Save Patch with Aux without creating Summing Stack [HACK]

Eric Cardenas

There's a limitation, in place right now, regarding saving patches and including the aux and bus routings.

The workaround is to use a Summing Stack but this is not always so elegant.

Here's an alternative method:

1. Create a channel strip and create one or many bus routings.

1896662884_1.Channels.png.8873970d6230a0472d98ce28fa923f0c.png

2. Create tracks for the aux channel strips and make a summing stack of them.

1964314901_2.Sumitup.png.a0214f51b102e733179f07cbf029001b.png

3. Open the MIDI environment and locate the original channel strip. Drag and drop it over the Sum track then delete the redundant duplicate track inside the stack.

1316402260_3.Subtract.png.3e36d93cbb7de79592527f11f1295e72.png

4. You will see a that the channel strips now are grouped. Save it as your new patch.

2125788953_4.Groupedchannels.png.d73dc350d08df5bd394ae8042d08960f.png

I don't know how this holds up, as it's clearly a hack, but it appears to work consistently.

/Eric

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
There's a limitation, in place right now, regarding saving patches and including the aux and bus routings.

The workaround is to use a Summing Stack but this is not always so elegant.

Here's an alternative method:

1. Create a channel strip and create one or many bus routings.

1. Channels.png

2. Create tracks for the aux channel strips and make a summing stack of them.

2. Sum it up.png

3. Open the MIDI environment and locate the original channel strip. Drag and drop it over the Sum track then delete the redundant duplicate track inside the stack.

3. Subtract.png

4. You will see a that the channel strips now are grouped. Save it as your new patch.

4. Grouped channels.png

I don't know how this holds up, as it's clearly a hack, but it appears to work consistently.

/Eric

Ok so I decided to try this today, because I want to save some patches. I don't get a few things:

1 - does this hack provide anything new that the summing track doesn't or is it just an aesthetic thing? Like, instead of having a summing track with the channel strip and busses inside, then you have only the channel strip and the busses?

2 - If I open a factory patch for a software instrument or even an audio patch, it creates the auxs, but when I try to save it, it doesn't save with the auxs. Is this the normal behavior and the only way is to really create tracks for the auxs and save them all together? It's just weird that it's possible since the factory patches include them and create them when necessary, but we can't save them without creating the tracks for the auxs. Am I missing something?

thanks! :)

1. It saves an additional bus/aux. 

2. Yes, this is normal behaviour and it is what I was trying to circumvent using this method.

The factory patches have a slightly different configuration with additional mappings.

Thanks for the reply! :) I will try your method again and will try to really see the differences between the two to understand the advantage. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because I couldn't understand the benefit. But thanks for the workaround and I hope apple changes this. It really doesn't make sense, if it works for their patches. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Eric .... your 'tip' is going to save me a lot of work. It's more than just with the 'saving the AUX in the patch trick.

With a patch like this, my MIDI controller (Panorama P1) sees everything correctly.

No setup or custom configurations are needed ... because the Instrument has the focus .... and the SENDs are subordinates of the instrument that are displayed on my MIDI controller's LCD exactly as they should.

When the patch has the AUX at the top of the hierarchy .... I could not 'get to' the instrument easily via the MIDI controller.

Thanks again, Eric. You're always great help here on LPH

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...