OS X El Capitan - Not supported Software and Hardware

OS X El Capitan - Not supported Software and Hardware

Today is the release date of Apple's latest Operating System.

As many of you know, some application and drivers are bound to break.

This thread is meant to be a quick overview of the things that aren't yet ready for OS X 10.11.

Please post your findings and I'll update this first post with the latest info.

Software that needs to be updated

• iZotope. -"With the release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, your iZotope software may not properly validate in Logic Pro X".
    iZotope & Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Audio Plug-in Compatibility
  • Slate Digital. - "Please note that we are not currently supporting OSX 10.11 El Capitan".
  • Gobbler 2.0 app. At this time, we cannot guarantee compatibility with El Capitan.

• Finale. -"In our testing with the latest beta versions of El Capitan, we’ve discovered some new incompatibilities with Finale 2014d"

• Serato, Serato DJ and DJ Intro are not supported.

Hardware that needs to be updated

• UAD
    • Apollo models connecting via FireWire (UAD v8.3.0) are not compatible at this time.
      Apollo models connecting via Thunderbolt (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

• UAD-2 Satellite FireWire models connecting via a Mac FireWire port (UAD v8.3.0) are not compatible at this time.
      UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt models (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.
      UAD-2 Satellite FireWire models connecting via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

• UAD-2 PCIe cards in internal PCIe slots with UAD v8.3.0 are not compatible at this time.
      UAD-2 PCIe cards connecting via a Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

Discontinued hardware and software

- May still work but has no further support. For further details contact the manufacturer.

Software that has been fixed

√ Most issues with Au-validations have been fixed in OS X 10.11.1.

• NI plug-ins do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11. [FIXED]
  • EastWest. - "Please be advised EW plug-ins (PLAY and SPACES) do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11 and Logic Pro". [FIXED]
  • Arturia - El Capitan compatibility:

Our testing team is still working on the qualification of the Arturia software instruments with the new Mac OS X 10.11, El Capitan . At that point, from what we see, this update may affect operations of these instruments when in Audio Unit or standalone mode. [FIXED]

Hardware that has been fixed

• MOTU

If you own one of the USB-equipped MOTU audio or MIDI interfaces listed below, MOTU has just released public beta drivers (at the links below) that are required for OS X El Capitan compatibility. You must install the beta driver before you can use your MOTU product listed below with El Capitan. If you do not wish to install beta software on your computer, and your MOTU interface offers FireWire or Thunderbolt connectivity, you can use FireWire or Thunderbolt instead of USB for connectivity to OS X El Capitan. However, if you require USB connectivity to El Capitan for one of the products listed below, the public beta drivers below are required. Finalized drivers will be available as soon as possible.

Audio Interfaces:

Audio USB public beta driver download for 10.11 - Beta 2 (October 9, 2015)

• 828x
  • Track 16
  • MicroBook II
  • 8pre USB
  • 4pre
  • Audio Express
  • UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid
  • 896mk3 Hybrid
  • 828mk3 Hybrid
  • Legacy MOTU USB audio interfaces

MIDI Interfaces:

MIDI USB public beta driver download for 10.11 - Beta 2 (October 9, 2015)

MIDI Express XT
MIDI Express 128
micro express
micro lite
FastLane
Legacy MOTU USB MIDI interfaces

[*]Nektar Panorama.

We have found some issues during the process of testing Panorama with the latest beta version of OS X 10.11 that we currently are working on resolving.[FIXED]

About the compatibility and the broken QWERTY macro functionality:

Panorama compatible with OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

[*]Incompatibility with some older NI hardware : [FIXED]

• TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
  • TRAKTOR KONTROL X1 (MK1)
  • TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
  • AUDIO 8 DJ
  • AUDIO 4 DJ
  • AUDIO 2 DJ
  • MASCHINE (MK1)
  • GUITAR RIG 3 (RIG KONTROL 3 hardware)

There are beta drivers already available that fix this issue. Updated drivers will be released as soon as they have been fully tested on OS X 10.11 – shortly after Apple releases OS X 10.11 to the public.

