old script

Dewdman42

Update, this script has been replaced by this much better one: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=143326

Here is a script which can be used for handling the common situation of articulations in a multi, where each midi channel in the multi is handling each different articulation. This script will also intelligently propagate CC message across the midi channels involved whenever notes are sustaining on those other channels. Channel 1 is considered the source channel.

In basic operation it can handle up to 16 different articulations, numbered 1-16, which will automatically channelize all incoming events to 16 matching midi channels. The script can also be configured through the GUI to handle Vienna Ensemble Pro Multi-port mode, where up to 253 articulations can automatically be sent to ports/channels. Articulations 1-16 go to port 0, articulations 17-32 go to port 1, etc..

Installation

1. Copy the the attached PST file into ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Scripter/
    ChannelizeClonev1.11.pst

Usage

1. Create an instrument track and load the multi instrument of your choice, such as Kontakt. This track should be set to channel 1.
  2. Create an articulation set. Note that the output section should not contain any output keyswitches. This must be handled by the script.
    artset.jpg.fa546942b14503e5cf169881aaaea095.jpgoutput.jpg.9c1bd63eeb7b500684d73d4edf6c4ba7.jpg
  3. The input switch section is optional. If you create matching entries there, then you will be able to use switches as you perform to channelize midi events.
    input.jpg.83049422c5ba99321227099afaf92c35.jpg
  4. Put an instance of Scripter on the inst channel. Open the GUI and select the ChannelizeClone preset.
    channel.jpg.be1f32b3bcdff1bea631e07d3b9f8c2d.jpg
  5. Note that the GUI has an option to turn on or off VEP multiport mode. Leave it off if you're not using VEP. It will still work if its on, but extra midi data is produced to facilitate multi-port mode in VEP, so leave it off if you're not using it.
    ui.jpg.376ed90ca1c03a0f39da57a45085f43a.jpg

Notes

1. On a single instrument track you can create a region with notes and assign articulation's by name to each note. When you hit play, you will observe the notes are channelized to the multi and CC events should also be propagated across the channels properly.
  2. Note that any CC message which have their own articulation id assigned in the range 1-16 will also be channelized directly to the appropriate channel and will not be propagated across to other channels. Only CC messages on channel 1 without articulation id will be propagated.

Future

1. Cloning of pitchbend and aftertouch in addition to CC
  2. Recognize incoming VEP multiport encoding (CC99) in order to channelize each port separately
  3. Ability to specify a list of source ports/channels which will all be channelized relative to the source channel
  4. VST/AU version

Please feel free to submit comments or suggestions and I will improve the script over time as needed.

Edited by Dewdman42

Guys. I appreciate all the advice, but I'm still stuck back on installing the damn thing! I don't find an "A.G CH. Switch" tool to import. I tried importing a Logic "Enviro Channel Switcher" into a Environment layer, but got what looked like several switchers all jumbled up. I think that Ivan and Boris are tired of dealing with me. They are no longer responding to my emails. I'll probably have to just say goodbye to my $100. I only hope that I haven't screwed up my original Logic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dewdman

As I mentioned I'm running Logic Pro and East West Hollywood orchestra

I've installed it and I open Logic, set up a track with Play and then open Scripter in MIDI FX on the track.

From here I see ChannelizeClonev1.11 and I select it.

I don't enable VEP.

Here's where I'm a little lost (a lot lost really)

My window pop ups don't look like your windows on your logicprohelp link.

I'm not sure what to do next?

I'd like to be able to use your script to access the articulations of the instruments.

(not just for The EastWest stuff, any instrument.)

This is the window that pops up

Any guesses where I went wrong?

1359127381_ScreenShot2018-05-02at2_05_12PM.png.64a253c3442227e64e937d6401f3d75d.png

The script window is not of much use to you. For now I am only releasing this script in encrypted form, which is why you don't see any script code you can understand. But there is nothing else to configure in the script for basic operation. Just turn VEP mode on or off, that's it.

Then basically it will listen for articulation ID's in events and channelize them all, as explained above.

If you want to do additional key switching and what not, then do that in a separate script.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I create LPX custom articulation sets for EastWest Play, and learned a few things in the process.

- Make sure that for your midi settings on your track, that your MIDI channel is set to "all". IMPORTANT!

- Load whatever libraries/articulations you want on the track into EW

- Assign each of the patches in EW to it's own midi channel

- create the articulations in the LPX articulation set and map them to the proper MIDI channel for that articulation in EW. You can also create a keyswitch assignment for them, if that's how you prefer to record. It's sometimes easier to open the editor, select the articulation you want to use, and record from there. You can also record and then go back and select notes in the editor, and assign them to the appropriate articulation (right-click on the note selection to set the articulation)

- You can also select patches in EW that are keyswitched themselves, and I do that often as well. Then when you select an articulation in LPX that is an EW keyswitched one, you'd need to add the corresponding EW keyswitch note into the track to get whichever EW articulation you want. This is a little more clumsy but works if you want to take advantage of EW keyswitched patches along with additional articulations not in the patch.

There are good videos you YT that demonstrate how to use LPX custom articulation sets, you should be comfortable with doing that first.

Unfortunately The LPX articulation set feature does not propagate CC, PB and AT messages across to the other channels along with the notes.

The main point of this script is to get that behavior.

I thought I did another script that only does propagation of CC, PB and AT, without the actual channelizing, so that you could use it in combination with ArticulationSet channelizing, but I can't remember now, maybe I never finished it...I'll check later.

Another bug I found recently in the articulation set LPX feature, if you try to send multiple key switches for an articulation, combined with channelizing; only the first keyswitch is channelized properly, the 2nd and 3rd keyswitch are not.

Yea, so see this thread for a different script that ONLY propagates CC messages: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=139186&p=714892&hilit=CC+Chaser#p714892

You should be able to use that in combination with your articulationset to make sure CC messages on the midi track are chased over to the channels where notes are sustaining.

I will eventually update that script to propagate PitchBend and Aftertouch messages in addition to CC messages. Not sure when though. I'm also working on an AU plugin that does all this and more, so not much time to spend on Scripter lately.

However, note the above bug regarding LPX channelizing behavior and multiple key switches in combination.

If you use, for example, cc11 on your source track for expression or cc1 or whatever.... those cc events are only going to the source channel and not to the other channels for other articulations. This script will make sure cc’s are also channelized to any of the channels that currently have notes sustaining. Apple needs to add this to built in functionality but it’s not there now and kind of mandatory.

• 6 months later...