Working with 3 quickly accessible tools

David Nahmani

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
I can use the left- and right-side tools --no problem-- but I've never been able to use the middle tool without reaching for a key.

I have 2 questions for you:

1. How are you accessing the Right Click tool without holding down a key on your Magic Trackpad?

2. What are your 3 assigned tools?

My three tool preferences are (left to right) Pointer Tool, Marquee Tool, and Scissors Tool. A two-tiger tap makes a snip with the Scissors Tool.

Since posting, I have been considering third-party software and even footswitches, but... Logic is so packed to the gills with that kind of configurability I kinda thought I was just overlooking something. (Which of course could still be the case.) :lol:

edit: The tricky one is the Marquee Tool, because it needs to lasso stuff (instead of just click).

My three tool preferences are (left to right) Pointer Tool, Marquee Tool, and Scissors Tool. A two-tiger tap makes a snip with the Scissors Tool.

Since posting, I have been considering third-party software and even footswitches, but... Logic is so packed to the gills with that kind of configurability I kinda thought I was just overlooking something. (Which of course could still be the case.)

edit: The tricky one is the Marquee Tool, because it needs to lasso stuff (instead of just click).

Right. I use two finger tap for Right Click Tool as well.

In regards to the Middle tool, since your Command /Middle click is the Marquee tool all you have to do is turn on Marquee Tool click zones in Preferences. With that setting on all you have to do to bring up the Middle Tool is hover over the bottom half of any region with your cursor. The cursor will automatically switch to the Marquee tool without needing to hold down any modifier keys with your left hand.

omg... THAT's what I missed! I had that set for years, but I recently had to rebuild my computer and lost many preferences. (No song data lost, tho! *whew*) And that Preferences > Editing page was sitting open on my desktop at that moments; had been all day! :::DOH!:::

Thanks so much for taking the time to straighten me out!

omg... THAT's what I missed! I had that set for years, but I recently had to rebuild my computer and lost many preferences. (No song data lost, tho! *whew*) And that Preferences > Editing page was sitting open on my desktop at that moments; had been all day! :::DOH!:::

Thanks so much for taking the time to straighten me out!

Sure :) I think you'll benefit greatly from this free app: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/logic-pro-expert/2019/1/15/preference-manager-for-logic-pro-x-amp-pro-tools

In the future you can just restore the backup you made of your Logic Preferences :)