NI announces full compatibility.

OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) Compatibility News | Knowledge Base | Support

[*]Steinberg. -"Our first tests show that different issues occur when running Steinberg products under OS X 10.11. We therefore cannot recommend our customers to update to El Capitan". [FIXED]

Audio interface El Capitan compatibility update

Detailview :  | https://www.steinberg.net/

[*]Line 6. "We have discovered an incompatibility of the Line 6 USB audio driver version 7.3.8 and Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan. After updating to MacOS 10.11 the Line 6 USB audio driver will no longer pass audio. Line 6 applications that rely on this driver, for example Line 6 Monkey, will therefore not process audio or allow hardware configuration changes. We highly recommend you do not update to Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan in order to maintain correct Line 6 USB audio driver functionality. We apologize for the inconvenience and we will publish an updated driver soon." [FIXED]

The following Line 6 devices are affected:

• Bass PODxt
  • Bass PODxt Live
  • Bass PODxt Pro
  • GuitarPort
  • POD HD
  • POD HD Pro
  • POD HD300
  • POD HD400
  • POD HD500
  • POD HD500X
  • POD Studio GX
  • POD Studio KB37
  • POD Studio UX1
  • POD Studio UX2
  • POD X3
  • POD X3 Live
  • POD X3 Pro
  • PODxt
  • PODxt Live
  • PODxt Pro
  • StageScape M20d
  • TonePort DI-Gold
  • TonePort DI-Silver
  • TonePort GX
  • TonePort KB37
  • TonePort UX1
  • TonePort UX2
  • TonePort UX8

UPDATED: New Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan Driver 7.5.7 Released - Line 6 Community

I received an email from MakeMusic stating the their Finale 2014 program is not ready for El Capitan.

:(

Thanks! I updated the first post with your information.

iZotope software may have issues validating in El Capitan as well. They have posted a workaround on their website

https://www.izotope.com/support/kb/index.php/kb/article/700-How_to_validate_iZotope_software_for_Logic_Pro_X_and_Final_Cut_X_in_OS_X_10.11_El_Capitan

Thanks for the link.

I'll add it to the end of that list since they provide a viable workaround.

I know you don't have a category for this, but I'm keeping a personal list of software companies that have NOT announced compatibility/incompatibility yet so I can keep tabs on them since it appears I won't be updating to El Capitan yet

...these yearly OS updates are getting really exhausting :( not only for us users, but I bet the devs are getting really annoyed as well!

Both WAVES and SPECTRASONICS have not announced compatibility yet.

I know you don't have a category for this...

I'm not adding any other categories right now for the sake of simplicity.

Both WAVES and SPECTRASONICS have not announced compatibility yet.

There are many manufacturers that haven't announced anything.

But we will probably have user experiences coming in soon enough. :)

As some of you may know, I am EastWest's Online Coordinator. Here is the word from EW:

Please be advised EW plug-ins (PLAY and SPACES) do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11 and Logic Pro. We have been in contact with Apple regarding a solution but at this time EW users (and other audio companies posting similar warnings) should not upgrade to the El Capitan release.

Ok guys and girls!

El Capitan 10.11 is officially released.

Keep the reports of non working software and hardware coming, all of you that are brave enough to install.

Remember that there are many reasons to wait. It's often good advice to at least wait for the .1 maybe even the .2 release. Keep an eye out on this list to see if you are affected by any of the reported issues before thinking about taking the plunge.

And last but not least: Backup, backup, backup!

Just found out that everything except the Duet and Ensemble Firewire products are fully supported in El Capitan. You need to download the latest software on the ApogeeDigital website.

For Ensemble Firewire users, I was told that Apogee is due to run a campaign starting Monday where you can trade in your old hardware for a discount on the upgrade. We'll see...

