What is Logics Scripter?

Craig6973

You can use programming language to create bespoke MIDI processors. This can be anything from a simple transposing tool to a highly sophisticated probability driven drum groove humanizer. Once programmed, you use it like a plugin, with whatever control buttons and sliders are set up on its surface.

No, in contrast to other areas of the software, the documentation of available JavaScript commands and their audio/MIDI/DAW-specific application is quite rudimentary in Logic's manual. It seems you're supposed to either know JS already well enough to float, or reverse engineer the included Scripter presets, or both. I personally find neither acceptable in commercial software.

Thank fuzzfilth appreciate Your advice

I guess what I do is just continue learn basic Javascript and like You said read the logic Manuel

and over time I hopefully will start to see patterns

I notice You have scripts in this forum are those scripts for video Logic Scripter or made with another programing ?

Yea, the docs on Scripter are sparse. The manual built into LogicPro and MainStage have extremely basic descriptions. You can spend some time reading through many posts in the MIDIFx section of this forum and probably learn some stuff...but otherwise its definitely a thing where those of us using it have kind of hacked around with it for a few years until we understand it pretty well. Feel free to ask questions here!

The good news is that Scripter is actually pretty straight forward, there actually isn't that much to it. There dozen or too little things you kind of have to learn about or figure out the hard way, but in the end, there just less then a dozen functions to learn what they do....and a few basics, then off you go...and at that point you just gotta learn generic javascript...and most of the time you don't have to use a lot of crazy javascript either...mainly straight and simple Javascript. Learn about JSON, arrays, a little simple things in javascript...the basics of the language...you'll be off and running.

Ok been trying to learn basic JavaScript

In Logic Pro X Scripter is there a command where I can get a list of all the commands and definitions that I need to learn to create in Scripter ?

There is no command line --help, but there is the well documented manual here.

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/scripter-api-overview-lgce3905a48c/mac

The Tutorial Scripts describe the Titles objects in a basic usage, the scripts above Tutorial Scripts show what you can do with Scripter.

Scripter.png.9d6b5d53c3402c064001275659b7f278.png

Yea, the docs on Scripter are sparse. The manual built into LogicPro and MainStage have extremely basic descriptions. You can spend some time reading through many posts in the MIDIFx section of this forum and probably learn some stuff...but otherwise its definitely a thing where those of us using it have kind of hacked around with it for a few years until we understand it pretty well. Feel free to ask questions here!

The good news is that Scripter is actually pretty straight forward, there actually isn't that much to it. There dozen or too little things you kind of have to learn about or figure out the hard way, but in the end, there just less then a dozen functions to learn what they do....and a few basics, then off you go...and at that point you just gotta learn generic javascript...and most of the time you don't have to use a lot of crazy javascript either...mainly straight and simple Javascript. Learn about JSON, arrays, a little simple things in javascript...the basics of the language...you'll be off and running.

Thanks Dewdman42 very much appreciate that

Over at Udemy here is the free course I have taking at the moment if You know of a better one that’s be great

https://www.udemy.com/course/javascript-beginner-lessons/learn/lecture/20367823#content

Hi Sorry for dumb question what is Scripter ?

I came across it in midi panel and for just looking through the midi fx

And How can it be useful ?

That's up to your imagination :mrgreen:

Heavy usage of scripts in that video

Thanks ValliSoftware

Wow!!! there is a lot You can do with it as I see

Thanks Dewdman42 very much appreciate that

Over at Udemy here is the free course I have taking at the moment if You know of a better one that’s be great

https://www.udemy.com/course/javascript-beginner-lessons/learn/lecture/20367823#content

Most javascript courses, including this one, focus a lot on HTML processing. Most people scripting with javascript are in fact writing stuff that runs in the browser. But Scripter doesn't use ANY of that stuff at all...so I think that will just be confusing to you.

You truly don't need very much javascript knowledge, just the very basics..how to make a loop, how to use an array, how to do if then statements, basic stuff like that. Start with that and then you can easily pickup what you need later online there are a million javascript resources on the net with all the info you need at any time.

