) {
    if (recall instanceof ControlChange && recall.number == 119) {
        var p = new ProgramChange; //generates program change message and saves as "p"
        var prog = GetParameter("Program #") //retrieves program number from user input and saves to "prog"
        var chan = GetParameter("Channel") //retrieves channel number from user input and saves to "chan"
        p.channel = chan //sets program change to "prog"
        p.number = prog //sets program change channel to "chan"
        recall.trace(); //filters out all other midi messages
        p.send(); //sends out only channel and program change #
    }
    else {
        recall.send();
    }
}
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram

Dewdman42

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm

ps - I don't know why the forum appears to be incorrectly formatting some CODE blocks sometimes. Something has changed in the forum, but the above should work for you. the only thing I added was

else {
         recall.send();
    }
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram

studioj

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:56 pm

that worked, thank you!!