For Ensemble Firewire users, I was told that Apogee is due to run a campaign starting Monday where you can trade in your old hardware for a discount on the upgrade. We'll see...

Jup!

It's the end of the line for these products. :(

Well, I hope it's only end of the line for support, not functionality. I never needed their support anyway. I expect these interfaces will be fine for a while and the Apogee Firewire will work in Logic Pro X with El Capitan. I'm not going to make the leap for a while.

Thanks for posting this thread, btw. Very helpful.

Just found out that everything except the Duet and Ensemble Firewire products are fully supported in El Capitan. You need to download the latest software on the ApogeeDigital website.

Yeah, it's BS that they are dropping the Duet and Ensemble FireWire units considering El Cap is basically a maintenance release. I hope at least these will still work on El Cap (anyone who tries, please report back) as I have an Ensemble and not willing to fork up the big bucks for the new Tbolt Ensemble just to have a working audio interface again. But, considering they need low-level drivers, I'm not holding much hope they'll still function. :(

Yeah, it's BS that they are dropping the Duet and Ensemble FireWire units considering El Cap is basically a maintenance release. I hope at least these will still work on El Cap (anyone who tries, please report back) as I have an Ensemble and not willing to fork up the big bucks for the new Tbolt Ensemble just to have a working audio interface again. But, considering they need low-level drivers, I'm not holding much hope they'll still function. 

Sad that my Duet firewire is no longer supported, as you say it’s basically a maintenance release.

However, the Duet seems to be working ok after the update.

Running vanilla Logic with no 3rd party plugins here.

The first time I started logic after the update I saw the splash screen and Audio Units validate ok.

However when I start Logic now I don’t see any Splash screen at all? Logic opens quickly and is ready to go?

So is Apple going to be fixing something to get things all sorted out with the 3rd party sources or is it on all these companies to come up with updates to their software and plugins? Cause if that is the case 10.12 will be out before any of this is smooth sailing.

I fear this may be the case. As far as I'm concerned Apple has turned it's back on the audio production community, thrown it back on the developers and basically said here... you figure out out now, and we as users are left holding the bag so to speak. They could have eased into this a bit better as far as I'm concerned. It seems worse this time around overall. Not happy....

(sorry for the rant)

In any case, does the izotope workaround help any other non validating plugs or just izotope?

https://www.izotope.com/support/kb/index.php/kb/article/700-How_to_validate_iZotope_software_for_Logic_Pro_X_and_Final_Cut_X_in_OS_X_10.11_El_Capitan

If apple didn't care about audio production they would have just kept AU version 2 forever. I think it's the opposite, they genuinely want to improve the audio capabilities on mac but it's going to require some pain from developers. Looking at the WWDC stuff this year they made it very obvious that there were major changes to audio code. Some developers kept up with that and were ready, and others didn't even start testing their software until now. When software needs to be updated, there's only so much Apple can do to get developers to actually do it. For some, it takes the OS update actually coming out and breaking the software for the work to get done.

It's possible that Apple could have come up with solutions that made for a smoother transition, I just don't agree with the notion of turning their back on the audio community.

So is Apple going to be fixing something to get things all sorted out with the 3rd party sources or is it on all these companies to come up with updates to their software and plugins? Cause if that is the case 10.12 will be out before any of this is smooth sailing.

I fear this may be the case. As far as I'm concerned Apple has turned it's back on the audio production community, thrown it back on the developers and basically said here... you figure out out now, and we as users are left holding the bag so to speak. They could have eased into this a bit better as far as I'm concerned. It seems worse this time around overall. Not happy....

(sorry for the rant)

In any case, does the izotope workaround help any other non validating plugs or just izotope?

:roll: LX 10.2 is great. all my plugins work (10.11.1b). and the developers and apple are dealing with any incompatibilities. how does this suggest that apple has 'turned it's back on the audio community'? things will, as always, get sorted out. and some of us are able to do all our work right now...