Here is a Scripter tutorial that was made by Peter Schwartz and I think pretty good intro, specifically to Scripter...currently free it seems:

https://www.macprovideo.com/course/logic-midi-fx-scripting-with-peter-schwartz

• 2 weeks later...

Well I see like You said Dewdman42 a lot people teach using HTML

So I am just learn the basic so I can get the JavaScript to show up in the browser

I came across this place to practice what I been learning some HTML and some JavaScript

Place called codepen.io

And found a iOS app called SoloLearn to learn JavaScript

This what I have so far but do I questions

https://codepen.io/bcraig6973/pen/jOBPzeB?editors=1001

This

Well I see like You said Dewdman42 a lot people teach using HTML

So I am just learn the basic so I can get the JavaScript to show up in the browser

I came across this place to practice what I been learning some HTML and some JavaScript

Place called codepen.io

And found a iOS app called SoloLearn to learn JavaScript

This what I have so far but do I questions

https://codepen.io/bcraig6973/pen/jOBPzeB?editors=1001

Cool, you're on your way! There are many tutorials to learn the basics of javascript on the net. Here's a great one: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/introduction-to-javascript/lessons/introduction-to-javascript/exercises/intro

However if your goal is to use Scripter you'll want to quickly get your hands dirty and actually do some simple programs in Scripter, or ask questions on how to do something very simple, then slowly build around it to make it more complex. There's nothing like working with actual musical applications for your javascript code. You can start with some scripts here or you can start with the official Logic Pro manual on Scripter: https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/scripter-api-overview-lgce3905a48c/mac

To really understand what's going on with your code, pick an Editor that supports debugging JavaScript.

After that, to emulate Logic Pro X outside of Logic Pro X, you'll need to create an emulator.

Once you have an emulator, you can fully debug your Scripter object outside of Logic Pro X and catch the errors of your logic design as well as typos.

Typo's always kill me. :mrgreen:

Thanks David for links

The Apple one and Codecademy

And yes been trying to go through some of the tutorials

Seems all of them have this is common

function HandleMIDI(event);

Event.send();

I was wondering what are the basic rules that I need know that will work in both JavaScript and Logics Scripter?

Because Did not seem to work I guest it is for web only

Thanks ValliSoftware for that do have a easy JavaScript editor do you have in mind ?

I was wondering what are the basic rules that I need know that will work in both JavaScript and Logics Scripter?

I'm not sure what you mean. Logic's Scripter is a MIDI FX Plug-in that allow you to process MIDI data and that uses JavaScript as its programming language. So you're programming in JavaScript, that's the language. For example read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145181&p=755446

Because Did not seem to work I guest it is for web only

HTML is another language, different from JavaScript so no, HTML won't help you in Scripter. And indeed, HTML was conceived to layout data in an internet browser.

Thanks David very much appreciated for the link

That my end goal

My goal down the road as I Learn is trying to create a scripting tool to aide me when creating my own samples

Still thinking about what that is

But now I just like learn the easy thing there is to make in scripter and build from there

I agree. You need a very specific problem to solve, decide on which path you will solve it (Environment ? Scripter ? Tracks Stacks ?etc.) based on each path's pros and cons, then work out how to exactly describe the problem in the chosen area, then the solution will usually be quite simple to find, if not implement.

Long gone are the days (if they ever existed ) where you learned 100% of the craft only to occasionally use 15% of it later on. Today's world of youtube tutorials, blogs and forums gives you the solution to a specific problem immediately, then your task is to connect and not forget all these building blocks.

You'll end up with a much less rigid foundation of knowledge where you pretty much know only what you actually need/use, and glaring holes in between, but hey, if a bird's bones didn't have holes, it wouldn't be able to fly...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Place Logic scripters after a MIDI Generating program and get even cooler results.

Even though I focus on the ARP, there's scripters (as you can see in the MIDIFX section of each track) adjusting MIDI that was generated by Instacomposer.